Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-23-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No lens info 55-300 PLM

I recently purchased a new 55-300 PLM. The issue I'm having is: While using Photos on my Macbook Pro and clicking on "Get Info" I get a "No lens information". I still get ISO, focal length, ev, aperture and shutter speed, along with camera model file size etc. and everything that is normally there. Just no lens name. No issues with any other Pentax lenses, just this one. My question is could it just be that the program is not recognizing because it is a newer model lens? Or is there a potential problem in the lens not communicating properly? Still have time to send the lens back but I really don't want to because I am really happy with the performance in all other aspects. At present I don't have any other photo editing programs. Anyone else experiencing this? Did the firmware upgrade on K-3, could there be a glitch with that? Thanks in advance for any thoughts or suggestions.

Last edited by PKMike; 01-23-2018 at 05:08 PM.
01-23-2018, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens name is not supplied by the lens but rather by the software. The lens will supply an ID code that must be read by the software and used to look up the entry in it's database. I suspect your software has not been updated to include the new 55-300 PLM yet.

To test that try some other software such as Irfanview or Faststone, both are free.
01-23-2018, 05:22 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Lens name is not supplied by the lens but rather by the software. The lens will supply an ID code that must be read by the software and used to look up the entry in it's database. I suspect your software has not been updated to include the new 55-300 PLM yet.

To test that try some other software such as Irfanview or Faststone, both are free.
That’s exactly the problem. What version MacOS are you running? If you’ve got High Sierra and you’re not seeing the lens name, then Apple hasn’t added it to Photos, yet. I think, however, that it was actually added in one of the Sierra updates. I’m not sure which it is because I use LightRoom and ON1 on my Mac and haven’t looked at Photos recently. I’d recommend updating your OS version.

Edit: OK, I checked Sierra (updated to the latest), which I'm currently running, and it's not there. If Apple has added that lens to Photos, it must have been done in High Sierra and you'll need to update to that version in order to get it. Since I'm not running High Sierra, yet, I can't tell if it's there, and there doesn't seem to be a support document that lists all of the lenses included.

Last edited by subsea; 01-24-2018 at 10:13 AM.
01-24-2018, 03:46 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Must say I'm rather surprised that Apple would ever 'recognise' 3rd party hardware ;-)

01-25-2018, 05:43 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. So last night I downloaded the latest version of High Sierra, took pic with the lens, loaded it and it is still not there. Not really a big deal. I plan to find some software soon. I had Elements 8 a while back but really disliked it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
01-25-2018, 06:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You need to define what you want the 'software' to do. There is an enormous range of different capabilities. Are you just looking for basic adjustments? RAW processing? Digital asset management?

No one can recommend anything unless we know what features you want / need.

I am a huge fan of Lightroom and use the Classic CC package at $10 per month. For my workflow it is worth it. But not everyone needs that, and there are many alternatives and other programs with different capabilities.