Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2017, 03:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Selecting recording folder.

I use to go to photographic excursions with a friend. We prefer to not take similar lenses, for instance if I mount a telephoto zoom she mounts a wide prime. That is so that when I need a wide lens I borrow hers for a snap or two and when she feels she needs a longer lens she borrows mine. She uses an other camera brand in which she will have created a folder just for me. Before she gives me her camera changes the recording folder to the one dedicated to me. After I return her the camera she changes back the folder to the one with her own photographs. I can not do the same with my K-5, I had in the past asked about it in this forum. The most I can do is to create a new folder in the K-5 every time it changes hands. In the end I have multiple folders for me and others for her and I take the risk to get confused.
My question is: Is there any at all digital Pentax body that can select recording folder from the already created? I do not mind if it is very old, I will search and buy it from ebay. I need this feature.

12-15-2017, 05:36 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take a spare sd card... I'm not aware of any way to do this on Pentax.
12-15-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The newer bodies have dual SD card slots. If you need a way to separate photos, switch SD card slots when your cameras switch hands.
12-15-2017, 06:58 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
Is there any at all digital Pentax body that can select recording folder from the already created? I do not mind if it is very old, I will search and buy it from ebay. I need this feature.
Your camera has a feature that allows creation of a new storage folder on demand.
menu > setup 2 > Create New Folder
I hope this helps.

Steve

12-15-2017, 07:17 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Your camera has a feature that allows creation of a new storage folder on demand.
menu > setup 2 > Create New Folder
I hope this helps.

Steve
Steve - can you name it? And once you do that can you go back to using an older folder or are you stuck with the new one until you make another?
12-15-2017, 07:53 PM   #6

I believe when you create a new folder it increments the number, e.g. 101PENTX, 102PENTX. On later models I believe you can change PENTX to some other 5 character alphanumerics.

You could always switch between Date Format and PENTX. Shooter A goes into date folders, e.g. 101_1215. Shooter B goes into 101PENTX.
12-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Steve - can you name it? And once you do that can you go back to using an older folder or are you stuck with the new one until you make another?
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I believe when you create a new folder it increments the number, e.g. 101PENTX, 102PENTX. On later models I believe you can change PENTX to some other 5 character alphanumerics.

You could always switch between Date Format and PENTX. Shooter A goes into date folders, e.g. 101_1215. Shooter B goes into 101PENTX.
^ ^ ^ What they said ^ ^ ^

I am curious as to what cameras allow creation of new, user-named folders. Edit: Found it! The K-70, KP, and K-1 do support user-defined folder names.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2017 at 08:44 PM.
12-16-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
^ ^ ^ What they said ^ ^ ^

I am curious as to what cameras allow creation of new, user-named folders. Edit: Found it! The K-70, KP, and K-1 do support user-defined folder names.

Steve
I think this feature has been around for while longer, but not sure. Maybe only filenames were customizable before.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2017, 02:32 AM   #9
Ole
Administrator

We've used this trick in the past: Snap a shot of your shoe before you starting using the camera. She to do the same. It's then easy to extract her images on the computer afterwards.
12-16-2017, 04:40 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have a friend (no, honestly, I do !), and our way round this situation is not only to have a different card each, but she borrows my K10D while I use the K20D. If I started to take photos of her shoes, she'd be convinced I am weirder than she already thinks ! She has a small bag with a 28-80 and 80-200 lens in, plus cable release and spirit level, while I carry my full kit, so she can borrow whatever she needs. Two tripods, obviously. Great fun getting on and off buses with that lot, but it works for us.
12-16-2017, 04:47 AM   #11
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

possible solution from a film day technique

my dad would always start off a roll of film by taking a photo of a note card with his name, address and phone number

the idea was if the camera was lost ( as opposed to stolen ) the film when developed would have info on who it belong to and how to contact

it also allowed lost film to be recovered

you could do the same, carry a piece of paper with her name/your name and do the same trick as the shoe photos

if you are worried about someone thinking you have a shoe fetish
12-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
if you are worried about someone thinking you have a shoe fetish
Not at all - my mind is on higher things.

On a more serious thought, publicising one's address may not be a good idea, possibly suggesting to the criminal fraternity that other valuable items may be there for the taking.

Last edited by 35mmfilmfan; 12-16-2017 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Additional comment
12-16-2017, 06:34 AM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Not at all - my mind is on higher things.

On a more serious thought, publicising one's address may not be a good idea, possibly suggesting to the criminal fraternity that other valuable items may be there for the taking.
you always take chances in life

that is why you insure things

if you plug your computer into the wall accessing the web, you take chances

if they know what they are doing will you ever know what is revealed until after the fact
12-16-2017, 09:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
my dad would always start off a roll of film by taking a photo of a note card with his name, address and phone number

the idea was if the camera was lost ( as opposed to stolen ) the film when developed would have info on who it belong to and how to contact
This is what I do, too.
After formatting an SD card I photograph such a card first.

Didn't help to get my stolen K5 back, though.
12-19-2017, 11:27 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Good suggestions.

Thank you all for replying, I think there are some good suggestions in them that I had not thought off.