Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2017, 12:07 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 211
P mode vs Sv with fixed ISO.

In Sv mode I select ISO value and the K-5 choose the appropriate Time and Aperture values. If I select the P mode and do not touch the front and rear wheels and just play with the same ISO values will the results be the same? In both cases I control ISO and the K-5 chooses Time and Aperture values for proper exposure.

12-30-2017, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
twilhelm's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Florida
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,355
I believe you should, since the camera uses the Program line as a base.
12-30-2017, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian
mcgregni's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Surrey, England
Posts: 2,603
I think the results would be the same, but it you want to work like that then Sv mode is the most efficient approach to it. In P mode the 'Program Line' setting may exert a small influence, taking into account the focal length.
12-30-2017, 08:53 PM - 1 Like   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 49,785
QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
In Sv mode I select ISO value and the K-5 choose the appropriate Time and Aperture values. If I select the P mode and do not touch the front and rear wheels and just play with the same ISO values will the results be the same? In both cases I control ISO and the K-5 chooses Time and Aperture values for proper exposure.
The results should be the same, just a different button/e-dial interface for changing the settings. Sv mode would probably be easier as it would reduce the likelihood of inadvertent changes to the ISO.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 211
Original Poster
Thank you both for the replies, you clarified this subject for me.
01-06-2018, 05:16 AM   #6
Senior Member




Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 211
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I think the results would be the same, but it you want to work like that then Sv mode is the most efficient approach to it. In P mode the 'Program Line' setting may exert a small influence, taking into account the focal length.
I searched a little more the K-5 manual (page 283) and I would like to contribute that in Sv mode also it can the preselected Program Line be used if it is assigned to the green button. So I accept what Adam had said: "The results should be the same, just a different button/e-dial interface for changing the settings".
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, camera, iso, k-5, mode, mode vs sv, pentax help, photography, sv, time, troubleshooting, values
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-5 vs MZ-S vs LX vs PZ-1p vs ist*D vs K10D vs K20D vs K-7 vs....... Steelski Pentax K-5 2 06-28-2017 04:59 PM
Lost ability to use to SV, TV or TAV--mode dial only selects AV, M, X, Bulb rweissman Pentax Medium Format 11 07-18-2016 03:12 AM
What use do you make of Sv mode? dosdan Pentax DSLR Discussion 13 03-25-2016 01:00 AM
Question about apertures on zooms (fixed vs variable, why ever have fixed?) wibbly Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 02-16-2015 09:17 PM
K-7: Auto ISO in P mode is finally fixed Edvinas Pentax DSLR Discussion 49 08-18-2009 10:19 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:00 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top