Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-27-2017, 08:19 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Request for help - corrupted SD card, suggestions to enable file recovery.

I have a problem I would like some help with please. I took a number of shots this morning on my K1, I reviewed these in camera shortly after taking, but when I later came to transfer to my PC for processing, I got a "card electronically locked" message on the camera and the SD card is not recognised by my laptop when put in the SD card slot or in an external reader, nor is will the K1 connect va USB with that card in the camera. Works fine with a different card. The card has obviously failed...I have previously used Rescue Pro to retrieve files from a corrupted card, but my problem is that my laptop cannot detect the card to tell the software to search for files there. O/S is Windows8 , I cannot detect the card in File Explorer or using Device manager

Any suggestions? Whilst not earth shattering shots, they were some decent shots of world war 2 re-enactors on my local railway with snow around!

12-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It might be worth a email to the Rescue Pro people to see if they have a suggestion. Good luck!
12-27-2017, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might try putting the card in your reader slot with the computer off and then boot the computer. That might bring up the card so you can work on it. My recommendations are to lose the bad card (or maybe experiment with it if it starts working again - but not on anything important).
12-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

sometimes it helps to try to read on a different PC, if that is available to you.

12-27-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by StephenHampshire Quote
Any suggestions?
I have used Sandisk CF and SD cards over the years. They used to come with a software for corrupt file recovery. I have used it successfully on two occasions for CF and SD cards which were corrupted. Software used to come free with purchase of the Sandisk cards. Do a search to see if the software is available for free or maybe a nominal fee. It is well worth having a recovery software. In both cases that I had to use the recovery software, the directory on the card was corrupted for some reason. The actual files were fine and were on the disk. So what the software did was to recover the files and put them in order and numbering them from one (1) to whatever the last file was. The original file numbering system is not there anymore... a small inconvenience for getting your file back. Give it a try and good luck.
12-27-2017, 09:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions, I have used Rescue Pro before, but I can't tell the software where to look as the card is not recognised. The Tech support have suggested using Linux of MAC OS machine, which I can do on Friday....no joy with three different card readers...I might try the reboot with card in slot though....40 decent images but if they are gone, they are gone. I will bin the card as it is obviously at the end of life...it isn't a recent purchase
12-27-2017, 09:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Sometimes, the problem may be in your card reader and not the SD card, I suggest you try using another computer/laptop to see if you experience the same problem. I am not saying that it is your case, but it is worth trying. Also, recovery software can be brand specific, that is for example, Lexar recovery software may only work on Lexar SD card, not Sandisk card and vice versa.

12-27-2017, 09:36 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I mirror the cards in my K-3. That way there is always a backup. I also have a spare set to be used in case I run out of space or need to replace the old set in case of failure of a card.
12-27-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have tried connecting camera and three different card readers....none recognise the card. Will try with a Linux machine when I can get access to it.
12-27-2017, 10:28 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

When reviewing your images, did you accidentally "lock" them (page 103 in the K-1 manual). I mistakenly did this once and it provided no end of frustration until I realized what had happened.
12-27-2017, 10:34 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have tried connecting camera and three different card readers....none recognise the card. Will try with a Linux machine when I can get access to it.
Not sure this will help but if all else fails ....

block device - SD card corrupt and stuck at 32MB, any way to fix it? - Unix & Linux Stack Exchange

"Honest to god this is what I tried and it worked.

I took a ear bud (the little thingys with cotton on one end.. cotton swab).. and wet it with nail polish remover. Then I cleaned the contacts (which were looking very neat and clean to begin with!!) and then wiped it off with a restaurant napkin.. the one that they keep on your table to wipe your mustache.. and then did it again. This time DID NOT wipe it but let that thing dry (does not take long.. about 30 secs).. then poped it in viola.. it was as good as new. (And all that after following all the steps above including trying to write zeros).. and all those started showing 0 bytes. I could recover even old data."
12-27-2017, 11:09 AM   #12
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is the card lock switch in the unlocked position? It's easy to accidentally slide it to the locked position when placing into a card reader etc.

Tas
12-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I got a "card electronically locked" message on the camera and the SD card is not recognised by my laptop
If this is a micro-sd try these.
-Try to use different outer-case.
-When the outer-case is still connected to pc, remove the micro-sd and reinsert. This triggers hardware change.
-Try on more than one machine.

As Tas pointed out toggle the lock switch on the card and then try reading.

Coming to the tool, I have been using a tool called PhotoRescue since XP days.
12-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

IF you have a spare USB Flash...try linux - Slax Linux - your pocket operating system (dont't need to delete but it needs to be FAT32)

You can boot from it an try if it recognizes SD card.

Reffer to :

Starting - Slax Linux

Slax on USB device or hard disk

maybe you will have to disable SAFE boot in your PC BIOS to boot from USB
12-27-2017, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AlwaysAl Quote
When reviewing your images, did you accidentally "lock" them (page 103 in the K-1 manual). I mistakenly did this once and it provided no end of frustration until I realized what had happened.
No, I have locked and unlocked the cad to no avail...interestingly, a card locked with the switch shows as "Card is locked" whereas I am getting "Card is electronically locked"