Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2018, 08:51 PM   #1

Pentax KP Silver vs. Black

Hi All,

I'm new around here. I'm getting ready to purchase a KP since recently selling my Canon 60D. The 60D was a great camera, but I'm intrigued by the features of the Pentax. Now, I'm leaning toward the silver KP but I'm curious; is the silver color painted over a different color of polycarbonate and magnesium? I ask because I'm assuming the black version can handle a scratch, at least on the polycarbonate part, and still look good, but I'm afraid a scratch on the silver will expose a black, or other color material underneath. I'm not that worried about cosmetics, but I'm curious before I buy.

-Thanks

01-26-2018, 09:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

If I were getting a KP, I think I'd go for a black one for just the reasons you mentioned. I just feel overall it's easier to keep a black camera body looking nice. I realize it's an entirely different beast, but I have two Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ50s, one silver and one black, and the silver one shows a bit more wear. The black one has its fair share of scratches also, but they just don't show up as readily.
01-26-2018, 09:57 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by youngphotographer Quote
Hi All,

I'm new around here. I'm getting ready to purchase a KP since recently selling my Canon 60D. The 60D was a great camera, but I'm intrigued by the features of the Pentax. Now, I'm leaning toward the silver KP but I'm curious; is the silver color painted over a different color of polycarbonate and magnesium? I ask because I'm assuming the black version can handle a scratch, at least on the polycarbonate part, and still look good, but I'm afraid a scratch on the silver will expose a black, or other color material underneath. I'm not that worried about cosmetics, but I'm curious before I buy.

-Thanks
I plan to purchase a silver KP someday; it will look a lot like the Pentax Super Program I "retired" as primary camera {after eleven years of service} in August 1995 {although I still use it on occasion}. I don't really know the answer to your question, but I'm not very worried; the Super Program has a few "war wounds", and I figure the KP won't look any worse.
01-26-2018, 10:01 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had a silver K-3 for years and it still looks mint. My brother has it now. I have a silver K-1 and Q7 as well.

I would have no qualms about a silver KP; in fact, I'm kicking myself for getting a black one.

01-27-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been looking but haven't bought. Even though it's completely irrelevant to photography I think the silver looks better.
01-27-2018, 03:42 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I have the silver KP. It's painted over black material, I have some abraison on it. I think it's still looks better than the black, but I agree with E-man, It's easier to keep the black one looking nice.
01-27-2018, 03:49 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I started out in photography (1960's) almost all SLRs were silver. When Pentax brought out a black one, I lusted after it, but couldn't afford it.
Until I bought my *ist DS and then my K-5 all my cameras had been silver. Pentax's finish may be different, but none of my silver cameras ever looked marked.
I don't think it is an issue.
My new KP is the silver model.

01-27-2018, 04:28 AM   #8
HYS
Veteran Member

I can’t comment bodies but my HD20-40 silver after two years doesn’t look so silver .
01-27-2018, 05:11 AM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies! I'm still deciding, but it seems that either way it'll work out well enough. The silver does remind me of the 35mm film cameras I learned on 15 or so years ago. I'm 27, and just old enough to have used film before digital became the new standard.

-Thanks
01-27-2018, 07:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I still have a silver Pentax MZ-5N and it looks really nice! And I was in love with my silver *ist DS that gave me great service for many years. On those the silver was painted on a polycarbonete body, but the silver still looked good even after many years of usage.
01-29-2018, 07:48 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks again for the replies.
01-29-2018, 04:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I've had my silver KP going on one year and it has become my most used model over my K-5 IIs and K-S2. I've had my silver DA 20-40mm for over two years, have used it extensively on all my models, and it still matches my KP perfectly. I think the silver looks classy and does remind me of the compact 35mm classic cameras of yesteryear, of which I still have several models. I might even get a second silver KP body, I like it that much. I do, however, take reasonable care of my equipment, and avoid handling it with grungy hands. if I am out and around, I take along some hand-wipes. I also use a belt/shoulder holster for carrying.

Another thing I just thought of- the top plate is polycarbonate, but otherwise the body is metal, magnesium alloy. Metal is not usually black by nature, so the KP is mostly finished metal. if anything, I would think a black finish would be done with a metallic color underneath.

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-30-2018 at 01:33 PM.
01-30-2018, 11:29 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies. I purchased a silver one as I originally intended to. I appreciate the feedback.
01-30-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Veteran Member

When you get your new camera, I always recommend what some test reviews have, and what I have done for years with my Pentax DSLRs: Go to the Custom Image menus and adjust sharpening to fine-sharpening. This will improve fine detail in your images. You access via the "info" button to bring up the quick-link screen. Custom Image is the first section. Hit the "ok" button to display its categories. The first is "Bright" which the camera is set on by default for normal shooting. Hit the "info" button again to open its menu. The image palette settings are displayed, and you will see at the bottom, Sharpening is up by +1 in this category by default, which is normal. When in this screen, the 4 buttons around "ok" are for navigation. Scroll down to the "S" and using your rear thumb dial, put an "F" by the "S" to implement Fine Sharpening. You're done here, so hit "ok" and you'll be back to all categories. You can move over to the next one, "Natural", and adjust it the same way. Its sharpening is set to center by default. If you wish, you can increase it also to +1 using your right button, before most importantly putting the "F" with the "S". The rest of the palette- contrast, color, saturation, etc. will remain the same and will be different from "Bright" even though maybe not shown as different. So hit "ok" again, then move to the left to put the camera back on "Bright". Now just shut off the camera which will exit the quick-links screen, or follow prompts.

If you've had experience with old MF compact 35mm cameras, you'll adapt to handling the KP very quickly. Despite similarities in handling, however, it is a far more capable instrument, with many more useful features and a very advanced control set. As with all current Pentax DSLR models, this includes the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. To have the full system available, both a thumb and a front finger control dial are necessary, which all current Pentax DSLRs have. The system was originated way back in the mid-1990's. I bought my Pentax PZ-1p in 1997, replacing a Pentax flagship model from 1989. I then discovered the new operating system and was amazed at its efficiency.

Hyper Program: If operating in Program mode (P), and you find the camera has set a different aperture or shutter speed than one you'd rather have, just use one of those dials to select what you want- simple as that! Lighting permitting, you will have it instantly. the first click will freeze the current setting, subsequent clicks will alter the setting. The camera will be instantly shifted into Av or Tv mode without your having to first adjust the mode dial, then make your selection. It will stay put until you change it, or hit the green button, returning operation to full program, or turn off the camera.

Hyper Manual: When in Manual mode (M), the green button can be used to instantly set a meter-centered exposure, instead of the usual twirling of dials to set aperture and shutter speed. This is an especially fast way of taking spot meter readings at various points within a scene. If a different aperture or shutter speed is preferred, you can hit the AE-L button first (unless it is programmed to be used as a back AF button) and your meter-centered exposure setting will be preserved as either the aperture setting or shutter speed will automatically follow along as you adjust the other.

This system is certainly the fastest-operating, most efficient control system available in any DSLR out there. I think you'll be impressed. I am also wondering which lens or lenses you will be using?

I also recommend just shooting JPEGs for a time while you acclimate yourself to the camera's controls and functions. Its JPEG engine is exceptionally good as well. Very fine, sharp images with a very good lens.

Congrats on your forthcoming new camera, and welcome to Pentax and Pentax Forums!

Last edited by mikesbike; 01-30-2018 at 04:56 PM.
01-30-2018, 07:55 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
When you get your new camera, I always recommend what some test reviews have, and what I have done for years with my Pentax DSLRs: Go to the Custom Image menus and adjust sharpening to fine-sharpening. This will improve fine detail in your images. You access via the "info" button to bring up the quick-link screen. Custom Image is the first section. Hit the "ok" button to display its categories. The first is "Bright" which the camera is set on by default for normal shooting. Hit the "info" button again to open its menu. The image palette settings are displayed, and you will see at the bottom, Sharpening is up by +1 in this category by default, which is normal. When in this screen, the 4 buttons around "ok" are for navigation. Scroll down to the "S" and using your rear thumb dial, put an "F" by the "S" to implement Fine Sharpening. You're done here, so hit "ok" and you'll be back to all categories. You can move over to the next one, "Natural", and adjust it the same way. Its sharpening is set to center by default. If you wish, you can increase it also to +1 using your right button, before most importantly putting the "F" with the "S". The rest of the palette- contrast, color, saturation, etc. will remain the same and will be different from "Bright" even though maybe not shown as different. So hit "ok" again, then move to the left to put the camera back on "Bright". Now just shut off the camera which will exit the quick-links screen, or follow prompts.

If you've had experience with old MF compact 35mm cameras, you'll adapt to handling the KP very quickly. Despite similarities in handling, however, it is a far more capable instrument, with many more useful features and a very advanced control set. As with all current Pentax DSLR models, this includes the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. To have the full system available, both a thumb and a front finger control dial are necessary, which all current Pentax DSLRs have. The system was originated way back in the mid-1990's. I bought my Pentax PZ-1p in 1997, replacing a Pentax flagship model from 1989. I then discovered the new operating system and was amazed at its efficiency.

Hyper Program: If operating in Program mode (P), and you find the camera has set a different aperture or shutter speed than one you'd rather have, just use one of those dials to select what you want- simple as that! Lighting permitting, you will have it instantly. the first click will freeze the current setting, subsequent clicks will alter the setting. The camera will be instantly shifted into Av or Tv mode without your having to first adjust the mode dial, then make your selection. It will stay put until you change it, or hit the green button, returning operation to full program, or turn off the camera.

Hyper Manual: When in Manual mode (M), the green button can be used to instantly set a meter-centered exposure, instead of the usual twirling of dials to set aperture and shutter speed. This is an especially fast way of taking spot meter readings at various points within a scene. If a different aperture or shutter speed is preferred, you can hit the AE-L button first (unless it is programmed to be used as a back AF button) and your meter-centered exposure setting will be preserved as either the aperture setting or shutter speed will automatically follow along as you adjust the other.

This system is certainly the fastest-operating, most efficient control system available in any DSLR out there. I think you'll be impressed. I am also wondering which lens or lenses you will be using?

I also recommend just shooting JPEGs for a time while you acclimate yourself to the camera's controls and functions. Its JPEG engine is exceptionally good as well. Very fine, sharp images with a very good lens.

Congrats on your forthcoming new camera, and welcome to Pentax and Pentax Forums!
Thank you very much for all of the useful information. I've learned photography over the years through my father. He did darkroom b+w and color enlargements for twenty years or so. He's used old Nikon 35mm cameras, a film Pentax 6x7, Hasselblad, Canon 5D and 5D MKII, and many more. Now, he uses a Pentax K1 and he likes it so far. With that being said, your advice for tweaking the internal settings will be helpful to both of us. I appreciate it. I will be using the Pentax 28-105mm lens, and a Pentax 50mm f1.4 lens for now. I also have access to a couple older, manual lenses. I'm looking forward to using the KP, and seeing how it compares to my outgoing Canon 60D.

-Thanks