Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2017, 01:58 PM   #16
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
No, I have locked and unlocked the cad to no avail...interestingly, a card locked with the switch shows as "Card is locked" whereas I am getting "Card is electronically locked"
Sounds like you've checked all the expected problems mate.

I checked four different card manufacturers for the fault and nothing came up, though Google did point to several examples of this fault reported in PF and elsewhere. None of the reports I found came up with a solution but there was one comment where the owner contacted the manufacturer who stated it was a software fault. They offered to retrieve his data but he declined as it was personal.

None of that helps of course but it would be useful if you can update this thread on how it turns out for future reference.

Tas

12-27-2017, 02:14 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Mini-Tool Partition Wizard will sometimes read discs / cards where the header information has become corrupted.
12-27-2017, 02:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks again for the suggestions, cleaning the contact did not make a difference..... I will try a Linux computer to see if it will recognise the card...I will report back! If I had put the card straight into the PC rather than viewing in camera first, it might have been enough to copy before the card died! So far in 8 years of digital photography it is 3-0 to the evil robot empire, one SanDisk physically destroyed (my fault) one SanDisk died on me, but I was able to recover all data and now this Integral one..there were some nice pictures on there, two in particular but I will live with if they are all lost. I regularly rotate cards, but don't mirror at the moment, just use the cads sequentially
12-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Take a look here:

GitHub - BertoldVdb/sdtool: A small tool for managing the write protection flag of SD cards.

12-27-2017, 02:28 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This link looks identical to your problem. The OP of that thread sent his card to professional data recoverers and was informed the controller chip was fried.

"As such I have sent it off to East Anglian Data Recovery who have informed me that the controller chip, in the card, is fried. They will now dismantle it, extract the data from the storage chip and then attempt to re-encode it."
12-27-2017, 02:35 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul the Sunman Quote
This link looks identical to your problem. The OP of that thread sent his card to professional data recoverers and was informed the controller chip was fried.

"As such I have sent it off to East Anglian Data Recovery who have informed me that the controller chip, in the card, is fried. They will now dismantle it, extract the data from the storage chip and then attempt to re-encode it."
Yes I saw that too, after posting this thread...in my intial Google, I had omitted the important "electronically" from the card locked error message! It does appear that the card controller has failed. I will try the Linux root when I have access to a non-windows machine on Friday
12-28-2017, 02:52 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had success with Easeus in the past. Recovered 99% of a 250GB drive almost full. They may still have Christmas specials on. They used to have a trial version that can tell you what is recoverable before you buy. I'd check for that first.

12-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
I had omitted the important "electronically" from the card locked error message!
With the probability of a controller failure, I doubt the EaseUS will work for you, but I've had great success with it in other situations. Sometimes you need something that accesses a drive at a lower level. I had a hard drive not recognized by windows. Steve Gibson's Spinrite ran for two weeks on and off (you can stop, and restart where you left off). After Spinrite was done, I was able to use a data recovery program. Spinrite can also be used to test and inform if a drive is breaking down before it ever shows up on smart status as bad.
12-29-2017, 08:31 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rgknief60 Quote
With the probability of a controller failure, I doubt the EaseUS will work for you, but I've had great success with it in other situations. Sometimes you need something that accesses a drive at a lower level. I had a hard drive not recognized by windows. Steve Gibson's Spinrite ran for two weeks on and off (you can stop, and restart where you left off). After Spinrite was done, I was able to use a data recovery program. Spinrite can also be used to test and inform if a drive is breaking down before it ever shows up on smart status as bad.
Thanks that is worth a try.....using a Linux machine did not work