Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2018, 05:09 PM   #1

Pentax K1000 Diopter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi pentaxforums!

Total noob here -- I just recently bought a Pentax K1000, but I can't stand taking pictures with my glasses on. I've read about diopters, and I have two questions.

1. The diopter value of my dominant eye (based on my current prescription) is -2.25. Do I round this to -2 or -2.5 when deciding what diopter to get?

2. Does anyone know what type of diopter would be compatible with the K1000 viewfinder, and where I can get one?

Thanks!

Matt

01-17-2018, 05:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
These threads have some background info on the diopter itself:

K1000 Viewfinder Diopter - PentaxForums.com
K1000 Diopter? - PentaxForums.com

This one should fit, I believe:

ASAHI PENTAX SMC CORRECTION LENS ADAPTER -3 | eBay

-3 may be a bit of a stretch, but I'd probably round up to 2.5.

There was also an interesting DIY solution shared above- trimming the glass in a pair of cheap glasses and essentially gluing it inside the viewfinder.

You may also be able to find a generic clip-on diopter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-17-2018, 05:24 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

There was also an interesting DIY solution shared above- trimming the glass in a pair of cheap glasses and essentially gluing it inside the viewfinder.

Thanks Adam -- yeah, I checked those threads out, and I saw the thread about the DIY solution. I unfortunately don't have a cheap pair of glasses with my prescription (nor do I really know how to cut the glass), and I feel like it would be pretty pricey to get a custom lens cut with my prescription.
01-17-2018, 05:57 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote

Also, if I can't find a -2.5 -- should I just use a -2? Would this suffice?

Thanks,

Matt

01-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mcbeer Quote
Hi pentaxforums!

2. Does anyone know what type of diopter would be compatible with the K1000 viewfinder, and where I can get one?

Thanks!

Matt
Try ones made for the Nikon EM/FG They're plentiful on ebay. Detailed in this thread : +2 Diopter for K1000 - PentaxForums.com
01-17-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 17dew Quote
Try ones made for the Nikon EM/FG They're plentiful on ebay. Detailed in this thread : +2 Diopter for K1000 - PentaxForums.com
Yeah, I was looking into these, 17dew. However, I don't see any for -2.5. Would -2 suffice, or should I go to -3? My actual diopter (based off my prescription) is -2.25 for my right eye (the eye I use to look through the viewfinder).
01-17-2018, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yeah, I was looking into these, 17dew. However, I don't see any for -2.5. Would -2 suffice, or should I go to -3? My actual diopter (based off my prescription) is -2.25 for my right eye (the eye I use to look through the viewfinder).
If shopping for the Nikon diopters, it should be noted that the base diopter for the viewfinder is -1 and that the eyepiece correction lenses are labeled in reference to the base. This is counter to the rest of the industry. For example, my prescription is +1.5. The Nikon correction lens for me is +0.5. (Yes, I have a +1.5 in my misc stuff box as a reminder of what does not work.)

For you, it would be -3.5 since a slight negative is easier to compensate for than a slight positive.

Steve

01-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Matt,

Duhhh! I was getting your need for "-" correction confused with my need for "+" correcton! Never mind... It looks like it would be best to order a proper diopter if you are going to use the K1000 very much.

-Joe-

Wal-Mart has cheap reading glasses, +2.25, for around $5. I suggest that you take your camera in with you and hold up one of these to the eyepiece to see if +2.25 will make it clear. If so, maybe you can cut an insert by hand using a fine-toothed hack saw. That was going to be my next attempt at cutting a piece for my K1000, as I detailed in the thread Adam linked. Even if you don't buy some of those cheap glasses, you could test different diopter factors to see which will work for you (2.0 or 2.5) before you order a diopter.

-Joe-

Thanks Adam -- yeah, I checked those threads out, and I saw the thread about the DIY solution. I unfortunately don't have a cheap pair of glasses with my prescription (nor do I really know how to cut the glass), and I feel like it would be pretty pricey to get a custom lens cut with my prescription.

Last edited by k0og; 01-18-2018 at 08:58 AM.
01-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Yeah, I was looking into these, 17dew. However, I don't see any for -2.5. Would -2 suffice, or should I go to -3? .
Not sure which will work for you,but I have an original -3 for the K1000 if you decide that's what you need.
01-20-2018, 11:27 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If shopping for the Nikon diopters, it should be noted that the base diopter for the viewfinder is -1 and that the eyepiece correction lenses are labeled in reference to the base. This is counter to the rest of the industry. For example, my prescription is +1.5. The Nikon correction lens for me is +0.5. (Yes, I have a +1.5 in my misc stuff box as a reminder of what does not work.)

For you, it would be -3.5 since a slight negative is easier to compensate for than a slight positive.

Steve
Do you know if this is also the case for the Pentax corrective lenses? I was told that the base for the Pentax viewfinder is -1, so if I got a -2 corrective lens from Pentax, it would ultimately be a -3 diopter when using the corrective lens. I'm just getting so confused, lol.
01-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Do you know if this is also the case for the Pentax corrective lenses?
I have both Pentax and Nikon correction lenses. With Pentax,* use the number from your prescription. If you get a Pentax labeled -2, the ultimate diopter will be -2.

Steve

* It my understanding that Nikon is the only maker that labels its correction lenses in the manner they do.