Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2018, 10:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this Fungus or Haze?

Recently bought a Good Condition Tokina 28-70 F3.5 to 4.5 lens for Pentax from UsedPhotoPro.com. Lens was posted as having some fungus and was sold @ $11 + free shipping.

Took a chance, Lens seems sharp with my indoor testing.

The rear element shows ring kind of layer, can't figure out if its haze or fungus.

Here are few pics of the lens with light thru back of the lens.

Pics taken with this lens seems to come out well with good contrast and brightness.

Haven't shot Outdoor yet.

How do I clean it? What is it actually?

BTW well built lens.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2 XL  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Pixel 2 XL  Photo 
01-11-2018, 01:24 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Looks like element separation to me. Effectively a form of haze. CAn only be repaired by dismantling, separating elements, cleaning off the affected glue and re-glueing. Not an easy task for a zoom lens generally, but, work the effort if you want to get 'cheap' lenses and repair yourself.
01-11-2018, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It does look like separation. It may take a bit of searching, but there are a couple of threads on here about repairing lens separation, including recommended glues.

It’s a good lens, but the time and money invested may be more than a good copy would cost.
01-11-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
hmm, it won't damage my camera right?

Indoor with multiple light sources and wide open, the pics look 'hazy', but use fill flash or stop it down couple pics turn out ok. I tried the same settings with another 35-135 lens and that one wide open came out well with good contrast.

May be effect of this extra stuff on the back of the lens?

I also see some black liquid thing flown out of the rear and dry now.

Sample pics taken (good lighting) with this Lens and K50
70mm @ F4.5
70mm @ F5.6
70mm @ F7.1
28mm @ F3.5
28mm @ F4.5

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 

Last edited by suraswami; 01-11-2018 at 09:33 AM. Reason: adding sample pictures
01-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, it will not damage your camera. But what do you mean by black liquid? Is it on the outside or inside of the camera?
01-11-2018, 08:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
No, it will not damage your camera. But what do you mean by black liquid? Is it on the outside or inside of the camera?
It's outside of the Rear element of the lens.
01-12-2018, 05:36 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking at my Tokina 28-70 (older version but similar build) it sounds like oil from the aperture blades. Now I’m wondering if your lens didn’t get baked, as in left in a very hot car for a long period of time.
01-12-2018, 08:29 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
Looking at my Tokina 28-70 (older version but similar build) it sounds like oil from the aperture blades. Now Iím wondering if your lens didnít get baked, as in left in a very hot car for a long period of time.
No idea. Oh well for $11 + free shipping the lens still takes good pics, will try out more this weekend.

01-16-2018, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like a classical case of "Newton's Rings" named after the famous English physicist Isaac Newton. It occurs when a curve optical surface touches a flat glass surface causing a varying circular space between the two. Light passing through causes optical interference patterns that take the form of concentric rings. I think that lens element separation moves the two surfaces into close contact causing the ring pattern. Exactly how this happens I don't know. It will depend on the final placement of the individual glass elements after lens separation occurs. Google Newton's rings to learn more.
01-16-2018, 08:04 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Whatever the problem is this lens still takes very good pictures. I did a photo shoot inside our temple and all the pictures turned out very well and some amazing. Thru the view finder the scene seems less bright when compared to other normal lens.

Anyway the lens is sharp wide open too, with good contrast.

For $11 I can't complain.

I wish I can post some pics that I took, but since it's religious don't know if the rules of this site allow to post.
01-25-2018, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #11
fmw

Fungus is easy to remove. Element separation such as you have, though, is quite tricky and an error in getting the elements back exactly the same way can make things worse. I don't recommend you try it. Since the lens is getting the job done for you, use it as it is.