Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 12:40 PM   #1

Memory card not formatting on my K-3 ii

I've got a very beginner's problem.

I finally picked up and started learning about my new K-3 ii after being intimidated by it for many many many months. It is a bit more complicated than my beloved Pentax MX. I am stuck at formatting the Memory Card, which is a Pentax 16GB FLUCARD PRO that came with the camera. The "Memory" command on Menu" #4 does not turn on. The camera is not registering that the memory card is inserted into the camera. Neither slot works. Instead the "Memory" command is colored grey, not white, like all of the other commands. When I turn on the camera the "Memory Card Access Lamp" flickers orange a few times then turns off. When the card is inserted into the 2nd slot, the lamp flashes once. When the card in the 1st slot, it flashes twice. When I turn on the camera the lamp just blinks quickly a few times. Do the flashes mean anything? How should the lamp work with a memory card inserted?

Guessing I have a bad memory card. Or maybe I destroyed it way back when. I read that one has to have the camera off when inserting the memory card. Maybe I inserted it with the camera on.

Also, is this a good memory card? It has a mixed review on Google. Did notice that it is expensive, $99. Is it normal that the card has wifi access to a computer? This seems special.

A lot of beginner questions. Appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

01-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I'm correctly informed, the flue card needs to go in the first slot. From a couple of years ago, I remember that some people had issues with it.

Yes, the flue card allows wifi access.

I would advise to by a decent normal card (32GB or more); can't advise which one would be needed; I'm a little out of it.
01-23-2018, 01:29 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Elizabeth Quote
I've got a very beginner's problem.

I finally picked up and started learning about my new K-3 ii after being intimidated by it for many many many months. It is a bit more complicated than my beloved Pentax MX. I am stuck at formatting the Memory Card, which is a Pentax 16GB FLUCARD PRO that came with the camera. The "Memory" command on Menu" #4 does not turn on. The camera is not registering that the memory card is inserted into the camera. Neither slot works. Instead the "Memory" command is colored grey, not white, like all of the other commands. When I turn on the camera the "Memory Card Access Lamp" flickers orange a few times then turns off. When the card is inserted into the 2nd slot, the lamp flashes once. When the card in the 1st slot, it flashes twice. When I turn on the camera the lamp just blinks quickly a few times. Do the flashes mean anything? How should the lamp work with a memory card inserted?

Guessing I have a bad memory card. Or maybe I destroyed it way back when. I read that one has to have the camera off when inserting the memory card. Maybe I inserted it with the camera on.

Also, is this a good memory card? It has a mixed review on Google. Did notice that it is expensive, $99. Is it normal that the card has wifi access to a computer? This seems special.

A lot of beginner questions. Appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.
Hi, Elizabeth. First, the FLUCARD is designed to provide WiFi access between the camera and a WiFi network or computer, so in that respect it's working normally. It should always be placed in SD card slot 2, according to the K-3ii manual. Non-FLUCARD SD cards can go in either or both slots. In order to format the card, you need to select submenu 4 of the menu with the wrench at the top. The second item from the bottom controls the formatting process. The light on the camera should flicker when a SD card is inserted or removed and, as you said, the camera should be off when you do so in order to avoid corrupting the data on the card.The "Memory" command on Menu #4 of the main menu, which you refer to, controls what camera settings are maintained in the camera's memory when the camera is turned off, and basically has nothing to do with the SD card. Hope this helps.

Last edited by subsea; 01-23-2018 at 01:45 PM.
01-23-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Ok, I don't have a K3-II nor a flu-card. I will try to answer some of your questions.

To format your card, you do not use menu #4. That is part of the record mode and is for determining which setting to save when turning the camera off.The setting you need is in set up menu (the one with the wrench) #4 Format. That will format your card.

As for the orange light flashing, that is normal when a memory card is inserted. Now for the number of flashes, I do not.know if the number of flashes mean anything. a K3II owner will need to answer that question. Being that you are using a Flucard, the Flucard might need to be set up before use. Again, I am not 100 % sure.

Yes, when putting in or removing the card, the camera needs to be turned off.

Yes, the flucard is special and it is what you are thinking. A flucard is used to connect to a computer with out using cables. I think you can also use the flucard to work your camera, if you have the right one. Set up menu #3 is for setting up the flucard. also, refer to page #86 of the owners manual for the different settings.

A normal memory card does not connect to a computer until you put it in a card reader and then connect the reader to your computer.

01-23-2018, 03:59 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

That was quick! Thanks for the info. I was looking at the wrong menu! The wrench menu is the correct one (which IS listed in the manual- I just missed it). Now the Flu card is formatted. Now I have to connect the FLU card to my Mac.
01-23-2018, 04:48 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

That was quick! Thanks for the info. I was looking at the wrong menu! The wrench menu is the correct one (which IS listed in the manual- I just missed it). Now the Flu card is formatted. Now I have to connect the FLU card to my Mac.
Well done

Just a word of advice - don't get too hung up on the connectivity for now. The Flu Card is useful if you want to do tethered shooting from a phone or computer with a web browser, but for normal photography you just need an SDHC card. The Flu Card can act as this, but I think you may be better off using a regular card for normal shooting. Any old SD card will work, though the higher speed versions will provide better performance in a number of different circumstances
01-23-2018, 06:25 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keep the flu card in slot 2 and buy another card for slot one. Set the camera to save raw(.dng) to slot one and jpeg to slot 2. Transferring raw files over wi-fi takes a long time due to their size. I use Sandisk extreme III cards for their speed and reliability. Do not use micro sd cards as reliability is diminished.

01-27-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I finally picked up and started learning about my new K-3 ii after being intimidated by it for many many many months. It is a bit more complicated than my beloved Pentax MX.

Coming from an MX, a flagship DSLR may seem daunting, but your K-3 II will be an excellent photography tool and, once you've got the knack for it, a pleasure to use. The more you shoot it, the more fun it'll be.

To get it ready for shooting, it may help to apply some recommended settings, as were collected here for its predecessor, the K-3:

Pentax K-3 Review - Recommended Settings | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Some advice on memory cards can be found here:

memory cards - Site Search - PentaxForums.com

Have fun exploring, Elizabeth!