Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2018, 04:28 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Banding ?

Just looking through some RAW files in Lightroom taken at the weekend, and I have 2 shots with a strange banding effect as per the attached photo.

Hopefully it's easy to see, I've processed the shot slightly in camera RAW to try and make the problem more obvious.

Both the 2 shots with the problem were taken in a sequence of about 14 images that day, both were around 15 second long exposures and shots with shorter and longer exposure times were unaffected (varying from 1/8 sec to over 70 seconds).

The only similarity was that they were both in portrait mode and at 17mm on a Sigma 17-70 lens at ISO 200

For the record I always block the viewfinder on long exposures and there was no direct light behind me anyway.

I did use a lens hood and a ND filter but i've never had this problem before and the pictures taken after were fine too.

I use a Pentax KS1 and have the Slow Shutter Speed NR option to ON.

The shots were in RAW mode.

Anyone have any clues ?

Thanks

Robin

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-S1  Photo 
01-30-2018, 04:57 PM   #2

Is the banding the same in each photo?
01-30-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
It looks like something narrow and long entered the frame for a few seconds and left. Was it windy that day? Any chance it was the camera strap? (In portrait orientation with strap hanging down to one side, a bit of wind would loft it over one side of the lens.)
01-30-2018, 05:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

since you said you block the viewfinder when taking long exposures, there's still the possibility that light got to the sensor some other way than through the front of the lens or the back of the viewfinder... perhaps somewhere on the camera itself, perhaps through the lens... or perhaps through the filter? Is it a variable ND filter? Was it screwed on properly?

01-30-2018, 07:08 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My guess is some sort of card reading problem. If the photos are still on the card, try copying them to the computer again. It just looks electronic, not something in the image.
01-30-2018, 07:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This typically happens when light enters through the viewfinder, the internal reflections caused these bands to appear. you should have used the small black and easily misplaced viewfinder shade. Pentax really should use the Nikon style built in viewfinder shades.

Even standing behind the camera can't completely eliminate this effect.
01-31-2018, 01:12 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks everyone

01-31-2018, 12:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

plus 1 with digitalis

That thingy really gets easily misplaced and to use duck tape or something is not the ideal what with the sticky residue. Any other good tips for covering without the original cover?
01-31-2018, 01:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'd also agree with light coming in from the viewfinder. With a strong ND filter, it doesn't have to be sunlight directly hitting the viewfinder to have this effect. It's easy enough to test out.

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
That thingy really gets easily misplaced and to use duck tape or something is not the ideal what with the sticky residue. Any other good tips for covering without the original cover?
Gaffers tape is a cleaner option than duct tape. I've also wedged a piece of black cardstock* in the hotshoe and folded it down to cover the viewfinder.

*standard issue in my camera bag as part of a macro kit
01-31-2018, 02:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I took some thin (5mm) black polyurethane foam sheeting which I got at a hobby store, and shaped a small rectangle that neatly fits the eyecup of my viewfinder. I attach it with 3m removable poster tape which holds securely but peels without leaving residue (have to renew it from time to time). You can attach a little thicker piece of foam to the center of this "flap" to make a "handle" for easier handling when placing or removing. I stick the flap to a piece of release paper (like postage stamps come on) when not in use which keeps the poster tape fresh and from picking up dust, etc..
Attached Images

Last edited by Bob 256; 01-31-2018 at 02:25 PM.
01-31-2018, 02:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Personally I glued a keychain with a lobster clip to the eyepiece cover and I clip it to my tripod bag so it's always there.
01-31-2018, 03:14 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Light through the viewfinder has already been discussed. I'll offer another, less common possibility:

Water drops on the filter. If rain or spray landed on the top of the frame, gravity might carry the drops slowly downwards.
01-31-2018, 04:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Water drops on the filter. If rain or spray landed on the top of the frame, gravity might carry the drops slowly downwards
Depending on the coatings on the filter rain droplets would slide down the filter rather quickly - the streaks would be short over a 1/8th second exposure. The lens used was the SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited which has a built in lens hood which would shield the filter pretty well. Water is transparent, exactly how are you suggesting rain could leave homogeneously illuminated steaks across the entire image?

Last edited by Digitalis; 01-31-2018 at 04:41 PM.
01-31-2018, 05:00 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Depending on the coatings on the filter rain droplets would slide down the filter rather quickly - the streaks would be short over a 1/8th second exposure. The lens used was the SMCP-FA 77mm f/1.8 Limited which has a built in lens hood which would shield the filter pretty well. Water is transparent, exactly how are you suggesting rain could leave homogeneously illuminated steaks across the entire image?
Due to lightroom throwing a wobbler, the lens isn't the 77mm Pentax, but sigma 17-70.

Still used with a lens hood. No water on the lens and the shots of 30 secs and 1/8 second I also took were unaffected. I really think it's light in the viewfinder
01-31-2018, 05:09 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Robinta Quote
I really think it's light in the viewfinder
It is. I have seen this effect occur in images of my own with pentax and canon cameras.