Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 11:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Registering new equipment.

Hello Folks,
I have a new K-1, 15-30, and 24-70, and would like to register them for warrantee purposes. I looked on the website and couldn't find where to so it. Your help is appreciated.
Terry

01-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Go to the Ricoh Imaging website, at click on Register - you'll probably have to create a log in etc - but the US site is a bit different to the UK one where I'm registered, so just follow the links, I'd guess
01-15-2018, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello Folks,
I have a new K-1, 15-30, and 24-70, and would like to register them for warrantee purposes. I looked on the website and couldn't find where to so it. Your help is appreciated.
Terry
Registration isn't needed/available in the US (except for the 645Z I believe). Just be sure to keep your original receipts. You will get warranty coverage if you purchased from an authorized dealer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Registration isn't needed/available in the US (except for the 645Z I believe). Just be sure to keep your original receipts. You will get warranty coverage if you purchased from an authorized dealer.
Thank you both. I did buy from an authorized dealer, and gather up my receipts this morning. I just put them in a safe place. Boy I tell ya, I really love my Pentax equipment. I love this site, too.
Regards,
Terry

01-15-2018, 12:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Yeah, registration isn't necessary. I had the same question when I bought k-1, the representative on the phone said registration data is just stored somewhere and is not used for warranty purposes. I thought it was a bit odd that Pentax isn't using this for at least marketing to their own customer base. I remember Olympus had a proper profile on the website, where you can register gear that shows up in your profile, and they'd send me customized offers to my emails, I'm guessing based on my gear.
01-15-2018, 12:14 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Registration isn't necessary here either, but it's a good idea to have the serial number registered somewhere in case of loss or theft - they even have a system for uploading a scan of your purchase invoice here. Makes sense to me
01-15-2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Yeah, registration isn't necessary. I had the same question when I bought k-1, the representative on the phone said registration data is just stored somewhere and is not used for warranty purposes. I thought it was a bit odd that Pentax isn't using this for at least marketing to their own customer base. I remember Olympus had a proper profile on the website, where you can register gear that shows up in your profile, and they'd send me customized offers to my emails, I'm guessing based on my gear.
Ricoh, marketing?

01-15-2018, 12:47 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

not the same as what the OP was asking about but I have my cameras and lenses registered with Lenstag.com

Lenstag - Protect your camera equipment, images and help make the world safer for photography on iOS, Android and the web.

" Why should I register my gear before it gets stolen?

The first few hours after a theft are absolutely critical to getting the word out & preventing resale of the stolen gear. If your gear is already registered, then you just have to sign in & flag the items as stolen (and optionally provide additional information).

If you wait until after your gear is stolen, you'll have to add the gear, verify it with something else other than a picture of the serial number and wait a day or two for someone at Lenstag to approve the verification request. By then the gear has probably been pawned or sold and the chances of successful recovery are substantially lower. "

it is a free world wide service

Last edited by aslyfox; 01-16-2018 at 03:04 AM.
01-15-2018, 02:08 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Ricoh, marketing?
This was before I found out that Ricoh marketing budget is smaller than amount of change in my pocket
01-15-2018, 10:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello Folks,
Terry
Terry, welcome to the forum and bravo on your new K-1. I concur with what others have already posted, but would like to add that this forum also has a section where you can list your camera and lenses:

Pentax Serial Number Database - PentaxForums.com

You can refer to it if you want to send a question to a forum member with the same gear or to see if something used is marked red to ʻavoidʻ because it was stolen.
01-16-2018, 07:15 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As boriscleto suggested, I've found that registering on line is primarily an invitation to at least weekly advertising delivered to your computer. I registered my Oly OMD 10 and within days I was being encouraged to get a better Oly camera, and more Oly lenses, and Oly flashes, and extra Oly batteries, and Oly cases, and Oly T-shirts, and.... As with charitable organizations that use SnailMail, once their computer has your EMAIL or home address, you're in for life and then some. Not responding goes unnoticed - computers don't get bored or frustrated.
01-16-2018, 08:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Isn't the phrase "Ricoh marketing" an oxymoron?
01-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
As boriscleto suggested, I've found that registering on line is primarily an invitation to at least weekly advertising delivered to your computer. I registered my Oly OMD 10 and within days I was being encouraged to get a better Oly camera, and more Oly lenses, and Oly flashes, and extra Oly batteries, and Oly cases, and Oly T-shirts, and.... As with charitable organizations that use SnailMail, once their computer has your EMAIL or home address, you're in for life and then some. Not responding goes unnoticed - computers don't get bored or frustrated.
Mm, I thought it was illegal not to include an option to unsubscribe to newsletters in US. At least I don't remember anything other than real spam not having an option to opt out
01-18-2018, 04:47 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by awscreo Quote
Mm, I thought it was illegal not to include an option to unsubscribe to newsletters in US. At least I don't remember anything other than real spam not having an option to opt out
A justified criticism of my post. It is generally possible to eliminate "ROBO-EMAIL" by clicking on the "unsubscribe" option. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for snailmail. Last week I received an invitation addressed to my mother to have a tour of an assisted living facility, and about a year back another letter addressed to her for a hearing aid. She died in 1996. I snickered at the notion of "assisted living." Innovative company.
01-18-2018, 06:46 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
A justified criticism of my post. It is generally possible to eliminate "ROBO-EMAIL" by clicking on the "unsubscribe" option. Unfortunately, it doesn't work for snailmail. Last week I received an invitation addressed to my mother to have a tour of an assisted living facility, and about a year back another letter addressed to her for a hearing aid. She died in 1996. I snickered at the notion of "assisted living." Innovative company.
I see, maybe I just haven't encountered it myself yet.