Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2018, 10:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Type of lenses to go with a K-1

I've recently come across a K-1 that I am considering. What are the names of the lenses that match with this FF camera? Must they have the 'D" and "FF" in the name of the lens? Also, I see a lot of Sigma lenses for sale on the For Sale site. Are Sigma lenses considered to be of good quality (vs Pentax) and are there any Sigma lens codes/numbers/letters that need to be on the lens if they are going on a K-1.

01-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Current FF lenses from Pentax:
Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Current FF lenses from third parties:
Full Frame Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Legacy FF lenses from Pentax:
Legacy Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Legacy FF lenses from third parties:
Almost everything here if it looks old - Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

For Pentax, any lens series except DA covers full frame. However, the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm are exceptions to this rule, and you also can get away with using a handful of other lenses such as the DA 40mm Limited and DA 50mm F1.8 without much issue. It's the wider lenses that struggle: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

For Sigma, look for "DG" and for Tamron, look for Di (not Di II).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2018, 10:48 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Current FF lenses from Pentax:
Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Current FF lenses from third parties:
Full Frame Third Party Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Legacy FF lenses from Pentax:
Legacy Full Frame Lenses | PentaxForums.com

Legacy FF lenses from third parties:
Almost everything here if it looks old - Pentax Lenses by Sigma, Tamron, Zeiss, and more - Reviews and Specification Database - Pentax Lens Review Database

For Pentax, any lens series except DA covers full frame. However, the DA* 200mm, DA* 300mm, and DA 560mm are exceptions to this rule, and you also can get away with using a handful of other lenses such as the DA 40mm Limited and DA 50mm F1.8 without much issue. It's the wider lenses that struggle: DA lenses on Full Frame: Test Shots thread - PentaxForums.com

For Sigma, look for "DG" and for Tamron, look for Di (not Di II).

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2018, 10:49 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

This may also be helpful, though the third-party list above will be more exhaustive.

Pentax K-1 Lens Compatibility Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

Adam

01-14-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Buy an FA-77mm for your K-1, the combination produces incredible results.
01-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I have a lot of SIgma lenses and I have been very pleased with them. I have recently purchased the Pentax 24-70 and it is rapidly becoming one of my favorite lens. Some of the older SIgma if you can find them are very good I have a 50m f1.4 HSM Sigma which is a great lenses and a 70-200 f2.8 HSM both of which are no longer made in Pentax mounts but to be found used.

The K1 is a great camera and I am sure you will pleased with it
01-14-2018, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #7

I am very impressed with the Pentax full frame zooms I have. Back in the day when I used film I checked out Sigma and Tamron but ended up purchasing Vivitar Series I lenses because the image was clean and not grainy like the other two companies. So I would suggest keeping an eye on Vivitar Series I lenses if you want some older glass. It is subjective and there will be many who disagree, but I would never suggest a person buy Sigma or Tamron zoom lenses from the 1970's or 1980's to use with a K-1.

01-14-2018, 02:34 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Whilst the DA*55 is not on the list its beautiful in FF. The DA70 Ltd is also good for portraits in FF.
01-15-2018, 06:01 PM   #9
Pentaxian

The K-1 is a very toughly-built pro-style camera body, which includes weather sealing, or WR (Weather Resistant). But if a non-WR lens is on the camera, this feature is not in effect. Most 3rd party lenses are non- WR, although a few of their most expensive models are. For an all-around, versatile zoom lens of very high optical quality and very good build quality, the Pentax HD (for High Definition coatings) DFA 28-105mm f/3.5-5.6 ED DC WR comes highly recommended by virtually all users having this lens. The cost is around $497.

if you need to shoot fast action subject matter, and/or shoot often in low-light situations, then a pro-style "fast" zoom lens having a wider, constant-aperture capability, letting in more light affording a higher shutter speed in the same lighting, would be best, which is the Pentax HD DFA 24-70mm f/2.8 ED SDM WR lens. As you notice, to achieve this wider-aperture "speed", the lens does not have as much zoom range, especially at the longer telephoto end. It is also larger, heavier, and far more expensive. Usually about $1,297 but now on special at around $1,097. Check B&H (whichI just did), or Amazon, and Adorama.

You can also buy the first Pentax zoom zoom lens mentioned, then also buy a non-zoom lens- a "prime" lens of a particular focal length, such as the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 or FA 35mm f/2 (now on special at $272) which are not WR but are very "fast" lenses, offering very wide aperture capability, for far less money than a fast zoom lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-15-2018 at 06:21 PM.