Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Loading Software

Hello folks,
I am new to Pentax and just bought the K-1. I am setting it up today, and had my Son format my card, and download the firmware update. What I need to know is did that process load all of the software that runs the camera? Or, do I load software for the k-1 from somewhere else, then do firmware updates separately?
Thank you for any fast replies so I can get this finished today.
Terry

01-13-2018, 11:48 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Terry, welcome. The K-1 will run fine out of the box; the firmware update just adds all the latest updates and stability fixes. You should be good to go.

It's a different story if you're talking about the processing software supplied with the camera, Digital Camera Utility 5 which is used for developing RAW files, and needs to be installed to your computer from the disc that comes with the camera. You can use this, or other software for Raw development/processing, for example the payware Adobe Lightroom, or Camera Raw/Photoshop, or freeware RawTherapee or Faststone Image Viewer. If you're going to shoot JPGs initially, then you can transfer those to your computer by either connecting by cable, or importing from the SD card.
01-13-2018, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Excellent! Thank you so much!
Terry
01-13-2018, 01:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

>>What I need to know is did that process load all of the software that runs the camera?
Firmware is the only software required for camera to function. Rest are all optional, and they go to PC.

01-14-2018, 04:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So long ago that I got a new card but to my knowledge you will need to format the card in the camera to get the basic folder structure before you can take photos.
01-14-2018, 11:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxfall Quote
>>What I need to know is did that process load all of the software that runs the camera?
Firmware is the only software required for camera to function. Rest are all optional, and they go to PC.
Hello,
Thank you. What do you mean by optional and goes to PC? There is so much to learn, but I just love my K-1, 24-70, and 15-30 kit. I wished there was a tutorial on how to use it. Or even a CD that I could buy.
Terry

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 11:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
So long ago that I got a new card but to my knowledge you will need to format the card in the camera to get the basic folder structure before you can take photos.
Hello,
My Son did it for me. He formatted it in my PC card reader. He also downloaded the firmware to the card, in the PC. Hope that was right. My camera seems to be working.
Thank you,
Terry
01-14-2018, 11:49 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
My Son did it for me. He formatted it in my PC card reader. He also downloaded the firmware to the card, in the PC. Hope that was right. My camera seems to be working.
Did you guys actually run the firmware update? You can see the current version in the camera's setup (wrench icon) menu. The latest version is 1.43.

If not, press the menu button while powering the camera on to start the update, make sure the camera is fully charged, and don't interrupt it until it tells you it's done.

Pentax Firmware Update Guide - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-14-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
That's good to know. I will do it. But, everything seems to be working well.
Thanks,
Terry

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 01:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Did you guys actually run the firmware update? You can see the current version in the camera's setup (wrench icon) menu. The latest version is 1.43.

If not, press the menu button while powering the camera on to start the update, make sure the camera is fully charged, and don't interrupt it until it tells you it's done.

Gosh, thank you, Adam. I will look in the menu, and if not I will do that process you explained. This is some great help.
Terry
01-14-2018, 03:57 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just a suggestion but card needs to be formatted in the camera, not on the computer.
01-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

I did exactly what you said, and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much.
Terry
01-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
I did exactly what you said, and it worked perfectly. Thank you very much.
Terry
Happy to hear that! No problem

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2018, 05:22 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is easy to format a new SD card. Just go to menu, then using your 4-way controller's right button, tab way over to the tools section. Within its pages you'll find a page with "Format" then scroll down to it to activate. Anything already on the card will be permanently erased in the process, so it is also a convenient way of emptying a card you've been using to clear it for new use. I hope your K-1 came with a full camera manual. If not, you can download one from the Ricoh/Pentax USA website.

But unfortunately, manuals in recent years don't do a good, detailed job of explaining some very useful features, including the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. It brings unique operational functionality to shooting in both Program mode, and Manual mode. If you do not know about it and how it works, just say so and I'll be glad to provide details. I've done that so many times already- so maybe we've had this conversation?

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-15-2018 at 05:32 PM.