Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #1

Lens will not screw on to Body - Pentax MX and Tou/Five star 80-200mm Lens by Toyo.

Hello!

I have a Pentax MX film camera from 1985. I also have many lenses for it. One of the lenses, A tou five star 80-200mm by Toyo optics won't seat into the camera properly.
It fits into the K-Mount but it won't twist into place. I am thinking it might be damaged because the metal bar on the lens seems to be bent but I'm not sure if that's how its made to be.

Help? -Beshington.

Lens not twisting into place. - Album on Imgur
Images of the body and lens.

01-29-2018, 12:09 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While it looks like K-mount, I'd suggest it may not be. That "bent" aperture lever is not compatible with K-mount.
01-29-2018, 12:50 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
While it looks like K-mount, I'd suggest it may not be. That "bent" aperture lever is not compatible with K-mount.
What he said ^ ^ ^

What you have is definitely not K-mount and the closest I can come might be Nikon F disabled/emasculated/munged by a previous owner to make the lens full manual aperture. Stuff is missing.

Steve
01-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think it is k mount. The locking space is correct. The nikon is in between tabs. I think its the bent parts particularly by the unaligned screw. Tried and m lens on my mx without completely keeping it flush and it would stick because of the groove the tabs have to fit in.

01-29-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, it is a K mount lens! That aperture lever should never have been bent, unless there is a particular reason for it! You just straighten it up and there you go!
01-29-2018, 04:25 PM   #6

There doesn't appear to be a slot for the lever to move in. Straightening the lever may allow you to mount the lens but I doubt it will work and may even damage the camera as it is way larger than any lever I've seen. It almost looks as if someone jammed the piece into the normal opening for the lever. The lens looks like it has been severely abused and dropped hard several times. The head on the screw on the upper right in the third photo also looks to me that it has been stripped.

I wouldn't even bother with the lens except as a dummy to practice taking apart.
01-29-2018, 04:31 PM   #7
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

this guide

SLR Lens Mount Identification Guide

" So you've found a lens and you don't know what camera it fits? Scroll down this set of photos until you find the one that it looks like. I don't have everything here, but I have most of the more common ones for manual-focus, focal plane shutter 35mm SLRs. "

was posted by forum member marcusBMG in another thread

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/29-welcomes-introductions/359733-lens-mo...ml#post4189530

investigating what type of mount was on a lens

perhaps it might be helpful here as well ?

01-29-2018, 05:50 PM - 1 Like   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
I think it is k mount. The locking space is correct.
Good point. On further examination, the mount itself is K, though that bent tab is not an aperture actuator. I vote for Frankenlens.

Steve
01-29-2018, 06:50 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Considering that:

A) Third party, manual focus 80ish to 200ish zooms are a dime a dozen, and

B) That lens looks like it has seen a few drops.

Why not just toss it and find another? Definitely better than damaging what looks like a pretty clean MX.
01-29-2018, 07:03 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I vote for Frankenlens.
A second vote, this is what the pentax mount on this lens should look like.

Note the five screws and of course the 'PK'.

Clearly a 'Frankenlens'.
01-29-2018, 09:11 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Vote frankenlens here. You can see the mount isn't seated down properly because the (aperture lever) is pounded down in the way. There should be more space in the black part for that piece to come up. You can see its covered up. Also looks like there could be a spacer under the mount. Doubt hit focuses to infinity.
01-30-2018, 07:58 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
There doesn't appear to be a slot for the lever to move in. Straightening the lever may allow you to mount the lens but I doubt it will work and may even damage the camera as it is way larger than any lever I've seen. It almost looks as if someone jammed the piece into the normal opening for the lever. The lens looks like it has been severely abused and dropped hard several times. The head on the screw on the upper right in the third photo also looks to me that it has been stripped.

I wouldn't even bother with the lens except as a dummy to practice taking apart.
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
Considering that:

A) Third party, manual focus 80ish to 200ish zooms are a dime a dozen, and

B) That lens looks like it has seen a few drops.

Why not just toss it and find another? Definitely better than damaging what looks like a pretty clean MX.
I've decided to take it apart. Thanks for the advice everyone!