Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2018, 02:04 PM   #1

Battery Life

I have two Pentax K 200D DSLR cameras. One has been working great for several years. The "newer" one suddenly has problems. When I insert freshly charged batteries, two things are happening. 1) when I turn the camera on, the LCD display on the top and the display in the monitor are normal. They, once they disappear after a couple of seconds, they cannot be retrieved. 2) when I shut off the camera, the number in the lower right corner of the LCD display remains on. The batteries drain in a matter of minutes.

Any ideas as to cause? Is camera dead - no good anymore?
Thanks for any ideas.

01-09-2018, 04:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Years ago, about 7 or 8 months after I had bought a new *ist-D, it developed excessive battery-power consumption. I contacted the then Pentax service center and sent it in for repair under warranty.

I now still have my Pentax K-200D, which I have not used for some years, because after shooting with it for several years it also developed a similar problem. I should either get it fixed or sell it as-is.
01-09-2018, 04:35 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. So, originally, Pentax? was able to identify and repair the problem? Mine isn't under warranty, is it cost-effective to get repaired? Where, at Pentax? Is the problem considered "excessive battery consumption"?
01-09-2018, 07:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would look at the battery contacts. My *ist DS used to get a buildup on the contacts and have lots of peculiar symptoms. A pencil eraser should clean them up. Get all the surfaces shiny. Then maybe get some lithium non-rechargeable AAs and use them, because they have a higher voltage. Each battery is 1.5 volts instead of 1.2 from rechargeable AAs, and with 4, that's like an extra battery.

Digital cameras all have an internal battery to keep the settings and run the clock. That dies at some point and may be causing problems. You'd probably have to be handy with a soldering iron to fix it yourself.

01-10-2018, 07:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

The K200D is a nice camera but given its age, it's probably more cost effective to replace it than to repair it. You can easily find another comparable camera body for around $100-$150 but the repair might cost twice that much. All of the bodies I own are in that age range and as much as I like them, I honestly wouldn't consider having any of them repaired if they went bad. Better to put the cost of the repair toward a newer body, IMO.
01-10-2018, 09:54 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks to Just1MoreDave and E-Man. I had checked the battery contacts, but will do so again and will try the pencil eraser. Good idea! I had a feeling any repair would not be worth the cost, and I can actually do without the second camera. However, with a safari trip to Africa booked,it's recommended to take two cameras if possible, in case of any problem with one, and also if I could take both, I'd have two lenses at the ready, one on each camera, to grab for whichever kind of shots I wanted to take without delay. Any additional info from anyone is invited and appreciated!
01-10-2018, 02:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

There was a battery grip for the K200D. If the camera is working OK and you found one cheap, that might be useful, and bypass the battery contacts.

I would start looking at used camera prices. The K200D was great for its time, but tech has moved on. A K-7 would be a significant update, and cheap.
01-11-2018, 07:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
Hi, thanks again for the suggestion. However, like I said, I don't need two cameras; if this is no longer viable, I'll rent another cam for the safari. At present, a friend who works in IT and electronics has worked on some things and then took it with him to open it up. It can't hurt, last ditch effort. I still have my other camera, which works great!

01-11-2018, 01:56 PM   #9
Pentaxian

As far as a fix, hopefully your handy friend can help. The more I think on it, I believe I will have my low-use K200D restored to normalcy, since it is a quality camera body that runs on AA battery power. Pentax used to have their own repair facility, but since they have been bought by parent companies, their repair needs are contracted out.
01-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #10

Original Poster
How that you mention it, I believe I did have my other Pentax K200 repaired one time several years ago. I can't remember what the issue was back then, but I had to ship the camera somewhere I think, and it cost around $300. Back then, it was worth it to me. So, yeah, my friend will open it up, and like I say, if he can't get it working better, so be it. I'll live with only ONE camera! I keep wondering when I'll have to upgrade, but so far, no need. I hope it's not on a trip to some other country when my good one dies. I have been very satisfied with the K 200D, and it does perform well and takes good photos - satisfies my needs. Will you contact Pentax to start your repair process?
01-11-2018, 05:44 PM   #11

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
I have a Pentax charger plugged in all the time..every month or so i'll rotate all my bat's through on that charger ..using them or not..to keep 'em topped up..once charged, back in the bag till the next go around..usually don't leave on the charger once the light goes, yet do forget sometimes..