Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 07:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

LX sluggish in the cold?

Today was the first time I took my LX out in winter. It wasn't that cold, probably around - 10 C by the time we made it to the canal. LX was at home, then in the bag in the car, and then just in the bag for about half an hour when I took it out to take some photos. The first time I hit the shutter I felt like there was a delay between the time I pressed the shutter and the time the mirror went up. I took another 10 or so photos and I think the delay just got worse. Kids posing for the photo would actually move between the time I hit the shutter and the time the mirror went up.

Never noticed anything like that before, so I attributed it to the cold. If it is cold, it surely isn't right, is it? If not cold, what is it?

01-26-2018, 07:52 PM   #2
GPZ
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Did you test it when you came back home to see if it worked correctly?
01-26-2018, 08:01 PM   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Hi IgorZ, whenever I used my LX ( don't have it anymore ) in colder temperatures, I removed the batteries, and relied on the electro-mechanical shutter. I found the batteries to be quite unreliable. Shooting totally manual for me was very time consuming though, by the time I used my light meter to get exposure settings, many times the moment had gone. But that was me. I never really got proficient with exposures until I went digital with a K20D. Waiting until my films got developed was sometimes quite disappointing for me. Good luck.
01-26-2018, 08:17 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When you warmed it back up, did it work properly? As the LX is getting a bit long in years, it may be time for a good CLA. The lubricants will stiffen with age, and only get worse in the cold. My LX was getting a bit sluggish, especially at shutter speeds below 1/60, but I just had a CLA done and spent a whole day shooting at -10 C with no problems.

01-26-2018, 08:20 PM   #5
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
When you warmed it back up, did it work properly? As the LX is getting a bit long in years, it may be time for a good CLA. The lubricants will stiffen with age, and only get worse in the cold. My LX was getting a bit sluggish, especially at shutter speeds below 1/60, but I just had a CLA done and spent a whole day shooting at -10 C with no problems.
^^^ This too !!
01-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

^^^this^^^

When my first LX (I own 3) was brand new, I took it and a K1000 out on a Christmas day when it was close to -30ºC. The battery on the LX quit after about 45 minutes, IIRC, but it kept working on mechanical speeds. The K1000 meter quit after an hour, and eventually the shutter froze open. The LX will work in very extreme conditions, providing it has fresh lubricants.
01-26-2018, 08:43 PM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My LX was recently CLA'd by Eric. I've been doing street photography with it since then without a glitch in subzero temperatures, but probably not as low as yours.

01-26-2018, 10:13 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Aside from the cold, have you used the LX recently? The mirror sits on a rubber piece that gets gooey with age. My LX acted like yours in normal temperatures before I replaced the rubber. How does your camera act now in warm temperature?
01-27-2018, 04:05 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GPZ Quote
Did you test it when you came back home to see if it worked correctly?
No. I usually let it warm up slowly in the bag. Then I got busy with kids...

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 04:07 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
Hi IgorZ, whenever I used my LX ( don't have it anymore ) in colder temperatures, I removed the batteries, and relied on the electro-mechanical shutter. I found the batteries to be quite unreliable. Shooting totally manual for me was very time consuming though, by the time I used my light meter to get exposure settings, many times the moment had gone. But that was me. I never really got proficient with exposures until I went digital with a K20D. Waiting until my films got developed was sometimes quite disappointing for me. Good luck.
Huh, haven't thought of that. The batteries were replaced in the spring though... I've shot a couple of rolls since then, but not that many. Or are thry in general unreliable in the cold?

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 04:11 AM ----------

Haven't checked it yet. Will try once the sun is out. Thanks for the suggestion. I haven't thought about the sticky grease... I replaced the sticky mirror buffer recently, and they told me they did a CLA, but it wasn't Eric who did it, so I am not sure how much work they actually did... They fixed the sticky mirror problem though.

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 04:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Aside from the cold, have you used the LX recently? The mirror sits on a rubber piece that gets gooey with age. My LX acted like yours in normal temperatures before I replaced the rubber. How does your camera act now in warm temperature?
Yes, I use the LX quite often. It always works fine, aside from the outing yesterday. I had the sticky mirror fixed recently.

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 04:16 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
^^^this^^^

When my first LX (I own 3) was brand new, I took it and a K1000 out on a Christmas day when it was close to -30ºC. The battery on the LX quit after about 45 minutes, IIRC, but it kept working on mechanical speeds. The K1000 meter quit after an hour, and eventually the shutter froze open. The LX will work in very extreme conditions, providing it has fresh lubricants.
Given the winter we've had, if I can get it to work in - 30 temperatures by replacing the lubricant, I should send it to Eric asap
01-27-2018, 04:16 AM   #10
Closed Account

I think the batteries of today are better than when I was using my LX. I believe the others may be correct about the CLA. Good luck.
01-27-2018, 06:30 AM   #11
Forum Member

Battery Packs

Years ago, camera makers had battery packs which you could keep in your pocket or somewhere warm with an extension which fit into the cameras battery enclosure. This kept them warm and usable. In fact I made one up for my Canon F1 years ago. All battery based functions worked in subzero (Fahrenheit) weather. No idea if Pentax made one for their cameras, others will know better than I. I'm sure if you check on the DIY websites or youtube, you'll find out how to make one or adapt the idea for yourself. It's not that difficult.
But, as the above posters say...a good technician would clean and replace lubricants in the camera, after all even I need some lubricant for my bones and joints after all these years.
01-27-2018, 06:41 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by IgorZ Quote
If it is cold, it surely isn't right, is it? If not cold, what is it?
In below freezing temperatures, your battery will be taxed and affected and the viscosity of the lubricant normally used becomes hard. Itʻs the same with motor oil for your carʻs engine.

Pros on assignment in extreme conditions "back in the day" typically got their cameras "winterized" by having them serviced for removal of the standard oil-based gear lubricant and replaced with graphite. However in recent times most lubricants are silicone-based and perform better at a greater range of temperatures.

I would suggest just testing your camera at room temperature first and making sure your battery is fresh and the contacts clean. Most likely itʻs either a power issue or the camera needs a CLA for use in extreme cold. Also, mechanical gear likes to be used regularly, and sometimes just firing a bunch of blanks will help "get the rust out".

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 07:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
after all even I need some lubricant for my bones and joints after all these years.
For sure, but I wouldnʻt use fish oil
01-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In below freezing temperatures, your battery will be taxed and affected and the viscosity of the lubricant normally used becomes hard. Itʻs the same with motor oil for your carʻs engine.

Pros on assignment in extreme conditions "back in the day" typically got their cameras "winterized" by having them serviced for removal of the standard oil-based gear lubricant and replaced with graphite. However in recent times most lubricants are silicone-based and perform better at a greater range of temperatures.

I would suggest just testing your camera at room temperature first and making sure your battery is fresh and the contacts clean. Most likely itʻs either a power issue or the camera needs a CLA for use in extreme cold. Also, mechanical gear likes to be used regularly, and sometimes just firing a bunch of blanks will help "get the rust out".

---------- Post added 01-27-18 at 07:44 AM ----------

For sure, but I wouldnʻt use fish oil
Thanks! I never had problems with k-5 in sub zero temperatures. I have used it at - 30 celcius without any problems. It must be the old grease then. I also use the LX quite often. Don't want to let this treasure sit...
02-20-2018, 08:09 PM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NYNOIR Quote
Years ago, camera makers had battery packs which you could keep in your pocket or somewhere warm with an extension which fit into the cameras battery enclosure. This kept them warm and usable. In fact I made one up for my Canon F1 years ago. All battery based functions worked in subzero (Fahrenheit) weather. No idea if Pentax made one for their cameras, others will know better than I.
As a matter of fact I just got one and it's called a Pentax Battery Cord, courtesy of a generous forum member Barrd-Einar!

What a well thought out accessory! It comes with a 4 foot cord and you simply remove the batteries from your LX and put it in the two cel holder at the end of the cord. It also comes with a tripod extender.

A tripod extension may be needed - depending on the tripod used.
I have a small Manfrotto without a quick release and it is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the cord.

But on another with a quick release, the extender is definitely needed.

Overall another fine accessory for the Pentax LX!
02-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
As a matter of fact I just got one and it's called a Pentax Battery Cord, courtesy of a generous forum member Barrd-Einar!

What a well thought out accessory! It comes with a 4 foot cord and you simply remove the batteries from your LX and put it in the two cel holder at the end of the cord. It also comes with a tripod extender.

A tripod extension may be needed - depending on the tripod used.
I have a small Manfrotto without a quick release and it is small enough that it doesn't interfere with the cord.

But on another with a quick release, the extender is definitely needed.

Overall another fine accessory for the Pentax LX!
I'm glad you got that battery extender cord, it looks like a very rare item to find. These cords enabled you to keep them in an inner, warm pocket. I doubt if any camera manufacturer makes any such accessory today.