Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2017, 11:16 AM   #1

Pentax K500 with Sigma Macro 50mm f/2.8 compatibility

Hey,

I’ve recently purchased the sigma macro lens on eBay, yet it doesn’t seem to work with my k500. I’m looking some advice or clarity as to why, if I am doing something wrong or missing something simple, or that they just won’t work together.

I’ve done some research into the lens and I can’t find a lot on it. Just one or two reviews. I was hoping to use it digitally scanning 35mm film.

I’ve tried putting camera into all the modes available, using Manuel focus switch on left side of camera body, as that is what the lens is. I am wondering could this lens be affected my the Ricoh issue that some K mounts have? Or I’ve possibly be sold a dud. Any help would be appreciated!

A few photos below hopefully to help

12-17-2017, 12:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If there's an "A" setting on the aperture ring, be sure to select it. Otherwise, follow these steps:

How to use/meter Manual & M42 Lenses on all Pentax DSLRs (K-1, K-3, K-5, K-30, etc) - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-17-2017, 12:06 PM   #3

Does the lens have an aperture ring? Is it set to "A"?
12-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #4

Original Poster

12-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Those photos didn't come through for me. I think the lens is this one: Sigma 50mm F2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database - which should have an A position on the aperture ring. It does have a Ricoh pin but it's rounded and has never gotten stuck on my three cameras. When you mount the lens and turn on the camera, it should ask you for the focal length, that's normal. If the aperture ring is set to A you should see the aperture setting on the display and viewfinder.
12-17-2017, 05:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the fast replies!

Yes putting the lens to to "A" setting has done the trick. Something as simple as that!