Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Fiscal dilemma

Ok, it looks like my K30 has the aperture fault. The question is, fix or replace?

Replacement would be a K3 because a K30 or K50 could have the same problem, also if I am going to step, it may as well be up. The problem is I would have to finance it because I don’t have min £500 lying around. Also, I know other models have the aperture issue but does the K3?

The fix option. I expect it to be around £150 by Pentax but the question is, how reliable is the fix? Have there been any reports of a repeat failure?

I love my K30, it’s a great camera and keeping it for another five years is no problem to me as it does everything I need. Question is, what would you guys do?

01-13-2018, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The aperture issue doesn't affect the K-3, which is a really reliable body. Pretty sure you could get a used one with low mileage for less than that, too- especially if you consider buying from overseas.

As a lot of users have either gotten the repair or done it themselves, I'll let them chime in on the reliably there.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-13-2018, 02:33 PM - 1 Like   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry to hear about the problem

" Final Words
If your camera's aperture control mechanism fails, don't panic! Contact your local service center to see if you even have to pay for the repair. Note that Pentax has not issued any service advisories or recalls related to this issue, so free service outside of warranty is not a guarantee. If the repair quote is higher than the value of the camera, consider selling it as-is to fund an upgrade to a body not affected by this issue, such as a member of the K-3 or K-5 family.

Read more at: Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

the above was written in 2016 but who knows???

worth the time to contact the repair facility perhaps

good luck

check the market place to see if there are any K 3 or K 3 II or K 5 II or K 5 IIs in your area which might be within your budget
01-13-2018, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The aperture issue doesn't affect the K-3, which is a really reliable body. Pretty sure you could get a used one with low mileage for less than that, too- especially if you consider buying from overseas.

As a lot of users have either gotten the repair or done it themselves, I'll let them chime in on the reliably there.
Aaargh, don't mention overseas, I bought an 18-135mm from Japan for £150 all in, then the BL**dy customs hit me for another £50! There is a shop selling a K3 with 777 actuations for just over £500 but I just cleaned out my bank balance on lenses!

---------- Post added 01-13-18 at 02:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
sorry to hear about the problem

" Final Words
If your camera's aperture control mechanism fails, don't panic! Contact your local service center to see if you even have to pay for the repair. Note that Pentax has not issued any service advisories or recalls related to this issue, so free service outside of warranty is not a guarantee. If the repair quote is higher than the value of the camera, consider selling it as-is to fund an upgrade to a body not affected by this issue, such as a member of the K-3 or K-5 family.

Read more at: Pentax Aperture Block Failure Survey Results - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

the above was written in 2016 but who knows???

worth the time to contact the repair facility perhaps

good luck

check the market place to see if there are any K 3 or K 3 II or K 5 II or K 5 IIs in your area which might be within your budget
:0) I emailed the service centre and asked them a) the price and b) how much to service it while they have it on the table. The ideal would be to fix it and I don't really mind £150 if I end up with a reliable unit. Even spending that would mean I had paid overall what I would have for the equivalent Nikon, and having handled the Nikon today, I much prefer my K30

At the moment, switching from lithium to AA battery's seems to sort it so it isn't dead yet, just not very well lol

Last edited by Cerebum; 01-13-2018 at 02:45 PM.
01-13-2018, 02:59 PM - 1 Like   #5
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
The ideal would be to fix it and I don't really mind £150 if I end up with a reliable unit. Even spending that would mean I had paid overall what I would have for the equivalent Nikon, and having handled the Nikon today, I much prefer my K30

At the moment, switching from lithium to AA battery's seems to sort it so it isn't dead yet, just not very well lol
I'm not normally one for recommending throwing money at an older model camera - however, the K-30 is nice, and yours (aperture solenoid aside) should have plenty of life left in it. If you can get it fixed, with a warranty on the repair, for £150 or less then I'd be tempted to go with that. The value of the camera as it stands is low... and £150 won't buy you much in terms of a different body... a K10D or maybe a K20D if you're lucky. So, this gets you back into a working camera, and one that you know you like, for relatively sensible money.

Alternatively, you can stick with the AA batteries
01-13-2018, 07:43 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Who do we contact for repairs? My K-30 recently had an aperture block failure was well. I'm in D.C.
01-13-2018, 08:03 PM - 1 Like   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Who do we contact for repairs? My K-30 recently had an aperture block failure was well. I'm in D.C.
if I am not mistaken

in the US it is Precision Camera

Ricoh - Pentax Camera Repair | Authorized Service Center | Precision Camera

I've been lucky and never had to deal with a repair

[ knock on wood ]

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-13-2018 at 08:08 PM.
01-13-2018, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #8

Photos: Albums
Sad to hear yet another aperture failure on the K-30.

Lot's of K-5's around for under £250, same sensor as K-30 or K-50 but a better camera by far.
01-14-2018, 01:29 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ronniemac Quote
Sad to hear yet another aperture failure on the K-30.

Lot's of K-5's around for under £250, same sensor as K-30 or K-50 but a better camera by far.
Does the K5 have the curse of the aperture block?
01-14-2018, 02:07 AM   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Does the K5 have the curse of the aperture block?
No, it doesn't. It's a very reliable camera. I've had mine for years, and it just goes on and on.

If you decide to go down that route, I think you'll be very pleased with it. Hold out for a nice example with relatively-low shutter count. They turn up fairly frequently in our Marketplace
01-14-2018, 02:11 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
No, it doesn't. It's a very reliable camera. I've had mine for years, and it just goes on and on.

If you decide to go down that route, I think you'll be very pleased with it. Hold out for a nice example with relatively-low shutter count. They turn up fairly frequently in our Marketplace
I have found two K5II on eBay around the £280 mark, both around 6k actuations. I will price up the repair first but this is a great suggestion and one that is manageable thanks
01-14-2018, 02:32 AM - 1 Like   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I have found two K5II on eBay around the £280 mark, both around 6k actuations. I will price up the repair first but this is a great suggestion and one that is manageable thanks
There's an immaculate, boxed K-5II + 18-55 WR lens on eBay right now for £279 + £10 shipping, with only 2,829 actuations. 17 watchers, and I can understand why... it's barely broken in

As I say, though, these deals come up quite frequently. I've seen the K-5 (not the II model) sell for as little as £200, which is ridiculous considering the features and image quality...
01-14-2018, 02:49 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My K-5 came with a little over 77k actuations from SRS Microsystems, apart from a little wear on a couple of buttons, it was in lovely condition.
A couple of weeks off having owned it for three years it is at 92,373 actuations. Being a little old I don't spray shots all over the place and don't suggest I am anything but a poor photographer but I know what I like. The K-5 is a great camera even if it as lacking many of the improvements of more recent Pentax bodies.

Anyway I should get to the point, it cost me GBP£199 and came with a warranty. What a bargain! I'm not even thinking of replacing it with a newer Pentax just yet.
01-14-2018, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
There's an immaculate, boxed K-5II + 18-55 WR lens on eBay right now for £279 + £10 shipping, with only 2,829 actuations. 17 watchers, and I can understand why... it's barely broken in

As I say, though, these deals come up quite frequently. I've seen the K-5 (not the II model) sell for as little as £200, which is ridiculous considering the features and image quality...
I am one of the people watching it :0)

---------- Post added 01-14-18 at 04:33 PM ----------

There is a thread comparing the K30 and the K5 and honours are pretty much even. My plan is to fix my K30, this will save me £150. I will then start stuffing £2 coins in my piggy bank ready for a serious upgrade in the future. I love my K30, I really do:0) the K5 II would be a step up but I have spent a load on an 18-135mm and a 10-17mm so need to put the breaks on.

Fantastic replies as always, certainly gave me credible options in the event of my blue boy being truly knackered. Thanks. :0) I love this forum
01-20-2018, 04:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
OK. My k30 is being repaired. Price for a full service, a new CMOS battery and the aperture block, £214

I am OK with that as I not only do i now have a camera that is perfect for me at my current level, I also have peace of mind in a camera with a clean bill of health. Its just a shame that everything seems to cost me £50 more than expected!