Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 07:20 AM   #1

Pentax k5 firmware update

Hi,

I purchased my K5 in ca 2013 and so far, have not updated my firmware (1.01).
Lately I bought a SD card 64BG, but the camera does not recognise it. Search through forums resulted in diagnosing of old firmware. Thus, firmware downloaded (1.16), file fwdc209b.bin.
On my currently in use SD 32GB (formatted first) I placed the file. However after transfer to the camera and turning on, with MENU button pressed, the firmware doest not update. First the screen shows the current firmware (1.01) and after few seconds it turns to the working mode.
I searched the forum but haven't found direct solution. Will be grateful for your support or directing me to the adequate thread.
adam

12-24-2017, 08:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you place the firmware file in the root directory of the SD card?
12-24-2017, 08:38 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Perhaps this will help:

Pentax DSLR Firmware Update Guide - PentaxForums.com
12-24-2017, 10:46 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by adam13 Quote
Hi,

I purchased my K5 in ca 2013 and so far, have not updated my firmware (1.01).
Lately I bought a SD card 64BG, but the camera does not recognise it. Search through forums resulted in diagnosing of old firmware. Thus, firmware downloaded (1.16), file fwdc209b.bin.
On my currently in use SD 32GB (formatted first) I placed the file. However after transfer to the camera and turning on, with MENU button pressed, the firmware doest not update. First the screen shows the current firmware (1.01) and after few seconds it turns to the working mode.
I searched the forum but haven't found direct solution. Will be grateful for your support or directing me to the adequate thread.
adam
Check the troubleshooting steps here:
Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

One of these should be the cause for why the firmware isn't showing up. Just make sure the right file is in the right place and then you should be good to go.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-24-2017, 10:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

As was said, make sure the "bin" file (last three letters of update file) is placed in the root of the SD card, meaning it is not enclosed in another folder. That way it will be accessible directly by your camera.
12-24-2017, 10:55 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don`t forget to fully charge the battery prior to updating.
12-25-2017, 05:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
Hi there,
thank you so much for your comments.
1. Firmware file is definitely placed in the root directory of SD card. In one of my attempt I have even removed the other files that appear after card formatting and left only the firmware file.
2. Firmware file seems to be correct. This is what I have in SD card folder: fwdc209b.bin, BIN file size 10 752 KB
3. YT tutorials - unfortunately my problem is not addressed there
4. Ensuring the battery is full prior update - yes. btw ,through my search I have also found the thread of damaging camera by interrupting the process.

So far, no success.
Through further search I found my problem on other forum: Why can't I update the firmware on my K5: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Unfortunately this hokus-pokus method does not work on my camera.

I will try to use the other SD card, but must wait, till shop will open.

To go back of the root of my problem - just wanted to upgrade firmware to be able to use the new SD card of higher capacity 64KB. And found that K-5 (unlikely to K-5 ii) does not read the cards SDXC. If this is true, than I will by another SDHC 32.

Still waiting for tips.

12-25-2017, 10:24 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Another thing is to make sure you are not connected to a computer during the process.
12-25-2017, 12:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
Guys, I have managed it finally. This was my computer - due to corporate limitations, all the files copied from its hdd on SD cards, pendrives or external disks are not readible. Nevertheless they are physically seen on data store, with name, size and type of file.
I used another computer - downloaded firware, copied on SD and updated the camera firmware seamlessly.
Surprisingly, the new firmware enables using SDXC 64GB card! Job done.

Thank all of you for your support.
12-25-2017, 03:45 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It's nice you were able to get it done.