Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Fiscal dilemma

Ok, it looks like my K30 has the aperture fault. The question is, fix or replace?

Replacement would be a K3 because a K30 or K50 could have the same problem, also if I am going to step, it may as well be up. The problem is I would have to finance it because I dont have min 500 lying around. Also, I know other models have the aperture issue but does the K3?

The fix option. I expect it to be around 150 by Pentax but the question is, how reliable is the fix? Have there been any reports of a repeat failure?

I love my K30, its a great camera and keeping it for another five years is no problem to me as it does everything I need. Question is, what would you guys do?

01-13-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 44,830
The aperture issue doesn't affect the K-3, which is a really reliable body. Pretty sure you could get a used one with low mileage for less than that, too- especially if you consider buying from overseas.

As a lot of users have either gotten the repair or done it themselves, I'll let them chime in on the reliably there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2018, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
Aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
sorry to hear about the problem

" Final Words
If your camera's aperture control mechanism fails, don't panic! Contact your local service center to see if you even have to pay for the repair. Note that Pentax has not issued any service advisories or recalls related to this issue, so free service outside of warranty is not a guarantee. If the repair quote is higher than the value of the camera, consider selling it as-is to fund an upgrade to a body not affected by this issue, such as a member of the K-3 or K-5 family.


Read more at: Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

the above was written in 2016 but who knows???

worth the time to contact the repair facility perhaps

good luck

________________

check the market place to see if there are any K 3 or K 3 II or K 5 II or K 5 IIs in your area which might be within your budget
01-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The aperture issue doesn't affect the K-3, which is a really reliable body. Pretty sure you could get a used one with low mileage for less than that, too- especially if you consider buying from overseas.

As a lot of users have either gotten the repair or done it themselves, I'll let them chime in on the reliably there.
Aaargh, don't mention overseas, I bought an 18-135mm from Japan for 150 all in, then the BL**dy customs hit me for another 50! There is a shop selling a K3 with 777 actuations for just over 500 but I just cleaned out my bank balance on lenses!

---------- Post added 01-13-18 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
sorry to hear about the problem

" Final Words
If your camera's aperture control mechanism fails, don't panic! Contact your local service center to see if you even have to pay for the repair. Note that Pentax has not issued any service advisories or recalls related to this issue, so free service outside of warranty is not a guarantee. If the repair quote is higher than the value of the camera, consider selling it as-is to fund an upgrade to a body not affected by this issue, such as a member of the K-3 or K-5 family.


Read more at: Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

the above was written in 2016 but who knows???

worth the time to contact the repair facility perhaps

good luck

________________

check the market place to see if there are any K 3 or K 3 II or K 5 II or K 5 IIs in your area which might be within your budget
:0) I emailed the service centre and asked them a) the price and b) how much to service it while they have it on the table. The ideal would be to fix it and I don't really mind 150 if I end up with a reliable unit. Even spending that would mean I had paid overall what I would have for the equivalent Nikon, and having handled the Nikon today, I much prefer my K30

At the moment, switching from lithium to AA battery's seems to sort it so it isn't dead yet, just not very well lol


Last edited by Cerebum; 01-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.
01-13-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 7,287
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The ideal would be to fix it and I don't really mind 150 if I end up with a reliable unit. Even spending that would mean I had paid overall what I would have for the equivalent Nikon, and having handled the Nikon today, I much prefer my K30

At the moment, switching from lithium to AA battery's seems to sort it so it isn't dead yet, just not very well lol
I'm not normally one for recommending throwing money at an older model camera - however, the K-30 is nice, and yours (aperture solenoid aside) should have plenty of life left in it. If you can get it fixed, with a warranty on the repair, for 150 or less then I'd be tempted to go with that. The value of the camera as it stands is low... and 150 won't buy you much in terms of a different body... a K10D or maybe a K20D if you're lucky. So, this gets you back into a working camera, and one that you know you like, for relatively sensible money.

Alternatively, you can stick with the AA batteries
01-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian
Imp's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Washington, DC
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,366
Who do we contact for repairs? My K-30 recently had an aperture block failure was well. I'm in D.C.
01-13-2018, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter
Aslyfox's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Topeka, Kansas
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,745
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Who do we contact for repairs? My K-30 recently had an aperture block failure was well. I'm in D.C.
if I am not mistaken

in the US it is Precision Camera

Ricoh - Pentax Camera Repair | Authorized Service Center | Precision Camera

I've been lucky and never had to deal with a repair

[ knock on wood ]

Last edited by Aslyfox; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.
01-13-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
ronniemac's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Oxford
Photos: Albums
Posts: 145
Sad to hear yet another aperture failure on the K-30.

Lot's of K-5's around for under 250, same sensor as K-30 or K-50 but a better camera by far.

01-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Sad to hear yet another aperture failure on the K-30.

Lot's of K-5's around for under 250, same sensor as K-30 or K-50 but a better camera by far.
Does the K5 have the curse of the aperture block?
01-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #10
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 7,287
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Does the K5 have the curse of the aperture block?
No, it doesn't. It's a very reliable camera. I've had mine for years, and it just goes on and on.

If you decide to go down that route, I think you'll be very pleased with it. Hold out for a nice example with relatively-low shutter count. They turn up fairly frequently in our Marketplace
01-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #11
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No, it doesn't. It's a very reliable camera. I've had mine for years, and it just goes on and on.

If you decide to go down that route, I think you'll be very pleased with it. Hold out for a nice example with relatively-low shutter count. They turn up fairly frequently in our Marketplace
I have found two K5II on eBay around the 280 mark, both around 6k actuations. I will price up the repair first but this is a great suggestion and one that is manageable thanks
01-14-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North East of England
Posts: 7,287
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have found two K5II on eBay around the 280 mark, both around 6k actuations. I will price up the repair first but this is a great suggestion and one that is manageable thanks
There's an immaculate, boxed K-5II + 18-55 WR lens on eBay right now for 279 + 10 shipping, with only 2,829 actuations. 17 watchers, and I can understand why... it's barely broken in

As I say, though, these deals come up quite frequently. I've seen the K-5 (not the II model) sell for as little as 200, which is ridiculous considering the features and image quality...
01-14-2018, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2015
Location: Hampshire
Photos: Albums
Posts: 510
My K-5 came with a little over 77k actuations from SRS Microsystems, apart from a little wear on a couple of buttons, it was in lovely condition.
A couple of weeks off having owned it for three years it is at 92,373 actuations. Being a little old I don't spray shots all over the place and don't suggest I am anything but a poor photographer but I know what I like. The K-5 is a great camera even if it as lacking many of the improvements of more recent Pentax bodies.


Anyway I should get to the point, it cost me GBP199 and came with a warranty. What a bargain! I'm not even thinking of replacing it with a newer Pentax just yet.
01-14-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's an immaculate, boxed K-5II + 18-55 WR lens on eBay right now for 279 + 10 shipping, with only 2,829 actuations. 17 watchers, and I can understand why... it's barely broken in

As I say, though, these deals come up quite frequently. I've seen the K-5 (not the II model) sell for as little as 200, which is ridiculous considering the features and image quality...
I am one of the people watching it :0)

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 04:33 PM ----------

There is a thread comparing the K30 and the K5 and honours are pretty much even. My plan is to fix my K30, this will save me 150. I will then start stuffing 2 coins in my piggy bank ready for a serious upgrade in the future. I love my K30, I really do:0) the K5 II would be a step up but I have spent a load on an 18-135mm and a 10-17mm so need to put the breaks on.


Fantastic replies as always, certainly gave me credible options in the event of my blue boy being truly knackered. Thanks. :0) I love this forum
3 Days Ago   #15
Forum Member




Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 81
Original Poster
OK. My k30 is being repaired. Price for a full service, a new CMOS battery and the aperture block, 214

I am OK with that as I not only do i now have a camera that is perfect for me at my current level, I also have peace of mind in a camera with a clean bill of health. Its just a shame that everything seems to cost me 50 more than expected!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
aperture, aperture issue, body, camera, contact, fix, ii, issue, k-3, k3, k30, k5, love, nikon, pentax help, photography, question, repair, service, troubleshooting
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Misc Solar eclipse dilemma Vasyl Post Your Photos! 3 08-23-2017 09:16 AM
Is M.A. in Photography worth it ? UK Job opportunities? "Huge Life Dilemma" G.E.Zekai Photographic Industry and Professionals 28 03-14-2017 12:32 PM
Another dilemma: I will need a zoom lens in the 70-200mm range ... Relatively Cheap ! jpzk Pentax DSLR Discussion 37 02-15-2017 11:29 AM
The Onion's Plan For Solving The Fiscal Cliff Crisis boriscleto General Talk 2 12-11-2012 06:38 AM
Dilemma, dilemma ... Bronco Pentax DSLR Discussion 31 04-15-2008 05:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:48 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top