Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
01-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K-S2 vs K70

I purchased a Pentax K-S2 last Sept. It's a great camera and I enjoy it after owning Canon, Sony and Nikon over the last 50 yrs.(Yes I'm that old). I've been reading about the Pentax K70 for the last few days and am very tempted to get one. After going through the comparison of the two cameras I like the larger grip, the more pixels and the higher resolution (my Sony a6000 was the same 6000 X 4000) and auto focus video of the K70. I'm wonder if anyone here has owned both or used both and what he/she thinks of the K70 compared to the K-S2? I'm trying to justify buying a K70. Is it a nice bump up? Thanks for the input.

01-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No firsthand experience here - I'm on a K-3 - but if you need more temptation, you should know that the upgrade would also get you pixelshift, 14-bit RAWs & bulb timer... Personally, if I were in the market for a body and had to choose between K-S2 and K-70, there would be no contest. That being said, if I were itching to upgrade from a K-S2, I'd probably go for a K-3 II instead. Just my $0.02.

Last edited by Doundounba; 01-24-2018 at 10:17 AM.
01-24-2018, 10:47 AM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You hit on the key points, but the main and most significant difference is image quality. Resolution and 14-bit raw aside, the K-70's next-gen sensor comfortably outperforms previous models (including the K-3) when it comes to noise/high-ISO shooting. For that reason, I think the K-70 is the best value currently in the Pentax lineup.

More details:
Pentax K-70 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-24-2018, 12:37 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

I have two K-S2's and a K-70. For me there's not a huge image quality difference in my day-to-day shots. The added pixels give me a bit more crop room which is appreciated, and the dynamic range seems improved as is the overall reduction in noise. The heavy-cropping pixel-peeper in me says thank you.

The K-S2 already handled low-light surprisingly well, but there's absolutely even better results with the K-70. That's been one of the biggest surprises for me. I've no qualms with 6400iso at the upper range. Overall too it just feels quicker. The menu structure is better, as is the grip (and very noticeably so), feeling much more secure with the heavier lenses. I have far fewer inadvertent 4-way rocker touches too, so I think the placement of it has been adjusted a bit. That's something that's irritated me on my KS.

So I think the K-70 is a very nice improvement on the sometimes underappreciated K-S2. It keeps most of the good stuff from the camera you have now, sprinkles a couple of flagship features on top (even some that the K3II doesn't have), yet manages to keep it simple and straightforward.

I had considered both the KP and K3II but now that I have the K-70 I don't feel I'm missing out on anything from those bodies. TBH there's really nothing I need that it lacks.

Just do it. It worth it. But keep your KS-2...

01-24-2018, 02:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, you don't know what you may be missing until you use one. I have the little K-S2, which I've had for nearly 3 years and still like it a lot. I already had the K-5IIs, in the same body style, battery, extra grip etc. as the K-3 and a fine performer. Then I got the KP. Quite a remarkable camera. I love its performance, portability, fine control set, design flexibility with its choosable grips and optional battery grip, its advanced features, etc. and its beauty- I got the silver model.

All that said, I still like my K-S2,especially when I need to go extra light and small. I bought it as kit with the newer compact-carrying kit lens, so I can actually put a very nice DSLR with a zoom lens into a jacket pocket! I like its selfie capability with the type of articulating screen it has. I use it a lot for casual shooting, and recently used it with my DA18-135mm lens and a flash for shooting a HS wrestling tournament hosted at a HS where my friend is coach. Using a card-reader, I could download my shots to the coach's computer, and that of the school newspaper, right after the event. A very capable little camera with fine IQ, WR, great VF, 2-dial control system with the full, exclusive Pentax Hyper System available (if you have not discovered that, please inquire!).

So if it were me, I would either add (not replace with) the KP, which has yet additional features, a superior control set, and a better build quality than the K-70, or I would wait to add the K-3 II replacement, which will definitely have a larger grip, a superior on-body control set, a far better build quality than the K-70, an additional top LCD screen, and of course, all of the latest advancements.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-24-2018 at 02:26 PM.
01-24-2018, 02:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by brjs Quote
After going through the comparison of the two cameras I like the larger grip, the more pixels and the higher resolution (my Sony a6000 was the same 6000 X 4000) and auto focus video of the K70.
The question is whether lack of any of those features (or the much improved high ISO performance) is causing you "pain" with your K-S2. If the "pain" is acute enough, it may well justify the cost of the upgrade.

Steve

(...famously shot with a K10D for seven years before an upgrade to a K-3 in 2014...)
01-24-2018, 03:17 PM - 1 Like   #7

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from K-S2 to K-70 for the numerous benefits it offers whilst retaining broadly the same neat form and first rate ergonomics. Of particular value was the distinctly lower noise levels than with the K-S2 which was immediately apparent. Other benefits are mentioned above, e.g. dynamic range, better grip, pixel shift, and higher resolution through increase in pixel count. I have kept my K-3ii, really like having gps for landscape, but now that I have the K-70 which does produce better images and have just bought a Pentax GPS unit, the K-3ii looks like it's going to have a far more laid back existence.

In short, I found the upgrade from K-S2 to K-70 significant and worth while. It was made easier by SRS over here in the UK, who offered an excellent part-exchange transaction.

01-24-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I faced the same decision myself. My first Pentax was the K-5 II, then the KS-2. I was wanting a little more dynamic range and noise reduction and was looking at the K-70 and KP. I settled for the KP and couldn't be happier with it. I still have the KS-2 but haven's used it acquiring the KP. In a week I will be taking one of the cameras on a trip to India and thinking more of the KS-2 because of the better fold out LCD screen. Anyway, if you get the K-70, keep both cameras if you can.
01-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
K-s2/k70

Thank you everyone for your input, suggestions and ideas. When I look at the K70 I will find out what they will offer for a trade in on the K-S2. That will probably decide the final outcome of keeping the K-S2. I really do enjoy the K-S2 and I've sold the Sony and Canon cameras I had. The anticipation is wonderful!!
01-25-2018, 12:53 AM   #10

Like mikesbike already mentioned here, perhaps it isn't even such a bad idea to wait a bit longer to see if a k-3 II replacement is finally coming this year.

Normally waiting for a new unannounced successor is ill-adviced, but if it comes this year, and damn it should , then you will really get a significant upgrade on just about any level.
01-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If the investment is large enough it might be worthwhile to consider renting either camera for a week. I rented my k70 for a week (bought one a week later) and I did the same with my newest lens. After having your hands on the camera for a week, you will surely know whether or not it feels right. I am very happy with my k70...it fits like a glove.
01-25-2018, 05:27 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by koekie Quote
Like mikesbike already mentioned here, perhaps it isn't even such a bad idea to wait a bit longer to see if a k-3 II replacement is finally coming this year.

Normally waiting for a new unannounced successor is ill-adviced, but if it comes this year, and damn it should , then you will really get a significant upgrade on just about any level.
The K-70 is cheap enough that even IF a K3II successor rears it's head this year and you want to sell your newish camera to get it you won't take more than a $100-$150 hit doing so, maybe less if you buy smart. There's no financial risk IMHO.
01-26-2018, 12:44 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

No doubt by now you are acquainted with accessing various settings via the info button. The very first section is the Custom Image menus. Hit ok to open all the categories. The camera, unless you've changed it, is by default set on the first category- "Bright" exposure palette. Hit info again to open it for adjustment. Using the buttons surrounding"ok", go down to the S at the bottom- Sharpening, which is up at +1 by default. On my KS2 and K-5IIs I increased it to +2, which seems fine without overdoing anything. On my KP, with its 24mp resolution, I leave it at +1. Now, very important, use your thumb dial to put an F by the S to implement Fine Sharpening. This will provide yet finer detail in your images. I've done this with all my camera models.

You could also hit ok again to return to all categories, then move to the next, "Natural", and set up the same Sharpening parameters as with "Bright", then hit ok again and move your camera back to "Bright" if this is the setting you normally use. You can then just shut off the camera, which will exit the screen or follow prompts.

Again, with the K-S2, it is wonderful to have such an advanced camera, with 2-dial operation, advanced VF and much more, in such a small, but well-built body. Size can matter. And with full Pentax Hyper Program in P mode, not just temporary program shift, and also Hyper Manual in M mode. Pentax definitely has the fastest, most efficient-operating control system out there.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-26-2018 at 12:56 PM.
01-26-2018, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks again for all your input and suggestions. I went to the camera store today to check out the K70. There was a black model, body only, which I checked out while the counterman made an estimate for my K-S2. I knew before he returned that I would keep my K-S2. The K70 looked and felt nice but no nicer than the K-S2. I know that under the hood there are some nice refinements in the former but my white K-S2 will serve me well for years to come. The offer for my camera with a 50mm 1.8 lens was $200 against a $700 K70. Not nearly enough. I shall instead invest in a prime lens. Thanks again for all the advice, and keep offering it.
Brian
01-27-2018, 03:47 PM   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by brjs Quote
The offer for my camera with a 50mm 1.8 lens was $200 against a $700 K70. Not nearly enough.
You'd do better than that if you sold in the marketplace here.

But a good prime will offer a lot too. Your next question should be "which one?" :-)