Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 01:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Vibration damage to camera bodies / lenses

Many years ago, I seem to recall reading in a magazine (possibly Amateur Photographer ?) that it was unwise to place camera equipment, or even bags / cases containing same, either on the floor of a motor vehicle or in the boot. The reason given was that the vibrations might loosen the small screws contained in the camera. Ever since then, I have kept my camera bag on my lap, or on the bus or train seat next to me (I do not drive).

I recently had an 'animated discussion' with someone, to whom I had lent some equipment, when I asked her to do the same to protect the kit, and she said she had never heard this advice. Can someone tell me, am I being over-cautious, or is there real value in protecting equipment to this degree ?

Thanks

01-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #2
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't think you're being over-cautious.

As well as screws, there are moving or movable components and assemblies in the camera - mirror mechanism, shutter, sensor etc. - that I wouldn't want subjected to extended periods of vibration.

When I'm in the car, I always have my camera and lenses in a padded camera bag, on one of the passenger seats - and usually with the seat-belt through one of the bag straps to stop it flying off the seat if I need to brake hard (both for the equipment's protection and my own ).

That said, I suspect most modern cars with carpeted foot wells and carpet mats wouldn't transmit much vibration to equipment... but why take the risk?
01-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think it really depends on the vehicle and the road conditions. In a truck or Mini Cooper or sports car on cobblestone or rutted dirt road for hours, on the seat toward the center of the vehicle is better. But in most modern cars on well paved roads, I think there's no harm on the floor or the trunk/boot in terms of vibration.

Small screws and gears have been to some extent been reduced because of electronic components. My only concern would be EMF in hybrids or electric vehicles. For example, the Tesla has a frunk (small storage compartment under the bonnet) which is right next to the electric motor which is probably not shielded. Could the electromagnetic field mess with the CPU or memory cards? Under the rear compartment floor of the Prius sits the battery array. I'm not an electrical engineer, but is there a potential field inches away for things thrown in the back?

I do know with OS on Canon or Nikon lenses, it's best to turn them off before turning off the camera for storage. Otherwise they would be loose and prone to damage from shaking/shock/vibrations. Not sure this is true or not for Pentax SR. Anyone???
01-02-2018, 02:08 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When transporting my gear in either a car or motorcycle my camera equipment is in a padded camera bag. If in the car the bag is usually in the rear passenger floorboards or trunk, and if on my motorcycle in the rear trunk bag. I have been doing this over 15 years, with tens of thousands of miles travel on the motorcycle which would probably be the worst environment for camera gear. This is with Canon & Pentax gear. The only problem I experienced was a cracked lens body to my 24-70 F2.8 lens and I am not sure what caused that to crack. I discovered it while on a motorcycle ride at Mt Rainier here in Washington. I am not telling you it's OK, but this is my experience.

01-02-2018, 02:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian

This thread brought back memories of rough rides on 4wd jeeps and off-road vehicles in the hinterlands of India, Africa, Australia or North-Eastern Finland. When the going gets rough there is a high risk of hurting both youself and your gear
Definitely worth thinking twice where you keep your gear!

However, under more civilized circumstances I keep my gear in a normal camera bag, which provides sufficient damping for everyday use.
01-02-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep gear in classic Domke bags with the padded bottoms and padded inserts. When I double-stack lenses I insert a cut down piece of thick neoprene harvested from an old mouse pad between the lenses.

If that isn’t enough* I’m not going to worry about it.

* I placed my K-1 camera bag thus outfitted on a chair at a wedding rehearsal dinner. My sister-in-law picked the bag up by the shoulder strap, unceremoniously dropped it on the floor, and sat down. In response to my jaw drop she said, “If you’re that worried about it put it on the floor.”

No damage.
01-02-2018, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have pro wildlife photographer friends (a couple) who are very careful regarding vibration in transit and have been during the 35+ years I have known them. Whether their practice is pure precaution or the result of sad experience, I don't know, but I take their example seriously.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-02-2018 at 03:51 PM.
01-02-2018, 03:36 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
“If you’re that worried about it put it on the floor.”
I trust Santa was watching?

Steve
01-02-2018, 03:37 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
“If you’re that worried about it put it on the floor.”

Steve
01-02-2018, 03:54 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
IDK. But Santa son brought me a Peak Designs camera strap.

.:
01-02-2018, 04:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Many years ago, I seem to recall reading in a magazine (possibly Amateur Photographer ?) that it was unwise to place camera equipment, or even bags / cases containing same, either on the floor of a motor vehicle or in the boot. The reason given was that the vibrations might loosen the small screws contained in the camera.
I think you are being way over the top cautious. With old film gear? Maybe, I guess that makes some kind of sense because of all the screws and age. On a motorcycle or high speed boat? Maybe.

In a modern automobile or truck? If it vibrates that much I'm not riding in it. YMMV

When I'm in the car or the jeep 90% of the time the camera is on the floor at my feet. The bag with the lenses is on the floor behind my seat. Never had any issues or even dreamt of having an issue. Of course you cannot prove a negative
01-02-2018, 04:26 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
With old film gear? Maybe, I guess that makes some kind of sense because of all the screws and age
Thanks. As I said, it was a long time ago - 45 years ? - so maybe not as relevant now. On the other hand, never hurts to be cautious.

Thanks to all who responded.
01-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
As I said, it was a long time ago - 45 years ? - so maybe not as relevant now.
I think the gear has changed a lot. And perhaps more importantly the vehicles have changed. Far better insulation and vibration deadening. I might be cautious in something like an airboat or helicopter, or piston engine airplane that had a lot of vibration but not in anything I would be comfortable riding in.
01-02-2018, 04:42 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think you are being overly cautious but hey, it's your gear.
01-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Pentaxian

I place my camera/lens in the front passenger seat, in a plastic bag, with just enough room to allow the camera strap to slip over the headrest of the seat (to secure it). Otherwise, depending on the size of the lens, it may just go in the camera bag that is strapped onto my backpack, on the back seat of my car. The seat cushion protects the camera and lens giving them a cushioned barrier and the plastic bag protects them from dust and dirt. They are precautionary measures.