Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 06:39 AM   #1

Dirty autofocus sensor

Lately I had some problems with my K-3 and many of my photos were blurry and the autofocus was really BAD even in daylight. Did some test shot with a focus chart and I suspected that the lens had some back/frontfocus issues.

Well, on the lens of the autofocus sensor I found a hair or some kind of clothing thread and I hope that thing was the origin of all my problems. Does anybody know if that 3cm hair can mess the autofocus that much?

01-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It can mess definitly. I had only dust on it and even that messed up the autofocus.
01-30-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
I had only dust on it and even that messed up the autofocus.
Same story here. Or at least my focus problems went away after a few blasts with the rocket blower in the direction of the focus sensor.
01-30-2018, 09:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Me three! I had an eyelash on the AF sensor lens that caused huge AF reliability issues. I thought the camera was broken until I found the culprit.

Now I always use a rocketblower to clean out the mirror box and AF sensor area when I do a sensor cleaning.

01-30-2018, 02:37 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can attest to this also. Before my last wedding, I did a thorough cleaning of my K5 and K3 with a blower. I noticed significant improvements in autofocus, especially with my K5. And for me, it was only dust.
01-30-2018, 04:18 PM   #6

It can, but did you check the mirror and secondary mirror for grease spots?
That's another culrpit and some cameras have this issue. My K-3 did and it was a pain to clean.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
01-31-2018, 09:07 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by randomstuff Quote
It can, but did you check the mirror and secondary mirror for grease spots?
That's another culrpit and some cameras have this issue. My K-3 did and it was a pain to clean.

Imgur: The magic of the Internet
I will check for that tonight, but do I have to manually move the mirror to get to the secondary one?
The bad thing was that I always clean my camera at someone else, but now I will buy a cleaning kit.

01-31-2018, 09:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Just were is the focus sensor located on the K3 and K1 ?
01-31-2018, 09:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Just were is the focus sensor located on the K3 and K1 ?
It's in the middle of the floor of the mirrorbox and looks up toward a secondary mirror that is behind the big reflex mirror.
01-31-2018, 10:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Had no idea all that was behind the reflex mirror. Another dumb question, just how do you get to the sensor and secondary mirror? When I select sensor clean the main reflex mirror goes up and all you see is that big beautiful Sony image sensor
01-31-2018, 05:23 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Had no idea all that was behind the reflex mirror. Another dumb question, just how do you get to the sensor and secondary mirror? When I select sensor clean the main reflex mirror goes up and all you see is that big beautiful Sony image sensor

http://mattgrum.com/photo_se/AF-Optics-Cutaway.png

You have to delicately lift it with your finger, ideally with nitrile gloves, so you don't leave any residue, grease or skin bits. There is a step in which secondary mirror snaps up to fold within the main mirror, but there is a range of angles at which you can see both mirrors.

I would caution about cleaning the mirror though. I did it and it works fine, but the mirror coating is not supposed to be very durable, so just read up on it if you are ok taking the risk. I had no choice, b.c. my camera was basically unusable with all this grease, and fixing it was basically the same cost as getting a new one.
01-31-2018, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Thank you randomstuff
01-31-2018, 05:33 PM - 1 Like   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by semaca Quote
I will check for that tonight, but do I have to manually move the mirror to get to the secondary one?
The bad thing was that I always clean my camera at someone else, but now I will buy a cleaning kit.
Yes, manually is the only way I know. If you do a significant amount of grease ask at the place where you typically getting it cleaned, if they would do that. Mirrors are delicate and most people would advise against messing with them.
My local photography store wouldn't touch it for example, and told me I have to send it in... for $300 bucks plus shipping on a K-3 with 50k actuations. wasn't worth it.

I also saw it on an old D700 and heard some older canon 6Ds had this issue. So I guess it happens to some. I even wonder if this could be the reason why some people think K-3 AF is great, while others think its inaccurate. Mine started accurate and got worse over time, so I started digging.

---------- Post added 01-31-18 at 06:37 PM ----------

btw. more info on the subject from when I dealt with it:
autofocus inaccuracy, green spots on the mirror? - PentaxForums.com