Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2017, 03:46 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with k-5 or not a problem with k-5.

Greetings,

I just received a Pentax k-5 body that appears to be in great shape. I had to go through and adjust presets that the former owner employed. My only concern is that after taking a snap, it takes approximately 8~10 seconds for the image to appear on the rear screen. My other Pentax units have the image appear instantaneously in the rear screen. I have gone through the manual and cannot seem to locate an area that will allow me to make changes. After taking the snap this appears, " Data Processing".

Is it possible that this is designed in a way that there is no fix?

Any helpful hints and suggestions are greatly appreciated.

P.S. Yes, the battery has a full charge.

Tony

12-25-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Tony;

My first question is what card you are using.(post a photo of it)
Second question is what firmware is it updated to.

Clarence
12-25-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My question relates to the above. Have you formatted a card in the camera or by using the SD card utility? In some cameras I have seen severe slow down when the card is very full or the card structure was logically corrupted.
12-25-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
SDHC Card Photo.

Here is the photo. The Firmware on the k-5 is VER 1.16

Thanks very much. According to the owner's manual the k-5 does take a SD Card and an SDHC Card.

Tony

12-25-2017, 04:50 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Not sure what you are saying. Did you format it in the k-5?
12-25-2017, 04:53 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My question relates to the above. Have you formatted a card in the camera or by using the SD card utility? In some cameras I have seen severe slow down when the card is very full or the card structure was logically corrupted.
Greetings Uncle. Been a while. Yes, I did format the card prior to taking the first shot. I do not know how to work with SD Utility. I tried to find it in the DVD included with the camera. I did format the card in the k-5 camera.

Thnx.

Tony

Last edited by Tonytee; 12-25-2017 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Additional Information.
12-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Greetings Uncle. Been a while. Yes, I did format the card prior to taking the first shot. I do not know how to work with SD Utility. I tried to find it in the DVD included with the camera.

Thnx.

Tony
Gotcha. The utility I mentioned can be downloaded here:

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

I'm not sure it will help but it can't hurt. It will erase the card of course.
12-25-2017, 04:56 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Class 4 is not that fast of a card. Also, do you have in-camera corrections enabled? (shadows, noise, etc) That slows down the writing speed.

12-25-2017, 04:59 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
Class 4 is not that fast of a card. Also, do you have in-camera corrections enabled? (shadows, noise, etc) That slows down the writing speed.
Good point, but the 8-10s delay still seems excessive. Also, are you saving raw, jpg, or both Tony?
12-25-2017, 05:00 PM - 1 Like   #10
Forum Member

The delay is not normal. Since you don't know what settings have previously been applied, you can reset the camera settings. Menu: wrench 3 tab: reset.
12-25-2017, 05:36 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Additional Information. I went ahead and used a different card I had in my Canon camera. I did of course format the card prior to inserting it into the k-5, and the same situation occurred. It would seem as though I need to upgrade the firmware. I did search around and VER 1.16 appears to be the latest. ???

Thnx again,

TT
12-25-2017, 05:48 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with Lake. Start by resetting the camera and set it up the way you like. There may be settings applied you aren’t aware of.
12-25-2017, 06:04 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Here is one idea. I just spoke with the former owner and he suggested I re-charge the battery. The battery level indicator clearly shows it is fully charged. However, we have been having freezing temperatures and the package sat outside for quite some time. Will report after charging and shooting. Thanks again,

Tony
12-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
My K5 does the same thing when writing a jpeg to any card if highlight or shadow correction is on. I don't think the card is your problem.
12-25-2017, 06:26 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, while the battery to the k-5 is charging, I used the card I had in the k-5 to shoot pics with the k-50 and there were no problems. The images appeared instantly on the Monitor. Something, and possibly the battery was not fully charged or a problem exists within the camera itself. We will see what happens next.

TT