Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #1

K lenses mounted to screw in body

Hello Forum
I am new here.
I have purchased a Pentax bellows with M42 screw mounts.
I have fitted the adaptor on by K3 and attached the bellows to that.
Is it possible to fit a K lens to the other end of the bellows i.e is there an adaptor which allows new lenses to be mounted to old screw in bodies?
Or should I look for a screw in lens?

I would ideally like to mount my 100mm prime macro to the bellows.

Thanks all.

01-21-2018, 01:10 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, the K lens mount is simply too big. But if you got the K-mount bellows, you could adapt all M42 lenses to it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Davidi Quote
Hello Forum
I am new here.
I have purchased a Pentax bellows with M42 screw mounts.
I have fitted the adaptor on by K3 and attached the bellows to that.
Is it possible to fit a K lens to the other end of the bellows i.e is there an adaptor which allows new lenses to be mounted to old screw in bodies?

I would ideally like to mount my 100mm prime macro to the bellows.

Thanks all.
No adapter off the shelf - but you do have options.

Option 1 - Genuine Pentax
Get the original Bellows Takumar 100 which was designed to be used with the bellows. The Bellows 100 will even focus right through to infinity on the bellows.

Option 2 - genuine Pentax components
Purchase a set of Auto Bellows K / Auto Bellows M. This gives you much versatility. The camera mounts & front lens standards can be interchanged with each other. This will give you M42 camera - K lens or K camera with M42 lens. It also gives you the possibility with a bit more fiddling with components to make a set of 'super bellows' by using the 2 bellows joined end on end without any destructive modification. Just be wary of the late auto Bellows A as they used a fractionally smaller focus rail which is not compatible.

Option 3 - Non Pentax components.
Modify the mount on a extension tube. The easiest is to start with a K mount tube & replace the camera side mount with M42. Many of the off brand / after market extension tubes have the mounts fixed by screws. If you are lucky enough to find a manufacturer that produces both M42 & K Mount variants it is just a simple matter of doing a mount change with a few screws. Many of the cheap Chinese tubes available now work well for this. I have used Soligor tubes for my adapters.

Option 4 - Genuine Pentax components
Pentax had a adapter for the ring flash to allow it to be used on reverse mounted lenses called Reverse Ring Light adapter K. It can be used (reversed to the way it was designed) as a base to mount a M42 adapter to the other side. However this is not really a option due to the scarcity of them nowadays.

Last edited by Tool_Horder; 01-21-2018 at 04:31 PM.
01-21-2018, 03:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I went round and round with this same thing a while back.

I finally ended up with a k mount bellows. Just make sure it comes with the camera mount, too...

And the 100 bellows macro is pretty cool, though of limited utility...

-Eric

01-21-2018, 05:37 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K does not fit into m42 because K has much larger diameter. This is the reason why it works so well the other way around, from K to m42.
At this point, your best bet is to buy a good m42 lens. One with good central sharpness and low price is the Helios 44-2 or newer (whatever version of this you can find; most are m42, but some are other mount so be careful). Affordable lens, sharp centre once stopped down, and you can use it as a portrait or artsy bokeh lens as well.
Or look for other m42 primes, many around 35mm and 50mm are quite affordable. More affordable than trying to find or make that adapter you want
01-21-2018, 07:14 PM   #6

There is no off the shelf adapter but this company will fabricate a custom one for you for $201 USD. It will add a minimum of 18mm extension to your bellows. You may get some vignetting depending on the lens and amount of bellows extension due to the smaller opening for screw-mount lenses.

PreciseParts Build-An-Adapter

You would be better off buying a set of K-mount auto bellows for that price.

Last edited by Not a Number; 01-22-2018 at 04:01 AM.
01-22-2018, 01:37 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You might look at the screw mount macro lenses in the lens database. Here are a couple. They should give a fairly flat field. Plus, with the Pentax M42 adapter, you can use it with your K-mount body. The 100mm F4 Macro is 0.5x magnification. The 50mm F4 has two flavors, 0.5x and 1.0x. The 1.0x is harder to find, and a bit more expensive. Since you already have a 100mm macro, perhaps a 50mm macro with the adapter might fit the ticket. That said, I find that my A 50mm macro rarely sees daylight since I got a 100mm macro.

Both the lenses below have good reviews, and either should serve you well, depending on your specific needs, both on the bellows and on your camera body.

Super-Multi-Coated Macro-Takumar 100mm F4 Macro

S-M-C/Super Macro-Takumar 50mm F4

01-22-2018, 10:54 AM   #8

Original Poster
Managed it.
An old K teleconverter lenses removed from it.
Genuine Pentax M42 to K adaptor (selling for 18.00 on amazon).
Bellows onto the adaptor.
Penatacon 1.8/50 onto the other end.
The Pentacon will do until I get something better.
Thanks all.