Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Single autofocus point?

Hello,
I have searched youtube, here, and google with no luck. I want to check the calibration on my lenses, and want to use single autofocus point. Being new to Pentax, I don't know the menu very well, but learning. Would you please tell me how to set a single autofocus point in the middle of the viewfinder? Thank you very much.
Terry

01-17-2018, 08:57 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Which model are you using?
01-17-2018, 09:07 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Assuming you're using your K-1, there's a button on the left of the lens mount labeled AF mode - kep that depressed and scroll through the options on the rear input wheel
01-17-2018, 09:10 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Same on the K-3II (and I assume K-3).

01-17-2018, 09:13 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
I have searched youtube, here, and google with no luck. I want to check the calibration on my lenses, and want to use single autofocus point. Being new to Pentax, I don't know the menu very well, but learning. Would you please tell me how to set a single autofocus point in the middle of the viewfinder? Thank you very much.
Terry
On the K-1 and K-3, press and hold the AF mode button, then turn the e-dial until you get the center point. On the K-5, there is a physical switch on the back of the camera. On most other recent models, you can change the setting through the menu (you can also do this on the K-3 and K-1 if you prefer).

To change the point via the menu on the K-1, look under "PDAF Options and Modes" here:

Pentax K-1 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Regarding AF calibration, here's our guide:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/lens-align-front-back-focus/introduction.html

I would not recommend doing this unless you are observing consistent AF issues in your photos, however. Most of the time things just work well enough out of the box.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Hello,
Terry
  1. Open the operating manual for your camera (either the hard copy or the PDF)
  2. Find the table of contents.
  3. Find "Index" in the table of contents.
  4. Turn to the first page of the Index.
  5. Look under "A" for Autofocus.
  6. Click on, or turn to, the the page number given next to "Autofocus".

Using this method I quickly found the relevant info in the following four operating manuals:

K-1 manual, p. 52.

K-3 manual, p. 44.

K-5 manual, p. 127.

K10D manual, p. 132.
01-17-2018, 10:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
Which model are you using?
I have the wonderful K-1. First Pentax camera, and I'm hooked.
Terry

---------- Post added 01-17-18 at 10:35 AM ----------

Perfect! That's all the information I need. You guys are so helpful.
Terry

01-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
if you haven't done this, it might be helpful to review the " In Depth Review " of the K 1

Pentax K-1 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

here is the owner's manual, in case you don't have one:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-1.pdf
01-17-2018, 12:07 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
On the K-1 and K-3, press and hold the AF mode button, then turn the e-dial until you get the center point. On the K-5, there is a physical switch on the back of the camera. On most other recent models, you can change the setting through the menu (you can also do this on the K-3 and K-1 if you prefer).

To change the point via the menu on the K-1, look under "PDAF Options and Modes" here:

Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - In-Depth Articles

I would not recommend doing this unless you are observing consistent AF issues in your photos, however. Most of the time things just work well enough out of the box.
Yes, I was hoping that I didn't need to. I'm all set up to do the test, as soon as get spot autofocus set. I'll at least see how it goes.
Terry

---------- Post added 01-17-18 at 12:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ffking Quote
Assuming you're using your K-1, there's a button on the left of the lens mount labeled AF mode - kep that depressed and scroll through the options on the rear input wheel
Perfect. Thank you.
Terry
01-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Well, I have it all done. I took 9 shots, and I will have to go back and review them to tell a difference. The test was done the proper way. I'm not sure what is considered normal, or acceptable. My 24-70 shows a very marginal change, sometime none.
Terry
01-17-2018, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, I would say that my 24-70 came out of the box, ready to use. There really isn't any calibration need. I hope my 15-30 goes that well. Thanks for you help, today.
Terry
01-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster

Adam,
I did check both lenses for autofocus issues. Pentax nailed it, on both lenses. As you said, both were good to go right out of the box! A fellow member taught me how to do the test, properly.
Terry