Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #1

Nikon D90 AF adapter

Hey there everyone. I am new here, and only recently got into photography. I was fortunate enough to pick a Nikon D90, an 18-105 mm, and a 35 mm in October. Since then I have been on a legs hunt.
Today I found a vivitar 28-210 mm macro. Naturally I was excited and tried it out on the body. It fit and works nicely. But it doesn't have the golden ball receptors that commute with the camera.
I am curious if there is an adapter out there that will solve this little issue? If not, whatever. But I am hopeful that there is.
All the best
Z

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Phone  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
QCAM-AA  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
QCAM-AA  Photo 
01-15-2018, 02:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Well first, welcome to the forum.

No, there is no adapter that will allow the lens to talk to the camera. What you have is a fully manual lens that has a mount for Nikon cameras. The lens will not auto focus nor will you be able to set the F-stop with the wheels on the camera body. Focusing and setting an F-stop will need to be done by you. Now here is the catch. I don't know if a full manual lens can be used on a Nikon body.

My father had a D90 but I never messed around with it enough to know if a manual lens could be used on it. If you didn't get an owners manual, go to Nikon and download one or get a book about the camera and how to use. Both the owners manual and the book should tell how to use a manual lens or if it is possible to use a manual lens.
01-15-2018, 02:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Not be be nasty and congrats on your new equipment but you did get that this is a Pentax forum, right?
01-15-2018, 02:49 PM - 1 Like   #4

Original Poster
Aight, thanks bigdave. It's always nice to get a easy answer real quick.
Nothing nasty at all, Mikey. I noticed it was a Pentax place, but had a feeling that someone here would have a quick response for me.

01-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigdavephoto Quote
Now here is the catch. I don't know if a full manual lens can be used on a Nikon body.
It depends on the body. There is a compatibility matrix in the user guide, downloadable from:

Nikon | Download center | D90

The quick take is that the D90 has broad support for all AF and CPU Nikkor lenses and more limited support for non-CPU AI/AI-converted glass. Non-AI lenses are not supported. AI non-CPU lenses are limited to M mode with manual focus. I did not spend enough time with the user guide to determine if stop-down metering is an option, though focus confirmation (e.g. electronic rangefinder) is supported.

Sounds like a great camera

QuoteOriginally posted by Capt. Kicks Quote
I noticed it was a Pentax place, but had a feeling that someone here would have a quick response for me.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! Were we quick enough?

Steve
01-15-2018, 03:30 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Capt. Kicks Quote
...but had a feeling that someone here would have a quick response for me.
And you were absolutely right! Welcome anyway and we may still turn you to the dark side yet!
01-15-2018, 03:31 PM   #7
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forum. You are right - you can get a quick response on just about anything here. But you could always get some old Takumar manual lenses to use on that body. Then you would be truly Pentax.

01-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
AI/AI-converted glass
...and here is the link to the Nikon guide to lens types...

https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/ni/NI_article?articleNo=000001497&configured=1&lang=en_US

From the photo you supplied, I believe your lens is AI (AIs to be precise) and should mount and work nicely, though with limitations.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 01-15-2018 at 03:44 PM.
01-15-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
But you could always get some old Takumar manual lenses to use on that body. Then you would be truly Pentax.
Nah...won't work very well

The flange focal distances between Nikon and Pentax M42 is are too similar to support a glassless adapter.

Steve
01-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

You have come across the limitations with this lens and body combination. IMHO it is highly unlikely that you will find any workaround to gain full CPU capability. I think the D90 brother the D300 offered better compatibility with non CPU lenses

You may find that a guesstimate of exposure coupled with the histogram is enough to be workable.

D90 lens compatibility:
Attached Images

01-16-2018, 09:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

While no-one expects anything but manual focus with an old manual lens on any Nikon, the problem with the D90 and similar models (D80, D70, D100 etc.) is that the camera has no Ai lug so the camera knows where the aperture ring is set.

This, of course, is the exact same thing Pentax did with the majority of their digital bodies, ie: the "crippled" KAF mount. Pentax's solution is the Green button, that quickly gives a stop down meter reading when pressed so the meter can figure out whether the lens is wide open or how far stopped down.

Nikon has no Green button, and old manual lenses on such bodies offer no metering whatsoever. You can figure out exposure with an external light meter, or just take your best guess, take a photo, and figure out how much to adjust the shutter, aperture, or ISO - your choice.

If you plan on doing a lot of shooting with old manual lenses on a Nikon, better spend a bit more and get a body with an Ai lug. Oddly enough, the D90's successor, the D7000 gained the Ai lug. The later D7100 and D7200 had it too. But the newest in the line, the D7500, has seen the lug disappear again.