Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
12-07-2017, 01:22 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just got a new s/h K-5 II body

Yep lashed out, now a question on the old MZ-5 i could use a manual lens and set the focal point and leave the camera and let it snap shots of things that come into focus I have forgotten how and haven't yet downloaded a manual to read through anyone know how to set a K-5II to do this and a K-m and a k10d and a istd because I would like to play with this feature. I saw it mentioned in a thread here somewhere now I jhave my k-5ii I thought I would now ask thank you.

12-07-2017, 02:21 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Custom menu 4. Make sure that no. 27 is turned on so that the shutter will fire with a lens with an aperture ring. Then set no. 25 to 'on', and select AF.S. Now, when you hold down the shutter release, it will fire when the subject is in focus.
12-07-2017, 07:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
sweet I assume this will work with a cable release with a lock on it - and thank you so much for this - Microlight.
12-07-2017, 08:21 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The feature is called, "catch in focus. "

12-10-2017, 07:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
my first snaps with the k-5ii and so far i like it its allot like my istd control wise the menu isn't over kill like the K-m, i put a sigma lens on it but will possibly change to a tamron. I know there's not much special about the photo's just test shots just need a degree of + in the exposure I only changed two settings and next I need to check the firmware after I get the AA battery Holder. I like so far but the flash functions is what will make or break the beast. I have a very positive feel about the sunset capability this will determine if I leave it auto or go for manual iso.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-10-2017, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These too
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
12-11-2017, 03:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok I just did some night shots and manual settings are the only way to go, the Iso was giving me some trouble I need more control over it I don't know yet how to manually turn off the auto so it was a case of setting it to 100-200 iso and set the aperature and shutter the way you would in the old days for crafts stuff I found cutting back on the settings a few stops compensates for the auto Iso which at present I don't like. Can anyone tell me how to set the iso to a fixed setting as I find it a loose canon at present. Thank you again for your help

12-11-2017, 03:40 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
Ok I just did some night shots and manual settings are the only way to go, the Iso was giving me some trouble I need more control over it I don't know yet how to manually turn off the auto so it was a case of setting it to 100-200 iso and set the aperature and shutter the way you would in the old days for crafts stuff I found cutting back on the settings a few stops compensates for the auto Iso which at present I don't like. Can anyone tell me how to set the iso to a fixed setting as I find it a loose canon at present. Thank you again for your help
do you have a manual for your K 5 II

here is a link in case you do not

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5-2.pdf

and a link to the Pentax Forums' " In Depth Review "

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-5-ii-iis/introduction.html
12-11-2017, 06:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/donations/?act=ebook&loginrequired=1#sub18

Scroll down, buy the k-5 series e-book.
12-11-2017, 07:30 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I printed off a pdf file the other night its currently getting binded along with my other manuals it was so reasonably priced that I did all my recipes as well. I was trying to avoid the 336 pages of reading.

First 9 images were under exposed the last was tw were almost what I wanted these are the two examples and first 9 were like the first one and it was the iso that was giving me greif as I changed settings for every shot but the auto iso compensated to give me only what it wanted to give me till I cracked down on the iso. I am amazed at the auto focus never seen a camera's AF work in such darkness. and its been about 3-4 years since the mover drive belt broke wasn't looking forward to this job 4 hours to remove the tinyest split pin what a bugger.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II  Photo 

Last edited by Kombivan; 12-11-2017 at 07:35 AM.
12-11-2017, 07:45 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

On my K-3 setting ISO away from auto is easy as there is a dedicated top button that I press and turn to change the iso. To enable auto again I press that button then the green button.

On the K-50, I think the 4way controller did they heavy lifting on iso.

Also on the k-3 if I select M mode auto iso is disabled if I recall correctly. Some other Pentax bodies don't do this and essentially operate in TAv mode when iso is auto and they are set to M.
12-11-2017, 10:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm starting to locate the bells and whistles on this k52 but the battery was loosing power so glad I have a handgrip in the mail. This camera hasn't been upgraded do you know if there are any negative issues with the K-3 upgrade with firmware my IstD has never been upgraded either but I don't think I will with it as it works so nice even though its only 6.1mp's. I can't upload anymore as I spent my last dollar on a lotto ticket heres hoping. The thing is I won't buy a new camera as I like the dial layout on this k52.

And the auto focus and I am set to rule over the iso. then I can start so will be a week ortwo getting the feel of the camera at home after playing with it today the dial layout and lcd screen are becomming more Bill friendly. I think I scored a nice lans with the K10D when my 420-800 comes it will be assigned to the K10D and if its no good the kaboron 120-600mm will be off for a clean and rebuild. Just have to save up.lookin like a febuary job.

Last edited by Kombivan; 12-11-2017 at 10:07 AM.
12-11-2017, 05:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The auto ISO is tempting because you can limit its range in the setup menu somewhere. Something like 3200 is pretty good. But auto anything depends on the meter. The 77 segment metering is a lot better than the 16 segment metering on the *ist D or K10D but not 100% reliable.
12-11-2017, 08:08 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The battery should be good for quite a long while when on full charge. The K-5 bodies metering tends to underexpose by around 1/3 stop, which is better than the previous K-200D and K-20D, which typically underexpose by around 1/2-2/3 stop. I never had a K-7. I have the K-5 IIs and the original K-5, which I rarely use.

Going to the quick access via the info button provides access to adjustment for the auto-iso parameters. I have mine set as 100-3200. I presume without checking the manual that this is for using the TAV mode, or when the mode dial is set on green for "auto" in which case the camera chooses everything like a point & shoot. Otherwise, when in P, M, Tv, Av or Sv modes, I just use the ISO button on top to select whatever ISO I want, and it stays where I put it.
12-12-2017, 05:45 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Av mode only works properly with the lens in the A position. The mount in film camera has an additional lever to read the aperture, that lever was removed from newer bodies to make room. This means the cameras can only "know" the aperture if it controls it. Enabling the aperture ring is in the menus, once enabled you have to use the green button to meter, or the stop down metering mode. Earlier someone posted the links for how to use older lenses, you'll need to review them.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-m...-k-30-etc.html

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 07:49 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
one program for editing photo's photobucket has it on its website does anyone know of a program that works similar to it with similar results its only a touch up of what you have not a real editing program. I am looking for somthing similar. Cheers.
I would start a new thread for that. Many many tools, some cheap/free, some expensive.

---------- Post added 12-12-17 at 07:52 AM ----------

Re: firmware, I always update. You can wait a few days or weeks to see if the new firmware is working well for other people, but waiting longer than that seems counterproductive. On the *istD for example I think one of the firmware changes adds support for SDHC cards which nearly all current SD cards are vs plain SD.