Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
01-06-2018, 05:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

WB Adjustable Range

In my K-5's manual at page 91 the menu C2 10. WB Adjustable Range feature is referenced. In page 206 it is once more referenced. I can not practically understand how it works. In which limits it fine tunes, in how much Kelvin value fluctuates? In which cases to use it and where not to enable it? What are the different results?
Can you help me with elaborated examples?

01-06-2018, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hidrieus Quote
What are the different results?
Hi Hidrieus, unless you are having problems with white objects not appearing white on a properly exposed photograph, you do not need to adjust your settings. If you set your white balance manually, as in changing your WB to suit the light source ( daylight, cloudy, tungsten globes etc ) then you must be on the right setting for your images to have true color. I have given a link below that explains it much better than I can. Good luck.

Understanding White Balance
01-06-2018, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

From the K5 manual it appears that even if you specify a WB source (daylight, cloudy etc) the camera will still make an auto adjustment of sorts if it feels it is necessary. How much I have no idea.

I suggest if you don't want the camera to make those adjustments turn the feature off.
01-06-2018, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Veteran Member

For me, it's off and will always be off. It's annoying to shoot under a custom white balance and consistent lighting and have the camera make little adjustments that result in colour shifts across the images. It's easy enough to correct (I shot RAW and do batch adjustments of WB when necessary), but it's also the principle of the thing- I told the camera what WB to use, I don't want it second guessing me.

From the thousand or so shots before I found my k5iis a setting to disable this auto shift (and the years of my k100d annoyingly enforcing this shift), I've seen the Kelvin temp shift up to 250 in either direction, and the magenta/green shift 5 or 6. The limits of the range should be easily testable if you're interested, set a custom WB and swap out different colour papers filling the cameras field of view.

01-14-2018, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For me, it's off and will always be off. It's annoying to shoot under a custom white balance and consistent lighting and have the camera make little adjustments that result in colour shifts across the images. It's easy enough to correct (I shot RAW and do batch adjustments of WB when necessary), but it's also the principle of the thing- I told the camera what WB to use, I don't want it second guessing me.

From the thousand or so shots before I found my k5iis a setting to disable this auto shift (and the years of my k100d annoyingly enforcing this shift), I've seen the Kelvin temp shift up to 250 in either direction, and the magenta/green shift 5 or 6. The limits of the range should be easily testable if you're interested, set a custom WB and swap out different colour papers filling the cameras field of view.
Shifting 250K in either direction is quite a lot when the light source is given in a studio for instance. I think that in a controlled closed working environment I have better to leave this feature off. Thank you all for the replies and suggestions.