Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #16
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
You'd do better than that if you sold in the marketplace here.

But a good prime will offer a lot too. Your next question should be "which one?" :-)
If I sell the K-S2 it will be in the market place, but I really like it. Which prime do you recommend? I like macro shots, maybe a 35mm, but around 80mm would be nice also. Thanks for the input.

01-27-2018, 07:41 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brjs Quote
If I sell the K-S2 it will be in the market place, but I really like it. Which prime do you recommend? I like macro shots, maybe a 35mm, but around 80mm would be nice also. Thanks for the input.
If you want great macro there's only one logical choice.

DFA100WR
01-27-2018, 08:54 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I do love my DFA 100mm WR macro. It is a FF design, which is compatible with the K-1 as well. The WR comes in handy for macro shots in drippy conditions, which often does present some opportunities for beautiful results. Also, the longer FL allows more distance to help avoid disturbing small critter subjects. It has a very nice design and build quality, its appearance reminiscent of a Limited lens.
01-27-2018, 10:04 PM - 1 Like   #19
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
For true macro (that is, the ability to capture images at 1:1), there are three options in the current Pentax lineup: DA 35mm f2.8 Limited, DFA 50mm f2.8 and DFA 100mm f2.8. Previous generations of 50 and 100mm macros (e.g. manual focus lenses in the A-series and autofocus lenses in the FA series) are also available used. Other options include the Tamron 90mm f2.8 and the Sigma 105mm f2.8. There are others too (including some rare ones), but these are the main ones.

It's been said that there are no bad macro lenses. They are renowned for their sharpness, often from edge to edge, and across a wide range of apertures. That makes them useful for many other things too, such as landscapes, flowers, pets, product shots, still life and plenty more. They aren't generally the best option for fast-moving subjects because they tend to have a long focus throw (to allow for more precise focusing). And of course there are times when you don't want the kind of flat field that they offer: the Pentax Limited lenses, for example, provide quite a different effect which allows for a more-or-less central subject to stand out, and which can create more of a kind of 3D effect.

To get 1:1 macro reproduction at different focal lengths requires a different working distance. For example with the DA 35 you need to be much closer to the subject to get 1:1 reproduction than you do with the DFA 100. That's why macro lenses in the 90-105mm range tend to be more popular than 35mm or 50mm macros as macros. If you would use 1:1 macro more often, I'd suggest a lens in the 90-105mm range.

The other side of the coin is that many people find the wider focal lengths more versatile for general use. If you think you would only use true 1:1 macro occasionally, you might give more weight to the greater versatility of a 35 macro. The DA 35 macro is a very highly-rated lens. The only thing I'd say is that there are other cheaper general use primes in the normal range (for APS-C), such as the DA 35mm f2.4 and the DA 40.

I agree with the other guys that the DFA 100mm f2.8 WR is the gold standard for a 1:1 macro lens in K-mount. It's just a wonderful lens. Compact, all-metal construction, excellent build quality, FF compatible, WR, and capable of producing breathtaking images. I just love mine. But if that is too expensive, really you can't go wrong with the Tamron, or the Sigma, or one of the previous Pentax 100mm macros.

Some samples with the DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR to whet your appetite. Note not only how sharp it is, and how rich the colours are, but also how pleasant the bokeh is.

Last edited by Des; 01-28-2018 at 02:19 PM.