Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 06:03 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-1 SD card problem

Hi folks,

I need some help with my K-1. The problem being is that once I have an SD card in the camera that I have formatted in camera or just simply taken a picture onto it the card becomes read only. I cannot copy firmware files onto it, nor delete any picture on my PC.

It seems that only the camera can handle these card once they have been put in the camera which is annoying as I need to use a new card with every firmware update. Am I missing some setting to override this?

I tried to format these SD cards on my PC and on my Macbook but they still remain read only without any possibility of handling them otherwise.

Thanks for any input.

01-27-2018, 06:15 AM   #2
pid
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
maybe the little "Lock" on the side of the card is set wrong
01-27-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

SD cards are very cheep, try using another card to just do updates and dedicate two cards for your camera. Like pid suggested , check your lock tab on the sd card.
01-27-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It sounds like the card has been locked as mentioned. Make sure the tab is not set to lock, if it is, the card will be read only.

01-27-2018, 07:58 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have one SD card with a very sensitive lock switch. It seems to set itself to lock one in three inserts into the camera for some reason I have yet to figure out.
01-27-2018, 01:55 PM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I have one SD card with a very sensitive lock switch. It seems to set itself to lock one in three inserts into the camera for some reason I have yet to figure out.
+1 , I have had problems too.
I wish they would sell the cards with fixed tabs as I have never used the write protection tab personally.
01-28-2018, 07:53 AM   #7

Original Poster
It is actually not the tab, I checked that first. I took the card to my friend who put it into his PC and cleared something in command prompt. It seems to be working now as I managed to put the firmware file onto the card and update the K-1.

It should not be this complex a process though.

Thanks for all the input!

01-28-2018, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote
It is actually not the tab, I checked that first. I took the card to my friend who put it into his PC and cleared something in command prompt. It seems to be working now as I managed to put the firmware file onto the card and update the K-1.

I'm glad you got it sorted out
01-28-2018, 04:40 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zivelot Quote

I’m glad you sorted that out. But it really shouldn’t be that complicated, at least I’ve never had those issues. I’d consider getting a new card, that would leave me weary of future problems and losing photos.
01-28-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
+1 , I have had problems too.
I wish they would sell the cards with fixed tabs as I have never used the write protection tab personally.
Cards can get corrupted when put into a card-reader without write-protect being set. In this case, the computer may add information to the card, invisible to the user, that prevents the camera writing to it. Whenever I put a card into the card-reader, I always set write-protect - it is possible that this how the OP's card became corrupted in the first place.
02-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #11

Original Poster
It must be something with the camera, as after updating firmware the card became read only again, not allowing me to copy anything onto it.The camera can still use it to write pictures onto it and I can save pictures from the card onto my computer, but I can not alter anything on card out of camera.