Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
02-04-2018, 01:18 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Shooting in Auto

Hello Folks,
I have a new F-1. I've been out of Photography for quite a while, and new to Pentax. To get started, can I just shoot in Auto until I get used to Pentax and the different settings and still still get good raw files? I can't wait to shoot with my 15-30 mm.
Thank you,
Terry

02-04-2018, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you might want to consider getting an ebook on the K 1

Instantly download your Pentax eBook! (K-1, K-70,K-3, K-5, K-50, K-S2 and more DSLRs) - Page 8 - PentaxForums.com
02-04-2018, 01:36 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes you can! The Green "Auto" mode is great on the K-1. As you use it, not the changes in aperture, shutter speed, ISO setting and other adjustments the camera chooses with each shot. You may note that when focused near infinity the camera will choose F11 and the landscape JPG settings. For closeups, it will choose a macro setting with a large aperture. If you don't have time during your photoshoot, you can examine all of that after shooting. While I rarely use it, the green mode is great when I give the camera to someone else to use.
02-04-2018, 01:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't know if it's how the K-1 works, but the Green mode on other Pentax DSLRs only shoots JPEGs. It also locks you out of some settings like adjusting AF. You want to shoot in P mode instead. Then you can change settings and get more comfortable one step at a time.

02-04-2018, 02:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Great. I'll probably only use it for a week, or so. It sounds better than most. Thank you.
Terry
02-04-2018, 07:52 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congrats, RTFM and enjoy!
02-05-2018, 09:05 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I don't know if it's how the K-1 works, but the Green mode on other Pentax DSLRs only shoots JPEGs. It also locks you out of some settings like adjusting AF. You want to shoot in P mode instead. Then you can change settings and get more comfortable one step at a time.
If it only shoots jpeg, then I'm not using it. Thank you.
Terry

02-05-2018, 11:02 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
If it only shoots jpeg, then I'm not using it. Thank you.
Terry
Hi Terry

In AUTO mode on the K1 a number of settings are not available to you. Being able to change from JPEG to RAW capture is however not one of them. You can shoot JPEG/RAW/RAW+ in that mode.

I am a little confused however. Normally AUTO is considered a basic mode, and as such it does make a good place to start until you understand all the cameras settings. What I don't understand though is why shooting RAW is so important, as it is definitely an advanced form of capture, not for the beginner. You are aware that without proper processing with a decent RAW converter on your computer any images you produce from RAW files will be dull and lifeless ?
02-05-2018, 03:51 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The AUTO setting is mainly for having others take photos with your camera, since they usually have no clue as to how to use it, and might accidentally nudge a dial or button, which could ruin their results.

If you shoot in "P" Program mode, the camera automatically still does set your aperture and your shutter speed, and if you also have ISO sensitivity on AUTO ISO, it will adjust that also, and provide a correct exposure, according to its meter-reading of the lighting properties of the scene. "P" also allows you full access to making whatever adjustments you should wish to make. It is the most advanced fully automatic mode, over the AUTO mode.

In "P" mode, you also have immediate access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System- not found in other brands. When you would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than what the camera has selected, just use the thumb or finger dial to go ahead and choose what you want- simple as that! You have then shifted the camera into Av or Tv mode without having to first change the mode dial and then make your selection. The first click freezes the current setting, while subsequent clicks effectuate change. This is a very fast-operating, efficient control of your camera to meet your immediate photographic needs. What you select will stay put if lighting permits, or you turn off the camera, or use a touch of the green button to restore full Program operation. This is referred to as the Pentax Hyper Program mode.

When using the "M" Manual mode, the green button can be used to instantly set both aperture and shutter speed to the meter's center-point for "correct " exposure. This allows you to take fast meter readings of parts of your scene and determine these settings for yourself. Great for spot metering quickly. If you decide to keep the exposure the camera has set when using the green button, but would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button to freeze that exposure, then when you change either the aperture or the shutter speed, the other will follow along to preserve that exposure. This operational system is referred to as the Pentax Hyper Manual mode. Very fast and efficient compared to twirling the thumb and finger dials to set aperture and shutter speed to get your meter reading.

It is important that you optimize your camera's sharpening setting. The K-1 is probably similar to other current Pentax models, so you access the Custom Image menus via the "info" button, which will open up the quick links to various settings instead of having to scroll through many pages via the menu button. The first section is Custom Image, so hit "ok" to open all categories. In this case, the 4 buttons surrounding "ok" become navigating buttons. Your camera is set on the first category by default, which is "Bright". Hit "info" again to open it. Now scroll down to "S" at the bottom. By default it will likely be up by +1 from mid-point. But the K-1 is known as being set conservatively for sharpening. I recommend increasing to +2. Then, very important- using your thumb dial, put an "F" by the "S" to set Fine Sharpening, which will provide better fine detail in your images. Now hit "ok" to return to all categories. Move to the next- "Natural" and hit "info" to open it. Sharpening here will probably be at mid-point, but I recommend "S" settings to be the same as you've done in "Bright" including Fine Sharpening. Then hit "ok" and then move your camera setting back to being on "Bright", which is great for all-around shooting. Now you are done, so just turn off the camera, which will exit the screen.

There's nothing wrong at all with just shooting JPEG images, at least for a while until you become thoroughly familiarized with the K-1. You will get very fine imaging with this setup. Your D-FA 15-30mm is a very fine lens, indeed!

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-05-2018 at 04:00 PM.
02-06-2018, 01:39 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Hi Terry

In AUTO mode on the K1 a number of settings are not available to you. Being able to change from JPEG to RAW capture is however not one of them. You can shoot JPEG/RAW/RAW+ in that mode.

I am a little confused however. Normally AUTO is considered a basic mode, and as such it does make a good place to start until you understand all the cameras settings. What I don't understand though is why shooting RAW is so important, as it is definitely an advanced form of capture, not for the beginner. You are aware that without proper processing with a decent RAW converter on your computer any images you produce from RAW files will be dull and lifeless ?
Hi Peter,
I've always shot jpeg. Years ago, I had a Canon 5D and all L lenses. The jpegs were great, with excellent color. My sons stared playing sports, so I changed to a Nikon D3 for faster focus. Again with the best lens. Nikon's pegs were great, too. jpegs are all I know. I would adjust a few things and sharpen in processing. If I'm understanding correctly the K-1 is not that good in jPeg but very good raw files. In this post, I was trying to find out if jpeg files are very good. As usual, I'm going to do exactly what you recommend. Will probably be a lot less stressful. Thank you for your reply.
Terry
02-06-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
If I'm understanding correctly the K-1 is not that good in jPeg
Terry, you have been spending too much time on the DPR website I told you lots of those guys there wouldn't know a good picture if it fell on their heads.

To say the K1 is not that good at jpeg is like saying Ruinart cannot make a good champagne.
02-06-2018, 02:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The AUTO setting is mainly for having others take photos with your camera, since they usually have no clue as to how to use it, and might accidentally nudge a dial or button, which could ruin their results.

If you shoot in "P" Program mode, the camera automatically still does set your aperture and your shutter speed, and if you also have ISO sensitivity on AUTO ISO, it will adjust that also, and provide a correct exposure, according to its meter-reading of the lighting properties of the scene. "P" also allows you full access to making whatever adjustments you should wish to make. It is the most advanced fully automatic mode, over the AUTO mode.

In "P" mode, you also have immediate access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System- not found in other brands. When you would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed than what the camera has selected, just use the thumb or finger dial to go ahead and choose what you want- simple as that! You have then shifted the camera into Av or Tv mode without having to first change the mode dial and then make your selection. The first click freezes the current setting, while subsequent clicks effectuate change. This is a very fast-operating, efficient control of your camera to meet your immediate photographic needs. What you select will stay put if lighting permits, or you turn off the camera, or use a touch of the green button to restore full Program operation. This is referred to as the Pentax Hyper Program mode.

When using the "M" Manual mode, the green button can be used to instantly set both aperture and shutter speed to the meter's center-point for "correct " exposure. This allows you to take fast meter readings of parts of your scene and determine these settings for yourself. Great for spot metering quickly. If you decide to keep the exposure the camera has set when using the green button, but would rather have a different aperture or shutter speed, first hit the AE-L button to freeze that exposure, then when you change either the aperture or the shutter speed, the other will follow along to preserve that exposure. This operational system is referred to as the Pentax Hyper Manual mode. Very fast and efficient compared to twirling the thumb and finger dials to set aperture and shutter speed to get your meter reading.

It is important that you optimize your camera's sharpening setting. The K-1 is probably similar to other current Pentax models, so you access the Custom Image menus via the "info" button, which will open up the quick links to various settings instead of having to scroll through many pages via the menu button. The first section is Custom Image, so hit "ok" to open all categories. In this case, the 4 buttons surrounding "ok" become navigating buttons. Your camera is set on the first category by default, which is "Bright". Hit "info" again to open it. Now scroll down to "S" at the bottom. By default it will likely be up by +1 from mid-point. But the K-1 is known as being set conservatively for sharpening. I recommend increasing to +2. Then, very important- using your thumb dial, put an "F" by the "S" to set Fine Sharpening, which will provide better fine detail in your images. Now hit "ok" to return to all categories. Move to the next- "Natural" and hit "info" to open it. Sharpening here will probably be at mid-point, but I recommend "S" settings to be the same as you've done in "Bright" including Fine Sharpening. Then hit "ok" and then move your camera setting back to being on "Bright", which is great for all-around shooting. Now you are done, so just turn off the camera, which will exit the screen.

There's nothing wrong at all with just shooting JPEG images, at least for a while until you become thoroughly familiarized with the K-1. You will get very fine imaging with this setup. Your D-FA 15-30mm is a very fine lens, indeed!
Wow, this is very useful, Mike. Does P mode give me a raw file? Looks like a convenient mode. I will read up on that mode, tonight. Thank you very much for explaining it so well. I have Dementia so things are a little hard to get.
02-06-2018, 02:37 PM   #13
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think you will find a lot of answers to your questions if you choose to purchase the ebook I referenced below

you may want to spend time reviewing this - I found this by googling how to use the Pentax K 1

how to use the Pentax K 1 - Bing video

or other free resources

line 1 of the following chart indicates the capability of the K 1 and what exposure modes ( here explained ) will work with various Pentax lenses

" Exposure Modes-

M Manual exposure, you set shutter speed and aperture. Camera's exposure meter will indicate when the setting is correct.

M' Crippled manual exposure, you set shutter speed, lens will always stop down to its smallest aperture during exposure. Camera's exposure meter will indicate when the setting is correct.

M" Manual exposure without light meter.

M''' Manual exposure with stop down metering. You set the aperture on the lens, press the green button/AE-L button which stops down the lens and sets the shutter speed as per the metered value.

Av Automatic exposure, you set the aperture, the camera sets the shutter speed

Av' Automatic exposure, the camera sets the shutter speed, the lens is always at its smallest aperture.

Av" Automatic exposure, the camera sets the shutter speed, the lens is always at its widest aperture.

Sv Automatic exposure, you set the ISO, the camera sets the shutter and aperture, only on the K10D

TAv Automatic Exposure, you set the shutter speed and aperture while the camera automatically sets ISO, only on the K10D

Tv Automatic exposure, you set the shutter speed, the camera sets the aperture

Tv" Correct exposure may not be obtained, since the lens is always set at its widest aperture.

P Automatic exposure, the camera sets shutter speed and aperture. On some bodies more than one program line or a number of "Picture Modes" can be selected.

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensCompatibility.html

I have found this chart helpful as well:

http://www.mosphotos.com/PentaxLensesExplained.html

Last edited by aslyfox; 02-06-2018 at 03:02 PM.
02-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, the exposure mode selected does not relate to whether you've chosen RAW or JPEG imaging. "P" is a full-program automatic exposure mode, but with all options open, including the Pentax Hyper operation, as explained above. You may not find much reference to Hyper operation in the manual, as in recent years Pentax has not been making this feature clear in their manuals. Apparently they assume everyone knows of it by now- an unwise assumption! Just as I describe, it is very easy to use, in fact this feature makes the camera even easier to use and to make the adjustments you wish.

The only deficiency for JPEGs with the K-1 from what I see, is the K-1's in-camera sharpening is set on the low side. By following my above instructions step-by-step regarding that issue, your JPEG quality should be great! If you should have trouble in doing the setup, I'm sure a member of your family could help if they see my instructions. I am sure, once you get the hang of it, and see how easy using this camera is, you will love it!

The camera and its exposure modes are highly programmable with many options, as Aslyfox indicates, but if you are like me, you probably won't bother to make use of changing any pre-sets of these exposure modes. And yes, their usability does change when using some older Pentax lenses. But it seems this will not be an issue in your case at this time, since you are using current lens models.

Last edited by mikesbike; 02-06-2018 at 03:08 PM.
02-06-2018, 04:27 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Terry, you have been spending too much time on the DPR website I told you lots of those guys there wouldn't know a good picture if it fell on their heads.

To say the K1 is not that good at jpeg is like saying Ruinart cannot make a good champagne.
Ha, that's funny. Is the P mode jpeg, or just the green mode?
Terry

---------- Post added 02-06-18 at 04:51 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Yes, the exposure mode selected does not relate to whether you've chosen RAW or JPEG imaging. "P" is a full-program automatic exposure mode, but with all options open, including the Pentax Hyper operation, as explained above. You may not find much reference to Hyper operation in the manual, as in recent years Pentax has not been making this feature clear in their manuals. Apparently they assume everyone knows of it by now- an unwise assumption! Just as I describe, it is very easy to use, in fact this feature makes the camera even easier to use and to make the adjustments you wish.

The only deficiency for JPEGs with the K-1 from what I see, is the K-1's in-camera sharpening is set on the low side. By following my above instructions step-by-step regarding that issue, your JPEG quality should be great! If you should have trouble in doing the setup, I'm sure a member of your family could help if they see my instructions. I am sure, once you get the hang of it, and see how easy using this camera is, you will love it!

The camera and its exposure modes are highly programmable with many options, as Aslyfox indicates, but if you are like me, you probably won't bother to make use of changing any pre-sets of these exposure modes. And yes, their usability does change when using some older Pentax lenses. But it seems this will not be an issue in your case at this time, since you are using current lens models.
Ok Mike, I will follow your instructions, and start shooting. I'm really anxious to get started. I can do a lot with just my 15-30 and 24-70.
Terry