Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-01-2018, 11:24 PM   #1

"Image folder cannot be created

Pentax k-70 keeps saying image folder cannot be created after taking a photo but when using a different memory card its fine would really like not to format the memory card is there any other solutions I could try ?

01-01-2018, 11:30 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is the lock switch on the card activated? It's pretty easy to move inadvertently when swapping cards.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-01-2018, 11:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Is the lock switch on the card activated? It's pretty easy to move inadvertently when swapping cards.
Nope not locked just checked that. The card its having problems with is Panasonic 64GB Gold Series SD Card for 4K Video Enabled Cameras and it has worked for a few months but just today has came up with that message.
01-01-2018, 11:47 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend formatting it then, if that doesn't help then send it in for an exchange, most cards have really long warranties these days.

Note that formatting deletes all photos, so make sure they're copied to your computer first.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-02-2018, 01:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I had a card, which I later disposed of, where the lock switch got damaged making it almost impossible to insert to camera slot without moving the switch from 'not locked' to 'locked'. Had to put up withit for a week or so when I was too busy to go out to buy a replacement, and the busyness included taking many pictures.
01-02-2018, 05:47 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That sounds like the card's filesystem may be corrupted. If that card has important images or other files on it, they should be copied as soon as possible because there's a good chance the problem will only get worse.

After making sure you have all the files (and check a few to make sure they are OK), then reformat the card.
03-12-2024, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Gallery
Memory Card File Folder was 999_XXXX

I just had this problem for the first time in 11 years of owning my K3. The 128 GByte SD card was brand new and there were only 20 file folders on it. The issue I had was the file folder started with 999. The camera would not revert back to 100_XXXX. I put the card in my computer and manually changed the file names from 980_XXXX through to 999_XXXX to 100_XXXX through to 119_XXXX and the problem was solved. I manually reset the counter, essentially.

03-12-2024, 11:30 AM   #8
Pentaxian

You can specify the folder names and sequence in the menu.