Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2018, 02:32 AM   #1

Pentax ME trouble with Self Timer and Advance Lever

Hello
My Name is Tobias from Bremen in Germany.

I rediscovered my old Cameras and found a problem with myPentax ME.

After releasing the Self Timer is feels like that theTimer spring has not
enough tension to complete the action. It fires theshutter but then stops.
THIS leads to the Problem that I cannot cock the shutteranymore. I can advance but the shutter is self releasing
When I move the Self Timer Lever a little bit back anforth the Self Timer
complets the action and it is possible to cock theShutter again.
So, how to uninstall the Self Timer and overhaul it?

The second Problem is when the Advance Lever reaches theresting Position it
is loose. At my ME Super the Lever has to overwind alittle resistance and
then it is tight at the resting Positon. How to fix this.

Ahh...and when I opened the bottom cover a tiny Part fellout, before I had
a chance to make something wrong. Please see attachedPhoto. Does someone
know where this comes from?

So if I do not touch the Self Timer the Camera works.

I am thankful for any help.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
GT-I9195I  Photo 
01-05-2018, 06:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure what you are asking. Are you a camera tech? Do you intend to make the repair yourself?

My ME Super was in the same condition as yours, but I took it to a shop for repairs and now it works like new. If you plan to shoot film, you ought to spend a couple bucks to make sure your camera is in shooting order. It's worth the investment.

01-05-2018, 09:46 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Mechanical self-timers are often a source of problems with old cameras. Unless I have paid to have the camera serviced, I don't play with the self-timer. As noted above, a few Euros spent on maintenance help ensure reliable operation.

As for the wind lever, it has two positions at rest. One is stowed against the body and the other is the "ready" position where it is juts out several degrees. It is not unusual for the lever to be fairly loose feeling in the ready position. Whether this is something that can be remedied by service, I don't know.

Steve
01-05-2018, 10:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thing that fell is a portion of the pre-advance click spring. That broken part is why the wind lever flops. The flopping lever does not affect pictures, but is annoying. When parts were available, Pentax no longer supplied this part.

01-06-2018, 09:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hello
Thank you very much for the Answers.

@pentaxus: Thank you. At least i know now what it is. Do you maybe have a picture where I can see, where this spring sits? I will buy another Body for spare parts.

@stevebrot Thank you for your Advise but in my area there is nobody who will service a Camera out of the Seventies and if, then for 100 € the hour and more. So.....I want to play with the self Timer, but I am not sure how to reach it. Therefore I need some hinds, if possible.

@ mattt No, I am not a camera tech, but I am not afraid of tiny parts. I overhauled a Kodak Retina 1a completly by myself and now I need a new challenge I guess. Beside my real Job, I normally use wrenches up to 2" to work at my classic truck, Car, Motorbike and Boat Engine. I worked with carbs and engines. My hands are calm, I can (sometimes ) be extreme patient , I am short sightet and I have the right tools. So I am made for this Job.

I already saw this english service manual but some pictures would tell me more than pages of written stuff.

Do not misunderstand me. Of course I do not WANT to take everything apart, but I want to clean and lube at least the Parts which are not functioning.
I just got on "the Bay" a Pentax ME in (like they say) good condition for 20 Euros plus PP. So at least I can make one out of two and then sell the other one again.

Have a nice weekend

Cheers,
Tobias

Last edited by erekord; 01-06-2018 at 04:27 PM.