Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2017, 05:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

KP viewfinder completely dark

I have had my KP for only a few days. The first picture left me stunned at the low light capability of the camera. I am re-reading the Forum review of the camera and looking forward to trying out the recommended settings. Just now I looked through the camera with power off into a well lit room in my house and the brightness was what I would expect. When I turned the camera on the view finder went black and I can see nothing through it, I can only see what I am pointing at on the live view screen. What's up?

12-24-2017, 05:50 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A H Thompson Quote
I have had my KP for only a few days. The first picture left me stunned at the low light capability of the camera. I am re-reading the Forum review of the camera and looking forward to trying out the recommended settings. Just now I looked through the camera with power off into a well lit room in my house and the brightness was what I would expect. When I turned the camera on the view finder went black and I can see nothing through it, I can only see what I am pointing at on the live view screen. What's up?
You are in Live View Mode, which raises the mirror (blocking the OVF) and opens the shutter. The LCD displays a processed readout of what the sensor captures. Exit LV and the OVF will be transparent again.

12-24-2017, 05:55 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
You view through either the rear 'live view' screen (image taken via sensor) or the viewfinder (image seen via pentaprism). It's not possible to do both simultaneously because the mirror has to raise to enable the sensor to see the view. Press the live view button to return to viewing through pentaprism and viewfinder.

Hope it's nothing more serious.

PS Monochrome posted when I was still typing - looks like we are thinking along the same lines.

Last edited by ronniemac; 12-24-2017 at 05:56 PM. Reason: Monochrome got there first!
12-24-2017, 06:18 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I experienced a similar problem with my K-3 II - I had accidentally put it in 'movie mode.'

12-24-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I experienced a similar problem with my K-3 II - I had accidentally put it in 'movie mode.'
I concur the OP is in Movie Mode and not in live view. Live view defaults back to viewfinder when the camera is switched off and back on but Movie Mode stays in Movie Mode when the camera is switched off and on.

Larry
12-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My KP powers up with what ever is selected, be it OVF, LV or movie mode. This is a hard switch(capture mode select switch), not something in the menus.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-24-2017 at 09:25 PM.
12-25-2017, 07:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everybody. Merry Christmas Once again I want to share with the members how grateful I am for this Forum. Let's all take some great pictures today.

12-25-2017, 02:02 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

@Larrymc KP has a hard selector switch on the top plate (behind the SmartFunction dial) from which you choose OVF, LV or Movie Capture Mode. The camera retains the selected Capture Mode on startup until you move the selector switch.