Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 06:36 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is it possible that these might be the issue ?

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
do you have in-camera corrections enabled? (shadows, noise, etc) That slows down the writing speed.
and this
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
My K5 does the same thing when writing a jpeg to any card if highlight or shadow correction is on. I don't think the card is your problem.

12-25-2017, 07:08 PM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Greetings,

I just received a Pentax k-5 body that appears to be in great shape. I had to go through and adjust presets that the former owner employed. My only concern is that after taking a snap, it takes approximately 8~10 seconds for the image to appear on the rear screen. My other Pentax units have the image appear instantaneously in the rear screen. I have gone through the manual and cannot seem to locate an area that will allow me to make changes. After taking the snap this appears, " Data Processing".

Is it possible that this is designed in a way that there is no fix?

Any helpful hints and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, the battery has a full charge.

Tony
Disable in camera distortion corrections, and ensure you have a class 10 or UHS card, and you should be snapping away much more quickly

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-25-2017, 08:45 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update. I have inserted the recently re-charged battery, turned just about everything off in the persets, took four shots and came up with an average of 6 seconds before the image appears on the rear screen. I then tried the 8 SD Card I use in my Olympus gear, formatted it in the k-5 and was able to take four shots and averaged 5 seconds before the image appeared on the rear screen.

Mama said there would be days like this.

TT
12-25-2017, 08:47 PM   #19
Pentaxian

As was already mentioned, doing a camera reset (option in camera menu) may undo any unnecessary settings that have been made by someone else and give you a fresh start.

12-25-2017, 08:49 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Disable in camera distortion corrections, and ensure you have a class 10 or UHS card, and you should be snapping away much more quickly
Hi Adam,

Thanks for your input. I did all of things and more. The Card from my Olympus gear is an EMTEC 85 MB/s, 8 SDHC I Class 10 writer.

TT
12-25-2017, 08:50 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Plus 1: reset the camera.
12-25-2017, 08:52 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am thinking that perhaps this battery is just not powerful enough to handle most of the features and still not have to wait for images to appear on the rear screen. Either that or there is something very wrong within the camera. Not sure what to do next.

TT

---------- Post added 12-25-17 at 08:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by davidreilly3207 Quote
Plus 1: reset the camera.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for that tip. This was the third time I reset the camera and now it is displaying the image in less than a second. Did the trick my friend. I do want to see what will happen when I re-activate the presets. Will report. TT

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-25-2017 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
12-25-2017, 09:15 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the K5 have the orange LED at the back lower right corner that blinks during data writing/buffering ?
My K7 differs from the K5II and K5IIs in this way(sorry, do not own a K5)
Using the same card as you posted the photo of, I have the same one except it is 32gb instead of 16gb.
That card in the K5II and K5IIs the back screen shows the image in a split second and the orange LED blinks for about 4 seconds.
That same card in my K7 the back screen shows the image in about 4 seconds and the orange LED starts blinking a split second after that and quits blinking.

Maybe the K5 is like the K7 where the image does not show up right away during the data transfer/buffer is going on.

I never noticed until you brought it up Tony cause I have my back screen shut off and only use the "play" button to look at my taken images.

My guess is that it is the nature of the beast just as my K7 is.

Hope this helps.

Clarence
12-26-2017, 02:23 AM   #24

As previously suggested above, reset the camera to " factory default " then see if this changes the write speed, then re-input your chosen settings.
12-26-2017, 02:36 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have just discovered a new problem, but not big enough to start a new thread over. After uploading images is through, I removed the USB Cable and turned the camera off. Some time later, I turned the camera on and the only item that appeared was the battery power level indicator. I could not do anything, and I mean anything at all. I checked out the LCD Screen closer and noticed that the PC icon was still on. Now I was desperate and just about blew my top and wondered what did I do to deserve all this stress. The only thing left to do was to remove the battery, wait one minute and then re-inserted the battery. Turned the camera on, and everything was back to normal again. Now is there anything I can do internally with the camera to avoid this?

Thanks again,

Tony
12-26-2017, 03:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I always use a card reader. I have read sad stories after connecting the camera straight to the PC.
12-26-2017, 06:10 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Use a card reader, using the cable also drains the battery.
12-26-2017, 06:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's not likely to be your battery. Do a full factory reset of the camera. then be sure that any kind of internal processing such as noise reduction, Highlight/dark compensaton, etc. is turned off and shoot your pictures in raw format. Also remember that the K-5 is 2 generations older than even the K-50 so temper your expectations accordingly.
12-26-2017, 08:12 AM   #29

I have a K5 and haven't had any problem. The most likely issue is in some of the settings. First look to see if it has HDR set, this setting will take multipal shoots, also check if bracketting is set. the next is to see if double exposure settings are selected. Note that if you are shooting in low light with long exposures and noise reduction is enabled the camera takes the picture and then processes image again which takes as long as the length of time the original exposure took. Hope this helps.
Garry
PS try resetting the camera to it's default settings, if that doesn't do it it is.likely a processor problem.
12-26-2017, 10:34 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
I always use a card reader. I have read sad stories after connecting the camera straight to the PC.
+1, only way to go.