Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2018, 09:51 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Depending on the coatings on the filter rain droplets would slide down the filter rather quickly - the streaks would be short over a 1/8th second exposure. The lens used was the SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited which has a built in lens hood which would shield the filter pretty well. Water is transparent, exactly how are you suggesting rain could leave homogeneously illuminated steaks across the entire image?
The more common issue of light coming in through the viewfinder was already addressed. The OP said the viewfinder was blocked(*). Look for the unusual after the common causes have been ruled out. Water is one possibility; other people might come up with more ideas.

A drop of water might move slowly depending on filter coatings, wind, and other factors. Transparent water refracts and reflects light. If I read the original post correct, shutter speed was 30 seconds rather than 1/8, but that's not especially relevant. The drop speed could match any shutter speed with the correct amount of bad luck.

(*) Edit: I see the OP followed up saying they think it's light in the viewfinder. I guess "blocked" in the top post meant with a hand or something, not fully covered.

02-01-2018, 12:33 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The more common issue of light coming in through the viewfinder was already addressed. The OP said the viewfinder was blocked(*). Look for the unusual after the common causes have been ruled out. Water is one possibility; other people might come up with more ideas.

A drop of water might move slowly depending on filter coatings, wind, and other factors. Transparent water refracts and reflects light. If I read the original post correct, shutter speed was 30 seconds rather than 1/8, but that's not especially relevant. The drop speed could match any shutter speed with the correct amount of bad luck.

(*) Edit: I see the OP followed up saying they think it's light in the viewfinder. I guess "blocked" in the top post meant with a hand or something, not fully covered.
I normally cover the viewfinder with my hand. However as the light was so flat I know for a fact I just stood closer to the camera on a few shots to try and block any stray light with my body..I'm guessing it wasn't enough in this instance.

Thanks to everyone for helping
02-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #18

Location: Milky Way Galaxy, Planet Earth, Speeding towards the Virgo Supercluster
Photos: Gallery | Albums
A piece of black electrician's tape..nuth'n fancy required...
02-02-2018, 02:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
Due to lightroom throwing a wobbler, the lens isn't the 77mm Pentax, but sigma 17-70.
I have tons of mislabeled Images in my LR library - and this isn't just an issue with Pentax lenses sadly.

02-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Banding is caused by either long exposure noise at high ISO or caused by sensor posturization occur between bit transitions. Generally viewed as incorrect focus.This occurs as horizontal or vertical lines and sometimes magnified if using low class SD card. Post processing can remove these lines.
02-02-2018, 08:36 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only other thing that comes to mind is something affecting the shutter and that the shutter slit didn't make a smooth pass across the film (sensor) plane, but this was a time exposure. Stray light in the viewfinder.
02-02-2018, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder has no implication on color banding. It is purely camera sensors capability ( bit transition ).

See related site regarding color banding'

Colour banding - Wikipedia

If you have taken a photo with banding, take again and again without changing any settings and you will notice that not all photo has banding. Also banding occurs for photo taken during night time or no light from sun or other sources that can illuminate the viewfinder, but as I said not all photo taken has banding colors. This would mean that focus or exposure taken is at faulty settings amplified by sensors capability.