Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-02-2018, 05:25 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I knew a guy 25 or so years ago who shot for a number of American motorcycle magazines. He exclusively shot Nikon F4s, even though he didn’t use any of the fancy features that set them apart from the then-current 8008.

The difference to him was longevity. Even though the F4 cost more than double the 8008, when shooting off the back of a heavily modified American V-twin motorcycle, the 8008s just broke too often to be worth the short-term savings in money or weight.

He was the only person I’ve ever seen (apart from the guy who launched Canons on rockets) who destroyed cameras on such a regular and frequent basis.

I think he would love the K1...

-Eric

01-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I’d never given much thought to it, but I baby my gear, padded and double padded bags, on the seat etc. of my personal vehicle.

But then I go to work... My K10D and Nikon D40 live in the trunk of my patrol car, without a case of any kind. They are wedged between a couple of boxes, and have ridden like that through ditches and on high speed chases. I’ve never had an issue from either one.
01-03-2018, 10:12 AM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
Many years ago, I seem to recall reading in a magazine (possibly Amateur Photographer ?) that it was unwise to place camera equipment, or even bags / cases containing same, either on the floor of a motor vehicle or in the boot. The reason given was that the vibrations might loosen the small screws contained in the camera. Ever since then, I have kept my camera bag on my lap, or on the bus or train seat next to me (I do not drive).

I recently had an 'animated discussion' with someone, to whom I had lent some equipment, when I asked her to do the same to protect the kit, and she said she had never heard this advice. Can someone tell me, am I being over-cautious, or is there real value in protecting equipment to this degree ?

Thanks
You are being over cautious. The low frequency vibrations from motor cars won't affect anything. If they did, the roads would be littered with car parts that had fallen off.
01-03-2018, 10:16 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The low frequency vibrations from motor cars won't affect anything. If they did, the roads would be littered with car parts that had fallen off
I thought they were ! Seriously, though, it's internal screws working loose that concerns me.

01-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If they did, the roads would be littered with car parts that had fallen off.
They are.

Anyway, years ago I sailed up the east coast (of Australia) and stowed my SLR, wrapped in a towel inside a padded camera bag, in a locker low down against the hull.
I thought this would be the driest most secure spot (it was).

Later when I went to use the camera, I found one of lens elements had come loose.

Whether this was caused by engine vibrations of the thumping of the hull against waves I don't know.

As to a modern car, unless driving over extremely bad roads, I don't think I'd worry too much but on a seat would be best.
01-03-2018, 01:50 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Everything has a harmonic/frequency at which it will vibrate. Screws, because they are an inclined plane with very small tolerances between threads, tend to come loose during that vibration - especially if their torque is not enough to hold them in place. The smaller the screw, the higher the frequency that is needed. Also the mass of the object plays into the resonance (and other things).

Violent shaking is something else. Damage from drops is something else. I guess violent acceleration/deceleration?

So what I do is keep my stuff as low as possible, and put as much protection as needed to cancel out the shaking or harmonics if present.

Not much out there is really effective about transmitting harmonics unless something is really hard-mounted to something, so I would not worry too much about that.
01-03-2018, 02:03 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I attached my camera to my pickup securely, and took some long exposure shots driving around at night. You can see how much vibration there is by the street light patterns in the shot. The truck is not terrifically smooth but it vibrated more than I thought. I don't think I'd worry about it a lot.

01-03-2018, 03:21 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Padded camera bags and holsters are very good protection for absorbing vibrations. I consider their protection a must for transporting equipment. Even then, I would avoid setting them in higher vibration areas of the vehicle, like right over the drive shaft or under the dash area. I agree that it depends on the vehicle. Very bottom of the trunk, over exhaust pipes may not be the best either.
01-03-2018, 08:08 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 35mmfilmfan Quote
I thought they were ! Seriously, though, it's internal screws working loose that concerns me.
No, they aren't. At least not in the amounts they would be if parts were routinely vibrating loose and falling off.
I recall being told some years ago that Lowe Pro was using a high density closed cell foam for padding that was specifically designed to to not transfer the very high frequency vibrations from turbojet engines. This might be of interest to people who fly a lot.
I don't think car vibrations are going to start undoing screws in cameras.
01-10-2018, 06:04 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Padded camera bags and holsters are very good protection for absorbing vibrations. I consider their protection a must for transporting equipment. Even then, I would avoid setting them in higher vibration areas of the vehicle, like right over the drive shaft or under the dash area. I agree that it depends on the vehicle. Very bottom of the trunk, over exhaust pipes may not be the best either.
I often go shooting on my bicycle on dirt/gravel roads. My K30 sits in a lowepro bag in a carrier attached to the rear rack, so I imagine it gets a fairly thorough shaking. I've been doing this off and on for several years now. So far no ill effects, though I do have some concern about it.
01-11-2018, 04:59 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arkav Quote
I often go shooting on my bicycle on dirt/gravel roads. My K30 sits in a lowepro bag in a carrier attached to the rear rack, so I imagine it gets a fairly thorough shaking. I've been doing this off and on for several years now. So far no ill effects, though I do have some concern about it.
Wow, that's a testament to the K30 and a novel way to shake any dust off the sensor. I would just suggest that you never leave the camera on with SR activated as you speed through any cobblestone streets. Personally, I'd use a backpack style camera bag on my back while biking.
01-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #27
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
a few days ago, I was driving my 2002 Chevy Suburban with my photo gear loaded in the new Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

on the passenger seat next to me

sure enough I had to slam on the brakes and watch it slide into the foot well

boy do i hope it is ok

some times S (tuff ) happens
01-13-2018, 03:44 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
a few days ago, I was driving my 2002 Chevy Suburban with my photo gear loaded in the new Ruggard Thunderhead 75 DSLR & Laptop Backpack

IMGP0780a1a.jpg - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

on the passenger seat next to me

sure enough I had to slam on the brakes and watch it slide into the foot well

boy do i hope it is ok

some times S (tuff ) happens
I was on my way downtown to the camera store one day when a road boat of a Plymouth ran over my Mazda RX-2 (this was the 70s). My Nikon F2s and 50/1.4 was sitting unprotected on the passenger seat. It hit the windshield, and bounced around, finally ending up behind the brake pedal. Amazingly, it worked for another 6 months until something jammed inside and it had to go in for a repair.
The F2s was one tough sucker.