Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 06:47 AM   #1

Pentax upgrade for K-1, 1.43

Help needed. I am not to savvy on Windows 10 yet. Downloaded the upgrade for my k-1, but when I tried to upload it to a memory card, nothing came through. How can I do this? Yes, I read the instructions several times. And, is this also valid for my K-3 as well?

Thanks anyone.

Bedouin (a new kid to the forum)

12-24-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You should be able to drag and drop the file in Win 10 just as in earlier versions of Windows. On your home screen, there is probably an icon called "This PC". If you double click it, you should be able to see your hard drive and any other memory devices attached to your pc. Thus you should be able to locate the downloaded file (bin file needs to be extracted from the zip file) and drag it to the memory card.

Firmware files are unique to a specific model. A K-1 file is not designed to be used on a K-3. I don't know for certain, but attempting to do so may make the K-3 unusable.
12-24-2017, 08:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Common glitches:

1. Forget to decompress the download (the file should be a .bin file not a .zip file)
2. Downloaded or decompressed the file multiple times because things weren't working (this creates duplicate .bin files with the wrong name. It should be "fwdc228b.bin" for the K-1's v1.43 firmware)
3. Did not put the file in the top level or root directory (it does NOT go in the DCIM folder)
4. Put the card in slot 2 (it needs to be in slot 1)

P.S. Make double sure you've got a fresh, good battery in the camera

Good luck, welcome to the forum and enjoy your K-1!
12-24-2017, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here is the link to the K-1 firmware page: Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
- click on the I agree button and start the download.
- find the file on your computer, most likely in the downloads folder but might be elsewhere depending on your setup it will be named: k1_v143.zip (the .zip could missing if you do not have show suffix turned on on your machine)
- the file is a .zip compressed file and the firmware update must be extracted first, so right-click and select "extract all"
- the default settings will create a new folder that contains the firmware file
- the actual firmware file will be named fwdc228b.bin again the .bin might be missing unless you have show suffix turned on.
- now copy this file to an SD card. If your card has been used it will have a DCIM folder on it. DO NOT put the .bin file there, just put it in the root directory.
- now put your card in the K-1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRESHLY CHARGED BATTERY
- the card needs to be in slot #1 to work
- press the menu button and turn on the camera
- the camera will display the current version and the version on the SD card
- using the arrow keys select the start button and press OK
- the camera will blink 'updating' and then COMPLETE when finished.

12-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #5
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

G'Day Bedouin, welcome to the forums.

Jatrax has already covered the details but here's a link to the firmware update guide for future reference: Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

I look forward to seeing some of your images around here so please share some with us when you can.

Tas
12-28-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Original Poster
Unable to Load K-1 Update

First, thank you to those who wrote trying to help me. Still, no joy. I "fully" recharged the battery; erased previous download of the 1.43 files, both zip and the .bin. Used fresh memory card , formatted in the camera. Tried on 1 card to own load through a card reader then inserted into card slot 1. My camera says it has Firmware 1.0 installed. Then simultaneously pushed Menu and turned camera on. Nothing. Then repeated same process using new memory card inserted directly into my computer. Again, nothing. Repeated a third time with same results.

Anyone have any other suggestion? My camera works perfectly as it is and does what I want. Or is the fault with me? Do I really need this update and to waste more time.

I recently updated my 645Z without problems.

Appreciate it,

Bedouin
12-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure the slot you think is #1 is actually #1. I assumed #1 was closest to me at first and had problems with firmware update. After moving the card to the other slot it worked fine.

And yes you should get the update installed. It is worth the time, some little thing is wrong with the process you are using. Step through the instructions carefully.

01-08-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Here is the link to the K-1 firmware page: Latest PENTAX K-1 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING
- click on the I agree button and start the download.
- find the file on your computer, most likely in the downloads folder but might be elsewhere depending on your setup it will be named: k1_v143.zip (the .zip could missing if you do not have show suffix turned on on your machine)
- the file is a .zip compressed file and the firmware update must be extracted first, so right-click and select "extract all"
- the default settings will create a new folder that contains the firmware file
- the actual firmware file will be named fwdc228b.bin again the .bin might be missing unless you have show suffix turned on.
- now copy this file to an SD card. If your card has been used it will have a DCIM folder on it. DO NOT put the .bin file there, just put it in the root directory.
- now put your card in the K-1. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A FRESHLY CHARGED BATTERY
- the card needs to be in slot #1 to work
- press the menu button and turn on the camera
- the camera will display the current version and the version on the SD card
- using the arrow keys select the start button and press OK
- the camera will blink 'updating' and then COMPLETE when finished.
Thank You for this very thorough explanation, I finally feel like I understand how to update the firmware on my K-1