Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 09:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

I had a K100D for several years and really liked it but sold the thing last spring when I decided I just had too many cameras. I got to regretting it a few months later so I got a nice K200D for a little less than I sold the K100D for. A couple of other good bodies for a young shooter who is just learning are the K2000 (aka Km) and Kx. They both have very simple user interfaces and run off of AA batteries. They're also fairly compact and comparatively lightweight.

01-27-2018, 01:03 AM   #17

Having grown up with Pentax , starting with my KM circa 1975 and working my way up the range to two LX cameras , which I used for over two decades before moving to digital circa 2005 with a used *istD , which I still have , I can see where the OP is coming from .

My 9 year old son started out with a V-Tech Kiddizoom camera ( a camera designed especially for children : one of the main features is that it has twin viewfinders which , being put to both eyes , encourages the camera to be held more or less level ) ; when he outgrew that , he got an inexpensive Canon compact camera , which he uses all the time , and is becoming quite adept with the ‘Photos’ application on the older iMac we passed on to him .

While I now shoot with a K-1 and K-3 , and sometimes my K-01 , I have kept my *ist D for my son and will give it to him on his 10th birthday .

I also have an older daughter , and started her off with one of my MX film cameras , which she used for a while , before buying her the then current model K-10D for her 21st birthday ( she still uses it ) and later giving her one of my two *istD bodies as a backup camera .
01-27-2018, 02:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pontoneer Quote
I also have an older daughter , and started her off with one of my MX film cameras , which she used for a while , before buying her the then current model K-10D for her 21st birthday ( she still uses it ) and later giving her one of my two *istD bodies as a backup camera

I completely agree with you. Start them off with a fully manual film camera, and after a couple of rolls they will understand the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO on a fundamental level. I know adults who have been using DSLRs for years who have never really grasped the deep principles underlying all that automation -- principles that you have no choice but to learn with a manual film camera.
01-27-2018, 04:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I completely agree with you. Start them off with a fully manual film camera, and after a couple of rolls they will understand the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO on a fundamental level. I know adults who have been using DSLRs for years who have never really grasped the deep principles underlying all that automation -- principles that you have no choice but to learn with a manual film camera.
I'm going to respectfully disagree about the film camera. With digital you can put it on manual, and immediately show a kid (or adult) the impact of changing fundamental settings. With film you press the shutter and it's (at least) hours until they see what the differences are, and even then you have to try to match up photos with what the settings were. With my kid and his *ist I showed him what happens when aperture changes in 10 minutes. With film it's two days and you have to piece things together.