Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Blurry DNG files in Lightroom

Hi,

Today I've noticed that in the lightroom DNG files look blurry compared to any other DNG processor software. It even exports blurred photos to any extension. I've compared the original DNG file with lightroom exported DNG file and difference is like if you add lens distortion correction to it, but nothing is applied there. Any ideas folks?

01-22-2018, 01:26 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It may be just the preview of the DNG files. I know that in Adobe Bridge, when you preview any DNG files, they look very soft, low saturation, low contrast. The actual DNG is not like that and I think itʻs a function of allowing faster previewing of large files. Applesʻ now defunct Aperture was superb for fast and accurate RAW previewing.

Iʻm not 100% certain what ails BR also affects LR, but thatʻs my guess.
01-22-2018, 02:20 AM   #3
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
It may be just the preview of the DNG files. I know that in Adobe Bridge, when you preview any DNG files, they look very soft, low saturation, low contrast. The actual DNG is not like that and I think itʻs a function of allowing faster previewing of large files. Applesʻ now defunct Aperture was superb for fast and accurate RAW previewing.

Iʻm not 100% certain what ails BR also affects LR, but thatʻs my guess.
Why I don't think it's a preview is because it also blurs exported files. I was thinking same and reimported original file with 1:1 preview but it's same
01-22-2018, 03:01 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do you have any import presets active in the 'Apply During Import' section of the import screen?

01-22-2018, 03:26 AM   #5
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
Do you have any import presets active in the 'Apply During Import' section of the import screen?
no, nothing at all, everything is turned off
01-22-2018, 05:50 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Raw software has some "default" actions that it applies. It is possible that other software applies more sharpening, etc. than Lightroom does. SilkyPix might apply the same PP to the raw as was set in-camera, which should look much nicer than the raw alone
Its also possible you need to update Camera raw and update the Process (LR, touch photo, Develop, bottom tab). Keeping software at latest update is a good idea in general
And remember, raw does not look good. It is too grey, too soft, too noisy. You have to develop raw to make it look as good as an in-camera jpeg. But once you learn this, you can make it look even better than that jpeg

I find LR to be quite good with Pentax files. Its sharpening algorithms are not as aggressive as some other software, though
01-22-2018, 06:04 AM   #7
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Raw software has some "default" actions that it applies. It is possible that other software applies more sharpening, etc. than Lightroom does. SilkyPix might apply the same PP to the raw as was set in-camera, which should look much nicer than the raw alone
Its also possible you need to update Camera raw and update the Process (LR, touch photo, Develop, bottom tab). Keeping software at latest update is a good idea in general
And remember, raw does not look good. It is too grey, too soft, too noisy. You have to develop raw to make it look as good as an in-camera jpeg. But once you learn this, you can make it look even better than that jpeg

I find LR to be quite good with Pentax files. Its sharpening algorithms are not as aggressive as some other software, though
I was thinking same before I've tried Digital Camera Utility along with Acdsee, both are showing DNG files just perfectly! Also, lightroom is up to date and there is Camera Raw 7 and later compatibility set.

01-22-2018, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I agree with Na Horuk raw software vendors can apply a default value to sharpening that may be more or less than another vendor. Adobe sharpening tends to be conservative vs others as is usually the case with their standard camera profile.

I cannot speak from recent personal experience of Acdsee or DCU but would be surprised if they are not just applying more as their default modes and by applying a little more Amount with LR/ACR that you would not be able to match
01-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #9
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I agree with Na Horuk raw software vendors can apply a default value to sharpening that may be more or less than another vendor. Adobe sharpening tends to be conservative vs others as is usually the case with their standard camera profile.

I cannot speak from recent personal experience of Acdsee or DCU but would be surprised if they are not just applying more as their default modes and by applying a little more Amount with LR/ACR that you would not be able to match
Guys what are you talking about, I've opened not only one file but many DNG files strait from the camera in Photoshop, Bridge, Acdsee, DCU and the sharpness is 100% same except in Lightroom. You are saying that except of Lightroom, all other DNG processing software is trying to give me a sharp image with absolutely same sharpening settings and algorithms? If the photo is new Lightroom first loads it correctly and then applies this blur and weird saturation color just in a second or two, I can see good one but then it applies something, maybe it's a color profile thing I don't know. Updated one version of Lightroom, installed another version, same there.
01-22-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lev Quote
Hi,

Today I've noticed that in the lightroom DNG files look blurry compared to any other DNG processor software. It even exports blurred photos to any extension. I've compared the original DNG file with lightroom exported DNG file and difference is like if you add lens distortion correction to it, but nothing is applied there. Any ideas folks?
Just a thought. Where do you import your DNG files to when you first get them off your SD card ?

If you import them (as i do) to a separate hard drive, then that hard drive must be connected to your pc when you later want to process those DNG files. If you do not connect the source files to Lightroom then they can appear blurry.

I work with lightroom now and do not have the issue you are experiencing.
01-22-2018, 02:54 PM   #11
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm.. now I've compared my old photos with Acdsee and Lightroom - they are same... very strange thing is happening here :/

---------- Post added 01-22-18 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Just a thought. Where do you import your DNG files to when you first get them off your SD card ?

If you import them (as i do) to a separate hard drive, then that hard drive must be connected to your pc when you later want to process those DNG files. If you do not connect the source files to Lightroom then they can appear blurry.

I work with lightroom now and do not have the issue you are experiencing.

thanks

yes I know that, sometimes I forget to connect it and the result are the way you describe but not it's not the case. Something really strange is happening here. Took some pics yesterday with my new 50-135, just imported them into lightroom, directly from SD card, doing this way every time and no prob, but now I just have no idea what is wrong. Checking them with other software I mentioned - no problem with sharpness, but the weirdest thing is that when I'm comparing photos that I took earlier, they seem pretty ok....
01-22-2018, 03:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

...I've opened not only one file but many DNG files strait from the camera in Photoshop, Bridge, Acdsee, DCU and the sharpness is 100% same except in Lightroom.
....You are saying that except of Lightroom, all other DNG processing software is trying to give me a sharp image with absolutely same sharpening settings and algorithms?
...If the photo is new Lightroom first loads it correctly and then applies this blur and weird saturation color.....
Would have been helpful to post this in first post.
Photoshop ACR are the same raw engine so as you are seeing a difference some LR setting may be incorrect.

I don’t think we are saying that all raw processing software is trying to give sharper images. Just the fact that they all apply defaults that differ and you should realise that all use their own proprietary algorithms to do a similar job.

A big clue here is that PS appears to be sharp and LR not. As they are the same raw engine then they should be exactly the same image processing parameters. So after you have processed an image in Photoshop Adobe Camera Raw and opened the image, that DNG should appear exactly the same when now opened in LR as all the edit instructions should be applied
01-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #13
Lev
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, I got something! Looks like my Lightroom's Details pan has no effect whether it is turned on or off. I mean, when you set something there and then turn it off (Details pan entirely), that setting still affecting image. So I've turned that on, then moved noise reduction to zero, sharpness setting to default and then it appears slightly similar to others now, but still not as good as in PS for example. I wonder why I'm facing this problem now after taking tons of pictures already.
01-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TonyW Quote
I don’t think we are saying that all raw processing software is trying to give sharper images. Just the fact that they all apply defaults that differ and you should realise that all use their own proprietary algorithms to do a similar job.
Exactly! Different demosaicing, processing, different WB styles, different NR algorithms and strength, different sharpening algorithms and strength, different camera colour profiles, colour interpretation, etc. etc. It is not only "more" or "less", but it is "different". For example, Topaz suite has great NR. NikEffects has good sharpening. RawTherapee has some really interesting features, but poor NR and can easily be oversharpened. LR is sort of in the middle. It does everything fairly well and its almost difficult to do things terribly wrong, but LR is not "the best" at any single feature imo. It still wins, because it has everything and its easy, fast.

Secondly, I think your problem, OP, might have to do with Lightroom, specifically. Lightroom has photo thumbnails that it shows for preview. These are not high quality. Then when you load the image, or zoom in, it usually quickly switches to the actual image, which should show you the raw data with the PP that was applied. Maybe this process is not working correctly and you get stuck with the preview? Could it be CPU or Ram or HD space? This is why I recommended updating Lightroom, because getting the latest version can fix some hiccups. If there even is a LR update for your version
I really don't know what could be the problem. Maybe if you post some screenshots? I have been using LR3 and LR6 with no such problems.
Maybe try searching online for Adobe and Lightroom help. There are many forums for those and someone probably encountered similar issues before
01-22-2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

ok, I got something! Looks like my Lightroom's Details pan has no effect whether it is turned on or off. I mean, when you set something there and then turn it off (Details pan entirely), that setting still affecting image. So I've turned that on, then moved noise reduction to zero, sharpness setting to default and then it appears slightly similar to others now, but still not as good as in PS for example. I wonder why I'm facing this problem now after taking tons of pictures already.
Something weird happening in Adobe products can often be cured by resetting preferences. You might want to consider using this option to see if it helps

Something Acting Weird? Try Resetting Lightroom CC's Preferences - Lightroom Killer Tips