Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 11:54 AM   #1

Auto EV Compensation

I am trying to figure out how to use the option of menu C1 7.Auto EV Compensation of my K-5.
It has two options:1 Off 2 On
I try shooting low light scenes to simulate not proper exposure. But either Off or On the photographs are the same.
I did not find anything from Yvon Bourque's K-5 manual and the official manual has not enough clarity for me.
What to do about it? It is frustrating to have a feature on my camera that I do not understand.
Thank you for any advice.

12-30-2017, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Hidrieus, I did a little " digging " and found this, I hope it answers some of your questions. Good luck in 2018.

Auto ev compensation
12-30-2017, 01:52 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would be nice if this explanation could be (easily) found also here on PF.
The official manual does not explain it well enough - like with many other features.
12-30-2017, 02:21 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Pentaxian

I wonder if that guy explaining everything knows what he's talking about...?

12-30-2017, 02:36 PM   #5
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think that is a pretty safe bet.
12-30-2017, 02:49 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

12-30-2017, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Thanks for the votes of confidence! It does sound quite convincing, I must admit . Of course it can be checked out in practice, and that's probably worth doing to be sure .....

I think the key thing is that in order for Auto EC to have any apparent effect, then two of the exposure parameters have to already be at their 'buffer' ... their maximum values. So for example, in very bright conditions, say you want a low depth of field, so you set f1.8. You also want highest quality, so you set ISO100. Now, in very bright light this might potentially require an even shorter exposure time than the cameras maximum at 1/8000th. In this scenario, already at 1/8000th and ISO100 with overexposure occurring, the only parameter that can reduce the exposure to the meter-centred value is the aperture .... so without Auto EV activated the aperture would be flashing, to indicate to the user that they need to adjust the aperture down to a smaller opening. Once the adjustment has been made to a value that gives the meter-centred EV (eg from f1.8 to f4), then the flashing stops.

With Auto EC activated then this process is automatic, and the user simply can't set f1.8 in that bright situation .... it will jump automatically to f4.

So in most situations there will be no apparent effect with or without Auto EC, because there is still adjustment room on the parameters .... its only when two of the parameters have already reached their 'buffers' that it becomes significant.
12-30-2017, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ha! Ha!

That being said, the conventional wisdom on this site has been to leave the feature off since its actions are not strictly predictable and the camera is pretty good at letting us know when the metering indicates a LV outside the range of available settings. As the author of the comment on the "other" site noted, "green" mode might be a reasonable alternative.

Steve

12-30-2017, 08:50 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

With Auto EC activated then this process is automatic, and the user simply can't set f1.8 in that bright situation .... it will jump automatically to f4.
I am not sure, but I seem to remember a help request on this site where the user was concerned that the set aperture was not being applied and where the cause was traced to Auto EC. Of course, the other case also occurs where display is flashing frantically and the user writes wondering why the photo was overexposed.

Steve
12-30-2017, 09:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, I remember that thread with that problem too. I'm not sure , but with a setting flashing will the camera allow the photo to be taken anyway?
12-30-2017, 09:46 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

with a setting flashing will the camera allow the photo to be taken anyway?
Yes...at least in Av mode which I just tested.

Steve
01-02-2018, 12:28 AM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
Thank you all for the replies. Now I like my K-5 even more!