Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 09:25 AM   #1

Shutter priority

I am trying to shoot some birds and other moving subjects with my two lenses F*300 mm f4.5 and A*200mm f2.8 What will be best camera setting if i want to control shutter speed ? I have it set to manual mode and adjusting aperture manually ,If i am trying TAv I can't set the shutter speed where I want it.Also in manual mode when I set speed to let say 1/1000 and I press green buton it automaticly bring it way down if I don't bump the iso high enough ..I do understand it is normal but what is the way to quickly adjust fast shutter speed with these lenses and iso to go with it and be close as far as light go so the image is not too bright or too dark..I hope someone can explain to me how to do it correctly so I can take more and better pics .

12-30-2017, 09:59 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Sounds like you need to use auto ISO and set the parameters to meet your needs. Shutter priority + auto ISO set properly should maintain your shutter speed with a decent exposure. I'm no expert but i have found that shooting moving birds requires EV compensation since the birds are often set against the bright background of the sky. I am looking forward to some of the replies from the avid bird photographers, i'm always looking for ways to get the most from my gear.
12-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tv mode, and possibly place a cap on your auto ISO range to keep it in check.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-30-2017, 11:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You don't say which body you are working with,
I work with a K3 & a K5; using Tav, with my ISO capped at 8000 or so. Set shutter as fast as I want, and usually work at /8. I've got a user mode in both cameras dedicated to this starting point, and then adjust to local conditions and the birds I'm shooting.
As suggested by bschriver11, I start with 0.7-stops of under exposure (part of my user mode) to maintain detail in the highlights, and later pull the shadows up in post processing.
I get keepers:

12-30-2017, 12:06 PM   #5

Original Poster
I shoot with K 5II .The problem is when I move to Tv or TAv mode from manual front dial doesn't do anything for shutter speed like it does in manual.F shows - - I don't understand why is like that
12-30-2017, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your two lenses have an aperture ring. That should be set to its A position. If you set it to some aperture number, like f8, the camera will only actually use f8 in M mode. In all other modes it will shoot wide open. You can tell if the aperture ring is correctly set to A because the displays will now read an aperture. Then you can use Tv or TAv.

You can reprogram which e-dial does what in different modes. I like to take a shot of the blue sky first, adjust compensation for that, then I'm ready for the actual bird.
12-30-2017, 02:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
You answered my question.Now it is working the way I wanted ..Thank you all for help and happy new year !!

12-30-2017, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

You can also set how much of an increment your exposure setting will jump when you move to another value. In custom menu: EV steps, I have mine at only 1/3 EV for a more refined selection of increments.

In case you didn't know, when shooting in Program mode, you can also select a different shutter speed or aperture instantly, simply by using your finger or thumb dial and do so without having to first go to the mode dial. This will instantly switch to Tv or Av operation until you restore full Program operation with a touch of the green button, or turn off the camera. This is the exclusive Pentax Hyper Program operating system, fast and efficient when needing to change modes quickly. If you will be turning the camera on and off intermittently, of course using the mode dial will preserve your desired mode of operation.

You already know of using the green button in manual mode- ( Pentax Hyper Manual) to instantly set meter-centered exposure, which is far more efficient than having to twirl the thumb and finger dials to do so. This is an especially fast way to spot-meter around a scene for biasing your exposure in tricky lighting conditions. But you may not know- once you use the green button, you can then hit the AE-L button before selecting a different shutter speed, and the aperture will change also, following along to preserve your meter-centered exposure! Likewise for selecting a different aperture- the shutter speed will follow along.

There is no comparable such operational system among other brands that is so fast and efficient.

Also, if you have not already done so, going into the custom image menu and setting sharpening to "F" for Fine sharpening at least for "Bright" and "Natural" categories, may improve detail in your images.

Last edited by mikesbike; 12-30-2017 at 03:51 PM.
12-30-2017, 05:23 PM   #9

Original Poster
This is something I will check for sure ,sounds like a very convenient and clever option.I have EV steps set at 1/3 but I didn't know that I can use AE-L button like you described.It is very helpful advice .I guess now I just have to wait for warmer days so I can go out and try how it works .Thank you