Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 06:43 AM - 1 Like   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've an old F 80-200 f4.7-5.6 that I'll donate to him, to win him off a trail cam ...

01-01-2018, 07:04 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
i can recommend the D FA 100mm F2.8 macro
it works well for macro or just a short telephoto lens
Absolutely! They're great multi-purpose lenses. It's my standard 'nature' lens, insects, mushrooms, amphibians, wildflowers, trees, tame or large birds or mammals, etc.

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I've an old F 80-200 f4.7-5.6 that I'll donate to him, to win him off a trail cam ...
This tele will make low-light photos an exercise in frustration without external lights, but it's a fine thing to begin with.

With an electronics savvy neighbor, a diy trap seems feasible for a motivated 11 year old. Or, since you've got a start for a telephoto, a trail cam and a used Pentax body + 18-55 kit lens would be a nice start.

Depends on budget and the kid as always
01-01-2018, 07:30 AM - 1 Like   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote

This tele will make low-light photos an exercise in frustration without external lights, but it's a fine thing to begin with.
I know, but I wasn't inclined to donate my f2.8 and faster lenses The F 80-200 is a surprisingly good lens. It was the first Pentax lens I bought a few moons ago. I won a Pentax DSLR in a competition early 1990s and sold my Canon gear. Been with 'em ever since ...
01-01-2018, 07:58 AM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have donated/gifted sets as well
works the way you want sometimes...still worth the effort

one last idea...
I have a very old (digital tape) sony camcorder that really can see in the dark and has a fair amount of zoom
my wife's modern one is not great at night but has a long zoom and takes great video
I tend to get over-focused on still photography when there are alternatives available

happy new year and good luck with your part of the adventure