Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #1

Pentax 645 after I load film and turn it on, it makes sound but would not advancefilm

Hi, I have Penta 645. After I load film, and turn it on, it will start make noise, like it is advancing film, but it would not stop till I turn it off. The film is not advance. Is there a quick fix that I can do it myself or I will have to bring it for repair ?
Thank you

12-16-2017, 09:15 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has it worked before? I know that the film can be a little tricky to load, so I'd double check that everything is inserted properly.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2017, 10:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Are you manually advancing the film to the point where you see the arrows on the film leader appear? If not, the film is probably slipping out of the advancing spool when the camera tries to wind to the first exposure.
12-16-2017, 10:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Funny, mine just did this last week. Try new batteries. Fixed mine right up!

12-17-2017, 12:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by igoryudovich Quote
Hi, I have Penta 645. After I load film, and turn it on, it will start make noise, like it is advancing film, but it would not stop till I turn it off. The film is not advance. Is there a quick fix that I can do it myself or I will have to bring it for repair ?
IF you load the film properly, it should not advance to the first shot until you press the shutter release button.

IF you did press the shutter release, and then this happens, it means the paper leader tongue slipped off the take up spool. Reinsert and make sure you do advance the film until the arrows line up with the marks on the film back.

IF you've done all this correctly, then either there is a broken gear (could be the film back or in the camera) or a faulty electronic circuit which will need repair.

If you post photos of these key steps, we can better verify if it's your fault or the equipment.
12-25-2021, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by igoryudovich Quote
Thank you
I had the very same problem. I suspected the mechanical transport gears. After removing the left side cover, leatherette covering and dust plate, I discovered that the plastic gears were stripped....badly. I managed to obtain another 645 body be sold on eBay as parts: $118.00.

I took that camera apart in the same way and the gears were nearly brand new. I am in the process of removing the top of the camera to install the new gears.

I am really handy around mechanical things, and have miniature tools. You can pursue this "DIY" if you are really careful, methodical and can find the parts.

I am new to this camera, but have repaired other cameras. I don't know who has parts for this incredible camera; I have really looked. That's how I discovered this site.

Lastly, I do not know who to send the camera to for repair. I would like to learn that for sure.

Ross