Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2018, 05:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K30 screen misbehaving

I went out to shoot this morning. It is cool, Around freezing. I had two pentax AF lenses with my K30.

OK, the issue

The screen turned off and you couldn't review pictures or use live view. Turning it off and on fixed it very temporarily. Also, occasionally auto focus didn't work on a half press. All the pictures I took were on the memory card.

Can this be affected by a bad memory card? I found a sandisk extreme 32gb. I think it may be faulty as it is difficult to retrieve the pictures.

When I got home I switched to a manual focus lens and a memory card I trust. The issue persisted briefly but now it seems to be fine. Should I worry? Is this a known issue? Is there a reboot or am I looking at a trip to the camera shop?

Other bit of info, I am using AA Batteries but they are eneloop pro and are charged

Thanks

01-08-2018, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

If proper functionality came back once you got the camera indoors and warmed up, chances are it's just temperature related. I used to have that same problem with my Minolta X-570 back in my 35mm days. Made it tough when I had to go out and shoot on the ski slopes. It was better with a motor drive attached, which seemed to provide a small degree of insulation to the bottom of the camera.

FWIW: I also use AA Eneloops with my K30 and find them far more satisfactory than the proprietary battery pack that came with the camera.
01-08-2018, 07:39 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Likewise sounds like a cold-related issue to me, perhaps due to the AA batteries. You may get better results with the dedicated battery in the cold, since it delivers a higher voltage.

It could also be that the temperature of the camera dropped really low, especially if you weren't using sealed lenses. It's a good idea to keep the camera tucked away (i.e. inside your jacket) so that it warms up when not in use.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will remember that, particularly the higher voltage of the dedicated battery. I was using a da 35mm and a 100-300, and I did a lens swap just before things went all floopy! Thanks guys, good advice.

So, the K30 is weather resistant, providing said weather isn't the average temperature of a North British winter! Figures lol

01-08-2018, 09:30 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
So, the K30 is weather resistant, providing said weather isn't the average temperature of a North British winter! Figures lol
It's rated for -10C to 40C, AFAIK, but the lens must be sealed.

Also, with lenses such as the 100-300mm, the long focus throw (which necessitates long AF motor operation) can cause the voltage to drop and the camera to misbehave, so just something to keep in mind.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I went back out with an old, manual 50mm. Every time my picture was taken the camera went back in my jacket! Worked a charm :0) and the pictures I got from the vintage glass were worth every moment I was exposed to the elements ........ If you know what I mean :0) Thanks, I was worried there for a bit :0)
01-10-2018, 04:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I just called in at my camera shop and he informed me that Nickel metal hydrate batteries stop giving out power when the temperature gets down to zero. Mystery solved. I will use my proprietors battery when it is really cold and use my envelops as the weather warms up. :0)