Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"Kids'" Pentax

All,

I recently purchased a K-3, and now have a few lenses, and love it. (Frankly, another user mentioned lens purchase support groups...I may need such a thing before long.) I have a (very mature) 11 year old and a 13 year old, both of whom have expressed interest in learning to use my camera. I am somewhat reluctant to let them get their hands on my K-3.

However, I have been eyeing older K-mount Pentax digital cameras (as well as considering the Q series). Since I now have two manual 50mm lenses, and plan on acquiring more manual lenses, I would not see any issue with mounting them on an older dSLR.

I have been considering the *ist line, the K100D, and the K110D. Any thoughts or recommendations here? It looks like the *ist line can often be had for less than $100, sometimes with lens. Thanks for any recs!

01-26-2018, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Greetings. My first Pentax DSLR was an *istDS, replaced by a K-5 before the current K-3II. Yes, the *ist line does a fine job, my son learned how to use it easily a few years ago, but now uses his iPhone exclusively! 'Too complicated for snaps', was his verdict on the DS.

The only issue that older non-weather sealed cameras might have - and my *istDS suffers from this - is lack of response from the e-dial becasue of possible dust accumulation, or something else that prevents the dial from working efficiently. Mine works after you spray it with electrical contact cleaner but soon sinks back into its old ways. Everything else works fine, although it does take CR-V3 Li batteries which you may not easily find in the high street. I'd vote for a used K-5, but depending where you are, this could be around maybe $200/£150 for the body only, so maybe a bit more than you were thinking of. The *ist line could be fine though, as long as you were careful about the condition of the e-dial.
01-26-2018, 07:16 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you're planning to use manual lenses exclusively then an "aperture block failure" K30 or 50 should be a bargain buy.
01-26-2018, 07:29 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

roberrl - great suggestion.

01-26-2018, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jawats Quote
I recently purchased a K-3, and now have a few lenses, and love it. (Frankly, another user mentioned lens purchase support groups...I may need such a thing before long.) I have a (very mature) 11 year old and a 13 year old, both of whom have expressed interest in learning to use my camera. I am somewhat reluctant to let them get their hands on my K-3.
I think you might "survey" the users as to what they might expect (or hope for) from a digital camera. I have a K100D Super, a K-r, a K20D and a K-5. The K100D Super was my first DSLR and I am unlikely to ever dispose of it as it still works well. AA batteries, very handy!
The K-r is smaller and would probably be better for their hands and features more mps and a rechargeable lithium battery.
The K-5 is great! Works well with manual focus lenses and again has a rechargeable lithium battery and the capability of 1000 shots on that battery and would provide everything they need to ;earn about photography.
I suspect whatever you choose will need to be replaced by something newer, so I recommend you get something you would like to use when they have graduated to using your K-3.
01-26-2018, 08:09 AM - 1 Like   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

no real advice on what Pentax body to get them other than I liked the K 5 II which is the first " modern " DSLR I owned

but I urge you to check the market place [ " buy/sell ] here at the forums when you decide what to go after

I have had good experiences in buying " experienced " equipment from other members there

I would also have them start looking at the reviews of the camera bodies

and the use of the comparison tool

Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

all found under " cameras " above

they are old enough to look at the options and ask questions about features and options aren't they?
01-26-2018, 08:14 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skodadriver Quote
I think you might "survey" the users as to what they might expect (or hope for) from a digital camera. I have a K100D Super, a K-r, a K20D and a K-5. The K100D Super was my first DSLR and I am unlikely to ever dispose of it as it still works well. AA batteries, very handy!
The K-r is smaller and would probably be better for their hands and features more mps and a rechargeable lithium battery.
The K-5 is great! Works well with manual focus lenses and again has a rechargeable lithium battery and the capability of 1000 shots on that battery and would provide everything they need to ;earn about photography.
I suspect whatever you choose will need to be replaced by something newer, so I recommend you get something you would like to use when they have graduated to using your K-3.
When they steal my K-3, I will be able to make a case for a K-1.

Just saying...

---------- Post added 01-26-18 at 08:21 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Aslyfox Quote
no real advice on what Pentax body to get them other than I liked the K 5 II which is the first " modern " DSLR I owned

but I urge you to check the market place [ " buy/sell ] here at the forums when you decide what to go after

I have had good experiences in buying " experienced " equipment from other members there

I would also have them start looking at the reviews of the camera bodies

and the use of the comparison tool

Pentax K-7 vs. Pentax K-5 vs. Pentax K10D - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

all found under " cameras " above

they are old enough to look at the options and ask questions about features and options aren't they?
They don't know enough yet to ask about options, I think, Aslyfox, but I will definitely peruse the camera marketplace here.

01-26-2018, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

. . . know enough yet to ask about options, I think, Aslyfox, but I will definitely peruse the camera marketplace here.
you know your children and their abilities
01-26-2018, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a 12-year-old nephew who was looking to get into photography last year, and his mom/my sister already had a K-50. So I got him an *istDS from a forum member for almost nothing. He's had it for eight months and has gotten a lot of use out of it, enjoys it a lot.

So when my 11-year-old asked for "a camera like his cousin" for Christmas I found him an *ist, too. He hasn't done a lot with it, but I think it'll do fine. With a sub-$100 camera you don't have to worry too much about it getting beat up, or dropped. My first DSLR was a K-30 and I now have a K3-II, so it's kind of strange working with the *ist series because of the controls - ISO is in a menu, there isn't any live view, you have to look to the top LCD for shutter/aperture... it's just different and (to me) less convenient. But it works.
01-26-2018, 08:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
I have a 12-year-old nephew who was looking to get into photography last year, and his mom/my sister already had a K-50. So I got him an *istDS from a forum member for almost nothing. He's had it for eight months and has gotten a lot of use out of it, enjoys it a lot.

So when my 11-year-old asked for "a camera like his cousin" for Christmas I found him an *ist, too. He hasn't done a lot with it, but I think it'll do fine. With a sub-$100 camera you don't have to worry too much about it getting beat up, or dropped. My first DSLR was a K-30 and I now have a K3-II, so it's kind of strange working with the *ist series because of the controls - ISO is in a menu, there isn't any live view, you have to look to the top LCD for shutter/aperture... it's just different and (to me) less convenient. But it works.
My thoughts exactly!
01-26-2018, 11:21 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

I have purchased several K10d's for my high school photography class. The cheapest one I picked up was 100 bucks and all were under 200. It is a great camera to start with and there are a lot of them out there.
01-26-2018, 11:42 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

it has been a few weeks since I was on the site but KEH often has *ist, K10, and K20s and 30s available cheap. No shutter counts but we are talking sub-$100 gear here.
01-26-2018, 01:14 PM - 3 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
it has been a few weeks since I was on the site but KEH often has *ist, K10, and K20s and 30s available cheap. No shutter counts but we are talking sub-$100 gear here.
Just bid on, and won, a Pentax K100D, with Pentax 18-55 3.5 - 5.6 lens, cables, etc. for $87 (inc. shipping). A lens I wanted anyway.
01-26-2018, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Just bid on, and won, a Pentax K100D, with Pentax 18-55 3.5 - 5.6 lens, cables, etc. for $87 (inc. shipping). A lens I wanted anyway.
Nice catch. My older daughter still shoots with "used to be my" K100D. Nothing wrong with that CCD sensor.
01-26-2018, 07:02 PM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first digital slr camera was the K100D Super. I thoroughly enjoyed it and still do actually. I next purchased a K-30 and truly love it, even though it has suffered the aperture block failure. My latest new camera purchase was a K-70. I must admit, the more i use it the more I am really loving it. I also have a K10D that I purchased used from a forum member.

You can't go wrong with any of the older models. Just find the best deal for the money