Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2017, 05:58 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Evaluating new equipment

Is there an article with a list of tests to perform after acquiring new equipment? i.e. dslr body, lens evaluation.

I've looked around the forum, but haven't found anything yet. I know there are the tests performed in reviews, should I use that as my guide?

If no such article, I'm asking members if they have any series of evaluations they run through on new equipment.

Thanks

12-18-2017, 06:51 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Test lenses for decentering, smooth manual focusing/zooming, and AF operation. Check the camera shutter count and verify that it's in the single digits. Take some snaps with the camera to verify that the buttons and systems are working right. Look for signs of previous use on the gear and packaging.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-18-2017, 07:10 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Adam has covered most of the things I would do when I get a new camera or lens. For newly lens, the first thing I generally do is the visual inspection of the lens, pay attention to the details such as mount area and fittings. If it is a new product, make sure it is what it is supposed to be (not a demo unit). When mounted on the camera, I usually checked the focus accuracy with the AF fine adjustment on the camera to make sure that it is getting the optimal sharpness that it can achieve.
12-18-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ref any packaging - don't dive in ! The temptation, in the excitement, is to dive in, then any evidence of already opened packing is lost. I wish I could remember this each time ;-)

12-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Ref any packaging - don't dive in ! The temptation, in the excitement, is to dive in, then any evidence of already opened packing is lost. I wish I could remember this each time ;-)
That is the hardest thing to remember! Lol
12-18-2017, 04:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Lens rental blog is must read. This is what made me take it seriously
Lens Rentals | Blog

This tells about how to set up the test target
Lens Testing. A Guide to testing camera lenses - Bob Atkins Photography

This has some background theory (Optional)
Choosing the Correct Test Target | Edmund Optics

I am only half way through my testing. I completed focus accuracy testing. I have decided not to buy any equipment if I can not dedicate time to test it within a week or two.
12-18-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the input everyone. I definitely get caught up in the moment of being ready to jump in and use the equipment and never get around to testing it. On bodies i definitely check the shutter count though. I made a larger purchase this time, so wanted to make sure I went through at least the rudimentary evaluations. pentaxfall, good idea to limit the purchase if you don't think you'll have the time to check it all out before the return period is up.

I want to end up with a checklist of items to do with new gear and dedicate the time to completing the checklist in a fairly quick period after acquisition.

thanks again, i really appreciate it! I know at least have a starting list of items for the checklist.
12-18-2017, 07:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Now I check lenses for focus at infinity. I got a lens once, had it for a couple of weeks, tested it against its replacement, everything was great. Except it didn't focus all the way to infinity.