Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 05:20 AM   #1

K7 and continuous beeping after taking photo

Another newbie with doubts about old lenses.

New to me K7D with Pentax smc A 50mm 1.7 lens. Aperture ring "enabled" in camera and aperture ring set to "A"
AF S set and centre spot focussing.

When I take a picture (reasonably confident with focus) the camera continues to beep several times after a picture has been taken. Is this normal and can it have any effect i.e. damage on the autofocus mechanism?

Many thanks for your tolerance with such questions.

01-30-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What sort of SD card do you have in the camera?
01-30-2018, 06:03 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Are you holding down the focus button (shutter or back focus, depending on how you have your camera set up) after taking the picture? If beeping isn't constant, it could be the focus confirmation for catch in focus.
01-30-2018, 06:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Should you have the aperture ring Enabled when using" A" ?

01-30-2018, 06:18 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Should you have the aperture ring Enabled when using" A" ?
I don't think it is necessary for use of a "A" lens, but equally it does no harm. I have always set mine to enable because I have K and M series lenses and leave it permanently in that setting even when using the latest D-FA lenses.
01-30-2018, 06:56 AM   #6

Original Poster
Finger not engaged with either button

SDHC 4 16gb

Catch in focus not enabled

Thanks
01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #7
Pentaxian

After releasing the shutter button the camera remains active for the period of the '"Meter Operating Time", set in Custom Menu 1 - the default is 10 seconds. When using manual focus, the focus point also remains active during that time so, as you move the camera around, it will beep whenever the focus point hits a spot that is in focus in the surroundings.

Philip

01-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Original Poster
Have reduced focus time to 3 seconds but still beeps as far out as 6 seconds maybe 4 or 5 times in all.

Might just be one of those quirky things. I was basically concerned that the autofocus mechanism was "overworking" itself so to speak plus the beep is slightly irritating (I know I could just switch it off maybe)?
01-30-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
Ole
Administrator

Set the camera to manual focus and tell us what happens.
01-30-2018, 09:16 AM   #10

Original Poster
With manual settings, it might just be coincidence, but I only get one beep after shutter release.

I'm sorry for the reasonably minor issue, just trying to work it out really. I received the lens yesterday and in initial "play" just one beep and take. Today multiple beeps. It's often these small things that take up time.

Thanks to all so far.
01-30-2018, 09:30 AM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

If your subject sways in and out of focus after taking the shot, it's possible that you will get multiple beeps. I believe if you reduce the "metering operating time" setting, the AF also shuts of quicker after you take your finger off the shutter button.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-30-2018, 05:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pastyman Quote
...I was basically concerned that the autofocus mechanism was "overworking" itself so to speak...
The SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.7 is a manual focus lens, so setting AF-S is pointless, as the AF system does not work with that lens attached. Don't worry about the focus beeps - turn their volume down or turn them off if they annoy you.

Philip
01-31-2018, 03:06 AM   #13

Original Poster
Thank you all for your help.

I believe the answer is to have reduced the metering time and the fact that it was focussing on a swaying subject and/or me moving the camera.

When I held steady on a solid building it didn't happen. I only mentioned af s setting to confirm position of all controls.

Thank you Adam and Philip and all who have kindly contributed and helping this old guy with a rather trivial issue.

My kindest regards to you all.

Philip.