Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 08:26 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
I tried to reproduce this with my screens, but wasn't able to see it.

And you really see it only on the Google web page?
It turns out that not only Google but web pages that have a light interface from edge to edge.

01-14-2018, 09:45 AM   #17

Original Poster

01-14-2018, 10:41 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unapye Quote
It turns out that not only Google but web pages that have a light interface from edge to edge.
What is the shutter speed? Maybe increase your f-stop to slow down your shutter speed and see if that makes a difference.
Or use Manual mode to ensure your shutter speed doesn't change dependent upon the screen color (brightness).

I suspect, like others, that the screen refresh rate is the main culprit and is in conflict with faster shutter speeds.
01-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #19

Original Poster
Shuter speed was 1/90 but I tried different speeds like 4s and I used manual.
Why do you think that this is about screen refreshing?
Do different websites cause different refreshing? Is there any other refresh rate at the top of present page than at the bottom?
And if a reason is the screen refreshing why it affects an area beyond the monitor ?

01-14-2018, 01:04 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by unapye Quote
Shuter speed was 1/90 but I tried different speeds like 4s and I used manual.
Why do you think that this is about screen refreshing?
Do different websites cause different refreshing? Is there any other refresh rate at the top of present page than at the bottom?
And if a reason is the screen refreshing why it affects an area beyond the monitor ?
Not specifically about screen refresh rate so much as the combination with shutter speed. If your camera is in some sort of auto mode, the shutter speed will change with the amount of light from the screen.
Thus a nearly-all-white screen like Google is going to put out more light and possibly cause your shutter speed to increase. Darker screens may cause a longer shutter speed.

Slower shutter will be more likely to allow multiple screen-refreshes to overlap and help hide variance in pixel brightness which would occur during refresh. The high speed variations caused by refresh could cause pixel-shift to work poorly when putting things back together.

There's a lot of If's and possible places for variation. Which is why some are asking if this occurs for static objects.
Also why I mentioned using Manual setting on the camera to make sure your shutter speed does not vary from image to image.