Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-27-2018, 11:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K 3 and Intervalometer

Hello

I begin be ungry, perhaps my fault but I can't use my intervalometer. I want take 10 shots of 2m with an interval of 10s and the camera make 5 shots and the last one i need shut it down. The resilt is only 5 with the last one longer. I belive it does not shut down and the exposure stay in bulb so i need to shut it off.

Anyone can help?
The intervalometer I bought is a generic one with the cable for Pentax similar to the one attached.

Thanks in advance
Antonio

Attached Images

01-27-2018, 03:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Consider what you have set it to do and do a mental walk through the steps. (Hint: most intervalometers time from the start of the first event.)

I have a similar intervalometer to that pictured and to set for a series of 2m exposures with 20s between I must configure:
Delay = 0
Interval = 2m + 20s + time until ready* (the time between shutter presses)
Exposure/"Long" = 2m
Count = 5
In addition, since you are doing B(ulb) mode exposures, you might want to confirm that your camera is configured to use the same B option as the intervalometer. Most operate assuming Option 1 in the Custom menu settings for B meanin a continuous press of the shutter release for the full time. Option two means one press to start and a second to stop; this being the setting to use with most IR remotes.

A third consideration is whether you have Slow Shutter Speed NR enabled (Rec Menu 2). If enabled, there will be a background subtract step equal to the time of the exposure, effectively doubling the exposure cycle.

Fourth is in regards to the cable end on your intervalometer. For your K-3, it should look like the photo below. You already know that, but I added the comment for the benefit of future readers of this thread.
I hope this helps.

Steve

* This is usually not very long, assuming the background subtract option is turned off.
01-27-2018, 03:45 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have a similar intervalometer to that pictured and to set for a series of 2m exposures with 20s between I must configure:
It occurred to me that operation might be pretty much the same as for my remote and that my review of that unit might be helpful. I included detailed information on usage.

Bower LCD Timer and Remote Shutter Release (Model RCLC1R) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

Steve
01-27-2018, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Consider what you have set it to do and do a mental walk through the steps. (Hint: most intervalometers time from the start of the first event.)

Delay = 0
Interval = 2m + 20s + time until ready* (the time between shutter presses)
Exposure/"Long" = 2m
Count = 5
In addition, since you are doing B(ulb) mode exposures, you might want to confirm that your camera is configured to use the same B option as the intervalometer. Most operate assuming Option 1 in the Custom menu settings for B meanin a continuous press of the shutter release for the full time. Option two means one press to start and a second to stop; this being the setting to use with most IR remotes.

A third consideration is whether you have Slow Shutter Speed NR enabled (Rec Menu 2). If enabled, there will be a background subtract step equal to the time of the exposure, effectively doubling the exposure cycle.

Fourth is in regards to the cable end on your intervalometer. For your K-3, it should look like the photo below. You already know that, but I added the comment for the benefit of future readers of this thread.I hope this helps.

Steve

* This is usually not very long, assuming the background subtract option is turned off.
Hello

You are wright. As I said my error eventualy and I confirm. I should choose option 1 in Bulb mode, as I have configured it to option 2.
Problem solved.

Thanks to all

Regards
Antonio.